Start by marking “Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health” as Want to Read:
Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health

Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health

When our bodies start to feel stiff, sore, or tired, we often say that we're "getting old." But is that really the problem?

In this groundbreaking work, Thomas Hanna shows that much of the physical decline associated with aging is not inevitable but avoidable. Building on the work of Moshe Feldenkrais, Hanna's practical program for the mind and body proves once and for all
Published August 4th 2004 by Da Capo Press (first published January 21st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Somatics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somatics

Start your review of Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health
Jen Marin
In his book Somatics, Thomas Hanna, Ph.D. tackles the medical assumption that pain and degeneration are the inevitable result of the aging process. Not only that, he offers a simple plan to recover lost flexibility, balance, and posture. His exercises, he assures us, will bring us back into connection with our lost mobility while reducing pain and discomfort. It almost sounds too good to be true. But is it?

Most people suffer from pain and discomfort at some point in their lives. When this
Michael Paone
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Complete honesty: Somatics and Hanna Somatics in particular is one of the most important discoveries of my adult life. I'm 28 now and had incured a series of small muscle pulls in my lower body and then a groin pull (combined with horrible posture and alignment) that eventually threw my whole body into a cycle of degeneration and discomfort. Somatics is the one discipline that is helping me to unravel these patterns. I literally feel 10 years younger.

Hanna's greatest insight is that we are both
John F Taylor
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am amazed that this book hasn't taken off. Somatics is such a simple but life-changing technique.
Cliff Moyce
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone over the age of 40 should read this book. We do not have to lose our mobility as we get older. We do not have to suffer chronic back pain. Thomas Hanna shows how to protect our bodies and thus avoid things like traumatic surgery.
Sabriel
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga, health
Though I liked his ideas and explanations the book could have done with a little bit less medicine bashing (that got boring quickly). The third of the book that actually deals with the exercises that one can do to improve body awareness was not a clear as it could have been. The exercises were demonstrated with wooden puppets (the ones normally used for drawing anatomically correct positions). In the black and white print the puppets appear almost black and a lot of the contrast of limbs is ...more
Jun 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has wrestled with chronic pain
This is a great first-encounter with the topic of sensory motor amnesia, and so much of it rang true for me. It is based on the Feldenkrais method of dealing with chronic pain. Makes a whole lot of sense.
Foxthyme
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, spiritual
Excellent book to learn how to regain back all of your natural range of motion using simple exercises. Valuable. Not a 5 star simply because I think the pics could have been much better.
Marci
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've only just finished reading the book and haven't had a chance yet to experiment with the exercises, but it seems like a useful way to think about body and motion.
That said, I feel like Hanna makes some extreme claims for his system. I sincerely doubt it's the answer to all ailments of aging. But it certainly seems like a reasonable bit of preventative maintenance one could add to one's routine.
Larissa
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Very interesting. A lot of the information resonated with me and made me think differently about aging and how I move my body. Exercises appear to be helping my scoliatic back become more relaxed and flexible again. Minus half a 🌟 because exercise pictures are a little fuzzy and low quality.
Oleg Vovchuk
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
То, что мы вкладываем в нашу жизнь, определяет и то, что мы от нее получим. Мы должны думать о вкладе в жизнь не менее серьезно, чем о вкладе в какое-либо финансовое предприятие или в другой вид бизнеса...
Chayzat Khovalyg
Потрясающая книга. Обязательна к прочтению, если хотите быть вечно молодым и здоровым.
Grace
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are wanting to learn the stretches to help you and your clients this is a book to read. Especially if tur trainings in this technique is to far away.
Licneses Masage Therpaist.
Andrew Zachary
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book and field of study is revolutionary. Read the book, or just find a practitioner to work with. This will change your life.
Akshay
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read that drives home the points, 'You get better at what you practice every day,' and that you really don't have to grow old if you don't want to.
Raghu Hudli
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Somatics is a very interesting and reassuring book. The author motivates the reader to be aware how we feel our bodies internally. The theory of Sensory Motor Amnesia - the habituated state of forgetfulness of our muscular contractions is the corner-stone of Somatics. The author cites many examples of how he relieved the muscular and bodily pain of many of his patients by creating awareness of their muscular contractions and teaching them to relax muscles.

The author's theory and claim are that
culley
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trauma, somatic, meridian
This book debunks the myth of aging so prevalent in American culture. The deteriorating conditions we normally associate with aging are actually the development of sensory-motor amnesia in response to positive and negative stressors. All this is explained in clear, easy to consume language. The images in the book are relatively poor quality black and white images of a wooden artist mannequin demonstrating different postures. The last third of the book are somatic exercises based on the ...more
Patrick Peltier
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you have posture issues I can see few books that help give better awareness than this. I would also recommend Move Without Pain. I used this for back and ITB issues. It namely corrected my hip problems.
Josie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful resource for bodyworkers, movement professionals, yoga/pilates teachers, and anyone interested in somatic exercise. Highly recommend; This book will stay in my collection for reference for years to come.
C.J. Prince
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to Feldenkrais movement in the early '80s. Somatics has grown out of that background. If you have pain in your body, you are always seeking answers for a safe, enduring way to improve the quality of life.

This book gives hope.
Erin
Jan 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth looking into! Okay, never quite finished it just skimmed through. But it had a lot of good info, I do believe that we can be unaware of our bodies and may be flexing/straining certain muscles subconsciously and over time that can cause a lot of aches and pains elsewhere...
Heather
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-fitness
What a wonderful resource. So glad I read this book. Since I first read Moshe Feldenkrais I have been very interested in the mind body connection. Thomas Hanna has a great program and his insights on aging and sensory motor amnesia are right on. I love taking control on my own body!
Alexander Y.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The possible reason for the problems (pain) in the back and other parts of the body is very often the loss of control of the muscels. This book helps to understand the problem and gives exercises to handle it.
LizzardN
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great information. The exercises are helping my posture and pain. But, the exercises are hard to follow... Somewhat poorly written. Also, the author's attitude is a bit preachy.
Alan Inglis
Feb 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very difficult to read. Very poor diagrams.
Type too small
Janie
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body-works
Essential for anyone interested in the workings of the body.
Justin
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: posture_body, health
Not much information on why to do a particular exercise. Exercises are hard to understand due to poor quality images (at least in the version I read).
Gary
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good technical but readable book on the mind/body connection with lots of good exercises.
Cole

• Net of Being
  • I Am Here Now: Field Notes for a Curious and Creative Mind
  • Our Women on the Ground: Essays by Arab Women Reporting from the Arab World
  • Letting Go: The Pathway To Surrender
  • The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • Eat Yourself Healthy: An easy-to-digest guide to health and happiness from the inside out
  • The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners
  • Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN
  • Nine Lives
  • Extra Time: 10 Lessons for an Ageing World
  • The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards
  • Take Six Girls: The Lives of the Mitford Sisters
  • The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
  • The Rough Guide to the Netherlands
  • The Way We Eat Now
  • Why the Dutch are Different: A Journey into the Hidden Heart of the Netherlands