Start by marking “Helen J. Stewart: First Lady of Las Vegas” as Want to Read:
Helen J. Stewart: First Lady of Las Vegas

Helen J. Stewart: First Lady of Las Vegas

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Known as the mistress of the Mormon Trail, Helen J. Stewart not only paved the way for women in the west, but also was instrumental in laying the groundwork for the future of Las Vegas.Born in the Midwest in the mid-1800s, uprooted and transplanted as a young girl into the frenzied gold rush days in California, Helen J. Stewart experienced the rigors of pioneer life early. ...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Stephens Press

To ask other readers questions about Helen J. Stewart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen J. Stewart

April
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History Buffs
Shelves: non-fiction
A short, concise history of a woman that together with her husband settled Las Vegas after other attempts at colonization had failed. It's truly amazing what she accomplished, especially given the fact that her husband was murdered, leaving her with several small children to care for and expecting another child at the time. Instead of leaving Las Vegas to go live with her mother, she stayed on to take care of their ranch which included an orchard, cattle, crops, etc. She was a friend to the Paiu ...more
Claire
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the true story of the first female pioneer to live in Las Vegas. Like myself, she came to Vegas not knowing quite what to expect, not expecting to stay very long, and, quite frankly, not too keen on the idea. I don’t need to tell anyone that life was considerably tougher as a rancher in the second half of the 19th century than it is now, though, and Helen is a much tougher woman than I am.

click here to read the rest of my review of this book
Amber
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love the writing style, the content, I even love the little curlicues at the corners of the pages. And for those haters who couldn't quite understand my Pioche vacation weekend last year, I am vindicated! So much fascinating history. I'm definitely going to read more from these authors.
Janelle
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very intriguing read. Having lived in Las Vegas most of my life I enjoyed learning about its early history. Factual read with dates that made it hard to follow at times but I got through it fast.
GelGal