Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  28,582 ratings  ·  1,068 reviews
Collects: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight, #1–5

Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers-newly legion-have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything's fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains. Meanwhile, one of the "Buffy" decoy slayers is going through major pain of her
Published October 31st 2007 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

·  28,582 ratings  ·  1,068 reviews

Jlawrence
Apr 20, 2008 rated it liked it
As a big Buffy and Joss Whedon fan, I really, really wanted to love this and expected to be giving it five stars, but I was somewhat disappointed. First, the good -- it's a fun and fast-paced read, the art is excellent overall, and it's of course great to see these characters again. Whedon's patented snappy dialog is in full effect, providing several awesome laugh-out-loud moments.

Small things that bothered me: Amy and a bizarrely resurrected Warren are not the most interesting villians; likewis
Virginia Books
Reading about Buffy after Buffy’s last episode is something that I would never expect years ago.
Reading about Buffy season 8, written or supervised by Whedon himself is kinda dream for my inner nerd. Because that nerd is pretty alive (and proud). As alive as Buffy Anne Summers, profesional slayer, is.

Everything ended like this:

And now it starts with a complete blast, outstanding humor and a fabulous setting. Too fabulous for a tv show budget I guess, and that’s one of the reasons we have the c
Kat Kennedy
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Part 1 of my shameless attempt to get my Reading Tracker back on track.

This totally, totally counts as a book.

Helen Power
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I read this because I learned that Kiersten White's "Slayer" is set after season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'd started this volume a few years ago, but I stopped. It just doesn't feel like Buffy to me. That's not to say it isn't good. It is. But it's a lot more grandiose with huge settings and (even more) ridiculous plot ideas. They bring back a few too many old characters from the TV show that might have been better off left buried, or, at the very least, brought back more gradually.

That
Fables&Wren
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

I thought this was hilarious.

For example, here is Dawn as a giant.

Ummm, a few friends are back and they don't like Buffy and team up with some evil that we know nothing about besides that they are evil.

The last issue was super sad and I will never read that one again.

It's Buffy guys, just read it. You know it's enjoyable. Josh Whedon, as usual, will break your heart and mend it with the comical sarcasm that we all know and love. The humor that was in the show is still in the co
Ana O
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tvandmovies
In every generation there is a chosen one. She alone will stand against the vampires the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the slayer. *cue epic music*

Team Spike?

buffy_angel_00

Whatever. Team Buffy.

buffy
Grüffeline
Klopf, klopf, gesunder Menschenverstand will rein, aber die Tür ist abgeschlossen.

Ich liebe Buffy, ich habe alle Folgen mehr als einmal gesehen (und trotzdem habe ich das Gefühl, dass ich nichteinmal mehr die Hälfte von dem weiß, was in den sieben Staffeln so passiert ist). Aber dieser Comic hat mich leider mehr verwirrt als unterhalten. :(
James DeSantis
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A re-read. Still as fun as before.

My wife is watching buffy for the first time (I finally got her to watch it) and I felt like actually trying to catch up on the comic world of buffy since it's like 12 fucking seasons long now.

So this takes place after a crap load of Slayer's are now with Buffy. Also, Dawn is a giant after having sex. Oh and Willow is still going around being a witchy witch. Xander is now like Nick fury too, but we all knew that would happen.

Good: So the good fight is still t
Taschima
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am reading this, in anticipation of this:

description

I love Buffy, like love love Buffy, and the end of season 7 was a little hard to swallow while continuing with my "normal" life. Back then I didn't have the money to buy these for myself, but today is a new age and I am ready to get back to season 8 and beyond.

Also, this:

description

I enjoyed the first 5 comics of the new and improved (maybe) Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I do appreciate, as a long time fan, that now Joss gets to explore crazy ass routes that would hav
The Flooze
I initially scoffed at the thought of a GN continuation of the television series. I'll admit that I wasn't particularly enthused by graphic novels in general, plus part of me thought this was merely a way to keep the franchise making money. Having read this first one, I was pleasantly surprised (although, since the script is from Whedon himself, I should have had more faith).

The story stayed true to the feel of the TV show: Buffy kicking butt while still feeling oddly detached, Xander cracking
Dan
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Okay, it's been a long time since I've watched the TV show. Used to be a big fan of it (YES...I'm a guy and I watched Buffy...she's a hot badass who kills vampires! And it was well written!).

This book made me remember how much I liked the show.

This is Season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Everyone thought that Joss Whedon ended the show because he thought it was time for him to just end it. But the truth is that the fans wanted more, so they got this. And Joss Whedon said one of the reasons he
Amy | shoutame
I was so excited to get into the Buffy comics having only recently discovered them. I am a massive fan of the television show and couldn't wait to delve into the world of Buffy and the Scoobies again!

- So this is the comic series that continues on where the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer leaves off. I wasn't sure what to expect but I didn't get into it as much as I had hoped to.

- I have no qualms with the delivery of the story - the illustrations, format and typeface were great and I
Charles
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: hardcore fans
I finally got my hands on some Buffy comics, which totally exposes my nerddom, but I can't hold it in.

This collection of the first four comics of the "Season 8" series are shocking and interesting, going places the television show never could while remaining true to the characters and their histories. What's most surprising are the voices here, consistent with each actors' portrayals, and the new mysteries created by the time gap between the episode "Chosen" and the first panel of the comic.

I ca
Kimberley doruyter
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i loved the tv show, still cant stop watching it.
so i was nervous going into the comic.
but i loved it, problem is now ive read it i have to get my hands on the next one.
Tim Pendry
Unengaging graphic sequel - apparently the first 'episodes' in a notional Season 8 - to the TV Series, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. It misses the point - the Buffy series was fantasy, sure, but it was also about the psychological development of, and the tensions within, its Scooby Gang.

'Season 8' (at least based on reading this first volume) is filled with stereotypes and seems a forced attempt to drive the 'girl power' message of the last minutes of the final show of Season 7 to ridiculous leng
Vanessa
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Buffy ran for 7 seasons, became a cultural institution, a subject for college courses, and, most importantly, ended on a high note. Not bad for a show on a fledgling network based on a movie that flopped.

Then season 8 was released in comic form. Years later, I finally get around to reading the first TPB and......eh, it was just ok. Joss Whedon wrote it, so it should be just as joyously ass kicky, pithy, and feminist as the show. Instead it feels like taking a swig of Diet Coke when you expected
Cath
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
4/5 stars.
I've been putting off reading these comics for a while, but after a recent Buffy rewatch, I thought I should give the comics a go!

It was great to see the Scooby Gang back together, they've all grown up so much. But they still have the same humour and witty dialogue that I love so much.
I was lost a few times but I got the hang of things, I can't wait to pick up the rest!
Ryan Buckby
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved the buffy the vampire slayer television show it is still one of my favourite tv shows of all time and I didn't really like how it ended and i honestly did want one last season but was never able to get that.

This comic picks up after the events of the last episode of season seven, buffy and the newly made slayers are now out in full force trying to fight and survive, All the slayers are now in separate squads run by one of the group. There are multiple buffy's posing as decoys while the
Anne♡loves♡romance
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Maybe I'm too big a fan!
Alex
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well. I am pretty much IN LOVE with Buffy since 1997 and the first episode came out!
I mean badass, gorgeous and funny female lead. Awesome world-building. Awesome secondary characters. First LGBT lead character (even though they shouldn't have killed Tara... Still mad about this!)
So, yeah!!! Buffy will always be a BIG WIN for me!! ALWAYS!
This first volume didn't disappoint. I'll get to next real quick!!!

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Sesana
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Fans of Buffy will at least want to read this, the official continuation of the series. Fortunately, they'll probably like it, too. The dialog and characterization are as good as they ever were. Reading this, I could easily hear the actors' voices in my head, especially with Xander. The setup is pretty much exactly what the series left us with: instead of one Slayer, there's now hundreds, and the Scoobies are now trying to organize, train, and lead them. (Bonus points for Andrew's cheese-tastic ...more
Evan
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tamara, TJ, other Buffy fans
Recommended to Evan by: Jordan
Shelves: graphic-novel
I was a late convert to Buffy--Season 7 to be exact. My ex LOVED the series, and initially I scoffed. But with his help, and armed with previous seasons on DVD, I too fell in love with these wonderful characters.

This trade paperback collects the first several issues of the newly-sanctioned, Joss Whedon-written and approved "Season 8" comic book. Whedon's trademark gift for gab is delightfully present, as were most of my favorite characters. His Buffy, Xander, and Willow are spot-on. So much so,
Lainey
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I am a super Buffy superfan. Ask me any question, I will know the answer. It is my favorite television show, Buffy has been my ultimate role model since I was 11, the series and I go way back.

With that being said, it wasn't until 2014 that I decided to pick up the comic series, which is canon, according to the god that is Joss Whedon.

After reading it, it was ok. I'll be reading the rest because I'm interested. But I did feel some of the magic that made the tv series incredible were lost in the
Rachael
This was really cool- just like watching the show. Only thing is it's been about 6 years since I last watched the whole series, so I forgot some things. I probably would have enjoyed this even more if
I had just finished season 7 before this, with all the little details fresh in my mind. Good job Joss!! I look forward to other volumes of Buffy :D
Dichotomy Girl
3rd Read: 08/17/2015
2nd Read: 5/21/2014
Original Read: 4/7/2009
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I'm interested enough to read the next one, mostly because I'm attached to the characters, but this first volume didn't super impress me. Not really into Xander as some important command guy, there wasn't nearly enough Willow, and the art could be better, especially since I'm trying to recognize characters based on the actors who played them in the show. When Giles first showed up I couldn't tell it was him! I know the art is fairly standard for comics; maybe I just have high standards from read ...more
Hannah  Mshar
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The first half of this was a bit scattered and kind of confusing, but it found it's groove and I am looking forward to the next volume!
LydiaMae
Aug 11, 2018 marked it as the-maybe-tbr
My brother was named after one of the characters in this. It better be good...
Julie
"This isn't about demons at all, is it? It's about women. It's about power and it's about women and you just hate those two words in the same sentence, don't you?"

Borrowed from a coworker, read in a single sitting at my desk! It's been literal years since I finished Buffy the show, and I've only seen it the once, so my memory is probably hazier than a lot of the fans reading this series. But this first volume of "Season Eight" still did a good enough job of contextualising old villains who poppe
Castle Dracula: Buffy 17 13 Oct 05, 2016 02:20PM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: Adaptation Read 4 11 May 14, 2015 04:42PM
Comic books/Graph...: July: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home 2 9 Jul 01, 2013 10:48AM
Buffy - what went wrong my dear? 2 41 Jan 18, 2013 11:56AM
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Core (Season 9, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: I Wish (Season 10, Volume 2)
  • Spike: After the Fall
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3
  • The Lost Slayer (The Lost Slayer, #1-4)
  • The Book of Fours (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #23)
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 (8 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life (Season 8, Volume 4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
“The thing about changing the world... Once you do it, the world's all different.” 119 likes
“It's about women. It's about power and it's about women and you just hate those two words in the same sentence, don't you?” 53 likes