Start by marking “Goodnight, My Duckling” as Want to Read:
Goodnight, My Duckling

Goodnight, My Duckling

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Award-winning author/illustrator Nancy Tafuri presents a charming bedtime companion to her classic Caldecott Honor winner HAVE YOU SEEN MY DUCKLING?.

The sun is setting and it's time for Mama to lead her youngsters home. One dawdling duckling falls behind, drawn to the pond creatures who call, "Goodnight, Little Duckling!" as he paddles by. Soon, Mama and the other duckling
Published February 1st 2005 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight, My Duckling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight, My Duckling

Karen
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once of the first books I bought for my son, before he was even born, was Nancy Tafuri's I Love You, Little One. I started reading it to him when he was only a few weeks old, and now that he is almost four-and-a-half, we still read it. I picked up I Love You, Little One because of the wonderful cover art. I picked up Goodnight, my Duckling for the same reason.

The text in Goodnight, My Duckling is simple enough for my son to read on his own, and it is charming enough that he wants to read it. Tho
KC
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A classic story by writer/illustrator Nancy Tafuri about a mamma duck and her ducklings preparing for bedtime.
Gina Valdez
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carter-books
I absolutely loved reading this book to Carter before bedtime tonight! He loved it too! :)
Kelli
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Our most recent obsession. We checked this book out from the library a couple of weeks ago and basically have it memorized now. A mommy duck and her ducklings are going home at night to go to sleep. One little duckling starts to fall behind because he/she is looking around and checking things out. Eventually, the little duckling is lost and sad. A nice turtle (that is lurking behind the entire time - a little stalkerish) offers to help and takes the baby duckling to his/her mom. At the end all o ...more
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
A mother duck announces it is time for bed, and one little duckling wonders off across the pond. All of the pond animals say good night to the wandering duckling. Finally, turtle asks the duckling if it is lost, and takes the duckling home to its family. Once the lost duckling is home safe, the whole duckling family falls asleep for the evening.
The beautiful illustrations are done in great detail. The illustrations are done with watercolor. The ducklings and other animals have very sweet frien
jacky
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a play group story today. I didn't hear or see all of it because Natalie decided to get up and go back to playing, but I liked what I did see and hear. It appears to be a traditional good night book as the ducklings head home to their mother and are said good night to by various animals in different ways. The illustrations are mostly realistic and have lots of fine details.

Heard the rest of the story today at play group. I liked the variation this book takes near the end. The duckling
Mary
This book was super short, but it would be good to read to a very young child. The pictures are large and colorful, and there are many animals introduced in the pictures, which could spark lots of dialogic reading. One little duckling gets lost, but luckily there are lots of friends around to help guide the way home.
Rob
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A gift for H. from sarah, this has become one of The Boy's favorite bedtime stories. And I can see why. It's straightforward, has the right amount of suspense, and a quick resolution with a clear hero. Literarily astute parents will also notice the obvious Chekhov's gun in our hero, The Turtle.

A clear winner.
Drew Graham
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A duckling takes his time following his family when it's time for bed, and soon he might need some help catching up.

This is another simple and sweet story about keeping up and staying safe (and again involving a duckling!). It has soothing illustrations more on the side of realism and makes you wonder how many times one book can repeat the word "duckling".
Jenna
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a simple book for younger children to read and comprehend. It tells a short story of a duckling that cannot find its way home for bed. It gets the help of friends and sets a good moral for young readers.
Vicki
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
You can just about share this book using the illustrations only-they are fantastic, beautifully done and there is much to look at without be crowded or overwhelming. It's nature shown at its best.

The text has short simple sentences.
Leah
A sweet and simple story about a duckling swimming home for the night. A number of animals say good night along the way. Tafuri's illustrations are perfect, as always. Well suited to toddler times.
Charity
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Sarah loved this one and giggled every time she saw the ducky riding the helpful turtle.
Chris
Wonderful story. My two year old was so worried, then relieved as the story happily ended.
Tricia
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Adorable option for bedtime storytime for toddlers...little text, bold and bright illustrations with a gentle flow.
Polly
Very sweet. And how many books contain a realistic picture of a porcupine?
Susan
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Literacy skills:

Print motivation-this calming bedtime story is a favorite for children.
Meg McGregor
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
One of the most beautiful bedtime stories. What child does not love ducklings?

Simple text and breathtaking illustrations will lull your little one to sleep!
Jessica
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: boston, picture
I read this 4-5 times a day. Boston just walks aorund with it saying "duckckckck"
Meg McGregor
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
One of the most beautiful bedtime stories. What child does not love ducklings?

Simple text and breathtaking illustrations will lull your little one to sleep!
Beth
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The illustrations are even more vibrant and beautiful in this book.
Rebecca Swartz
Aug 19, 2011
Kristie
Oct 16, 2007
Nancy Tafuri
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nancy Tafuri is probably best known as the creator of Have You Seen My Duckling?, a 1985 Caldecott Honor Book described by Parent’s Choice as “beautifully precise yet emotionally affecting.” Trained as a graphic designer, Tafuri has authored more than 45 books over 30 years for the very young.

When Tafuri first attempted picture book illustration in the late 1970’s picture books were aimed at five-
More about Nancy Tafuri...