Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History

The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Puts world events in a context that is relevant for today's students and casual readers Updated to include the significant events from the past several years
ebook, 2nd Edition, 400 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Alpha Books (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History

وضحى
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books

What a wonderful book!
It's the first step that let you look at the big picture of the world without going through the boring, long, unnecessary details. After having read this amazing book, you will be ready to dig in deeply at any spot of the history to seek for specific events.
I honestly enjoyed it and I recommend it as a corner stone for viewing the world history.
Again, it is a great book, indeed!
Chuck Heintzelman
Well, it was interesting. Although, I feel like more of an idiot after reading it than when I started. The problem is by the time I reached our modern world in the book, most of the earlier information (like about Mesopotamia or Sumeria or the Chinese empires or even Greece and Rome) fell out of my brain.
Naftoli
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The Idiot's Guide to world history contains more information than the Dummies book. I read the Idiot's guide fast and it's enough to get the obtain going. There entire world histories published now which revolve around a commodity, e.g., salt. These are endlessly fascinating.
Ameya Pramod Bondre
Exactly what it says... A very precise, concise and to the point book on world history... Loved it... !!!
Sou Okawara
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The most impressive era for me was one of the French Revolutionary. Starting from that point, in a sense, the world history become more easily understandable. That is, there appear ,so called, Progressives and Conservatives in European continent. I knew, for the first time, why Napoleon is so famous in the "world" history. He made International relationships in the modern world, as a defender of the Progressive stream of political power, generated in 1789.
Once, I've read an article before that
Haley Keller
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I really liked this book. The problem is I found at least one mistake, and it left me worrying that there were even more that I didn't catch. At one point in the book (I'd give a page number, but I left the book at home when I came to college), the author talks about a French colony on the island of Cuba. He's obviously referring to Haiti and means the island Hispaniola because I think most people could tell you that Cuba was a Spanish colony. And Cuba and Haiti are not on the same islan ...more
roulette
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted an easy overview to World History, and I got it. Unfortunately when I began reading this (quite some time ago) I forgot the ultimate use of looking at the Appendices and taking notes. There is an Appendix that outlines core terms and names that you ought to zero in on, and after finishing the book, I couldn't tell you what most of them are.

However, it wasn't too grueling to generally enjoy, and it did help me learn. It was a starting point, and now I will move on to more detailed books
Otto Silver
May 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I hardly made it past the first chapter and I was already wondering f I should continue. Needless to say,I never finished.

The author treats the Bible as if it is fact. He thinks the Great Wall of China is visible from space and countless other absurd pieces of "information".

Idiot's Guides are generally good, but in this case, if you want to know something useful about world history, then I suggest looking somewhere else.
Holly
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I didn't totally finish this book but I loved what I read. It simplified World History beautifully and I began a list of what I'd like to read more about. I'd still be working my way through if it weren't for it coming due at the library...I'll probably check it out again and finish it some day.
Borah
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: useful-books
I liked it. That's a lot of history to cram into a (relatively) small space. I think Mr. Hall did a pretty fine job. For all of my thoughts and feelings, you can read my review here at MyEntertainmentWorld.ca.
Santhosh Chikurambotla
I always wanted to know the complete time line of human history - from early humans to tribes to empires to colonizations to world wars to cold war to modern global economy. This is just that book,,, Enjoyed it completely,,, Have to find a similar book about India,,, will keep looking,,,
Erin
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I didn't get to finish this guys because I maaay have left it in another country. However, what I did get through I greatly enjoyed. It was a good high level overview with enough detailed points to keep it interesting and memorable. I might go out and get another copy!
Sharon Hallman
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastic-read
What a great book. Even if you are a good history student this is great review. Easy to ready and written with humor. If you hated history in school you will love this everyone should read it.
Shishir
Wonderful synopsis
Jim
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good coverage of world history.
Melissa
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction, 2015
Good overview of world history to use as a study guide.
Jose
Euro-centric as hell.
Daniel Enciso
es un libro literal para entender de donde vienen las culturas. no se adentra mucho en la esencia de cada pueblo pero para entender el enfoque completo es buen libro.
Mr. Stauffer
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how the authors broke up the sections in this book. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a quick refresher course on some very important beginnings.
Footloose
  • All the Way to Berlin: A Paratrooper at War in Europe
  • Great Battles
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • Russia: A Short History
  • The War of the Running Dogs: How Malaya Defeated the Communist Guerrillas 1948-1960
  • The Atlantic and Its Enemies: A History of the Cold War
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History
  • Battleground / Line Of Fire / Close Combat (The Corps, #4, #5, #6)
  • What We Saw: The Events of September 11, 2001--In Words, Pictures, and Video
  • Touching History: The Untold Story of the Drama That Unfolded in the Skies Over America on 9/11

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren
    $14.99 $1.99