Start by marking “Angel Board” as Want to Read:
Angel Board

Angel Board

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

Not all angels are sane.

Someone saved David Barker’s life, but he doesn’t know who—or what—she is. Now he’s haunted by the image of that beautiful, nebulous vision with the features of a woman and determined to find out why she appeared when he almost died. David uses an angel board in hopes of contacting her, and unfortunately for him, he succeeds. This angel has loved

Published (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Board, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Board

Karl
Possession is one hard topic to try and write about, Mr. Ruffty has done an admirable job making this novel fresh and highly readable. I never realized such things existed, so when I started reading this book I also did a little bit of research.

Angel Boards look a little like the controversial 'Ouija Boards' but that is really the only place where the similarity lies. Traditionally you include the letters A-Z and the words YES and NO. You can also include the numbers 1-9 and 0. With an Ouija boa
Robjr73
This is my second Rufty read (previous being Pillowface) and I was entertained. For one thing I read this in a day. It’s an easy read, moves fast and it’s only about 250 pages or so. Great idea, some scary scenes,never boring and would make for a decent horror movie that I would enjoy seeing but critics would probably hate. (Maybe like 20% on the tomato meter)

What’s lacking most in this book is character depth. Also the writing style, dialogue and just the way the characters in his books behave
Kevin Lucia
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristopher Rufty's debut novel, Angel Board, is an interesting twist on the classic possession story; but in this case, instead of demonic possession, the protagonist faces what could almost be considered angelic possession. A fast-paced thriller that offers some intriguing concepts about the hereafter, Angel Board is another solid rock in the foundation of Samhain's fledgling Horror Line.

David Barker has decided enough is enough. His dreams have died, his long-time girlfriend has cheated on him
Cathy
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read lots of Kristopher Rufty's books and I have never been disappointed. I loved this book. I was riveted with the whole concept and the execution was almost perfect. I was stunned to find that this was actually Rufty's debut novel. He has certainly come a long way with his writing but all the characteristics of his later work is still apparent in this book.

The only thing I found frustrating with this book was the actions and dialogue of some of the characters. Sam, for instance, goes from
Dan Corley
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this solid debut novel from Kristopher Rufty. He has been compared to Richard Laymon, but my opinion is that this novel felt like a mixture of Jeff Strand and Ronald Malfi. This has all the intense and jaw dropping moments of a Strand thriller with the interestingly detailed feel of a Malfi novel. The ending felt like a Malfi ending, which is a good thing. Rufty also has his own uniqueness that I think mostly guys will find largely appealing. He gives you an early 90's slasher film vib ...more
Tim
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Angel Board is a fun, fast paced horror novel that I enjoyed very much. This novel had good characters that seemed very realistic to me. The pace moved along quickly and never seemed to lag. The concept of Angel Boards and guardian angels was one I had not thought about before and seemed plausible to me. There was just enough gore that fit the plot perfectly and was never gratuitous. The ending was very good and was slightly unexpected. Overall I enjoyed this first novel very much and it is high ...more
David Bernstein
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kristopher Rufty's Angel Board is one hell of a novel. This is truly an original idea with an old school horror feel. Classic. Absolutely loved it. I highly recommend this book for ANY horror fan. I felt like i was reading an old Leisure title. Great characters, gore, tension and detail. Samhain Publishing is doing a great job! Where Leisure books used to be the IT in horror, Samhain is now the next IT place to go for horror.
Nikki
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I think this is one of the most unique premises for a horror story that I've read in awhile. Not often do we associate angels with terror, but this book certainly disproved that thought process. Love that knows no bounds, love without rationale, can often be turned into obsession which is rarely anything but deadly.
Mick Ridgewell
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kristopher Rufty creates a host of likeable characters. Even the alcoholic bitchy sister has an endearing side to her. He draws us in with excellent character development, then pulls the rug out with a fury. An angel that is far from angelic sends this tale down a dark road. Angel Board is a debut novel that is destined for the screen.
Jason L
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful stuff from this contemporary horror writer

Always dubious about starting a new novel, I had heard enough about Kris to want to try one of his. I’m so glad I did. The story is a good one, well told/written, and the 2014 afterward is something pretty much every writer should be inspired by.

This Clive barker nut will be reading lots more from Mr Ruffin!
Dallas Kitchens
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
well this is my first kristopher rufty book and based on how good i think the book is ill read more. i found it really entertaining and spooky. Angels are demons only they represent the light not the dark. walking a fine line between heaven and hell.
RumbleBee
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Supernatural Horror Fans
Shelves: supernatural
Angel Board is the second Kristopher Rufty novel I’ve read, the first being Pillowface. Because I enjoyed Pillowface I decided it best to pick up Kristopher’s debut novel before reading any of his others.

After a failed attempt at suicide, David gets an angel board (pretty much an ouija board) from his mother of all people. It seems she has used the board in the past to get through troubled times and thinks it will help her so in in the same way. After using the Angel Board, David begins to stri
SFReader
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Angel Board, by Kristopher Rufty is a horror novel set in the southern United States. It takes place in modern times and focuses around David, a man who had recently attempted suicide.

After his failed attempt at taking his own life, David's mother gives him an Angel Board for Christmas. This board, much like the traditional Ouija board, is used to contact one's guardian angel. David quickly discovers that the board works only too well. He not only contacts his angel, but also finds out that she
Frazer Lee
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kristopher Rufty takes the quirkiest, bitchiest cast of characters since 'Dark Shadows', then shakes them up with a splatter of gore and a double shot of sex and violence to deliver an explosive horror cocktail. Rufty's debut cracks along at a fair old pace and is a fun read. So when you are done playing with your Lament Configuration, give the Angel Board a try - if you dare.
Steve
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took some convincing, but I finally decided to give this book a chance. It has paid off immensely. I devoured this book in two work days (when I read the most). It is extremely fast-paced with enough sex, blood, and action to keep you hooked. The ending does not let you down either. Rufty is sure to be a shining star for Samhain and their horror line.
Kammie
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DONE!!! Wasn't the best horror book but Okay. Glad I read it though because I would have been wondering how it ended. Some gruesome deaths were cool & really surprised alot of supporting characters died. It was something to read as I had to get away from the Y.A. books for awhile.
Bob
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this tale of angel boards and a guardian angel gone bad. Highly recommended.
Kyle Mclaughlin
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting story about a guardian angel who takes a little too hands-on approach with her charge.
John Quick
Nov 28, 2017
Greg Markwardt
Jun 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Kristopher Rufty is the writer and director of the movies Psycho Holocaust, Rags, and Wicked Wood, and also the author of Angel Board, PillowFace, and The Lurkers.

He used to host Diabolical Radio, an internet radio show devoted to horror fiction and film for five years and developed quite an archive list and following.

He is married to his high school sweetheart and is the father of two insane chil