Start by marking “Relics: Travels in Nature's Time Machine” as Want to Read:
Relics: Travels in Nature's Time Machine

Relics: Travels in Nature's Time Machine

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
On any night in early June, if you stand on the right beaches of America’s East Coast, you can travel back in time all the way to the Jurassic. For as you watch, thousands of horseshoe crabs will emerge from the foam and scuttle up the beach to their spawning grounds, as they’ve done, nearly unchanged, for more than 440 million years.

Horseshoe crabs are far from the only c
Published October 31st 2011 by University Of Chicago Press (first published September 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Relics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relics

Nihal Vrana
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book caught my eye in the bookstore. Just the quality of the image on the cover told me that it is worth reading. I have studied biology and although I specialized in biotechnology, I have always had a soft spot for evolution. The concept of this book, searching for evolutionary relics in different microenvironments around the world, is fascinating. Dr. Naskrecki is a wonderful photographer and a great scientist and it was a joy to read this book. As I said I have a biology training and sti ...more
Fr. Ted
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantastic photography. The narrative is very interesting mixed in with history, biology and Naskrecki's anecdotal experience. The complexity of life on earth and the variation leaves me marveling at how all of life unfolded. And with such thoughts as the "Butterfly effect" it is even more amazing so that so much diversity in life has appeared (and some disappeared) over the billions of years of the earth's existence. For me at least it all speaks of a Creator.
Chris
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Great photography. The text was informative. Sad to learn "living fossils" don't really exist. Horseshoe crabs have kept the same morphology for 400 million years, but have evolved to adapt to different environments.
François Dusoulier
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book! The best of its kind in naturalist field trip writing with absolutely gorgeous pictures.
Sandy D.
Gorgeous photographs, but the text didn't grab me and pull me in the way I'd hoped. Not all scientists can write like Stephen Jay Gould, unfortunately.
gabrielle
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
The editor seems to have skipped huge swathes of the text, but this book is worth it for the pictures alone.
Nate