Start by marking “Spellcaster (Spellcaster, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spellcaster (Spellcaster, #1)

Spellcaster

(Spellcaster #1)

When Nadia’s family moves to Captive’s Sound, she instantly realizes there’s more to it than meets the eye. Descended from witches, Nadia senses a dark and powerful magic at work in her new town. Mateo has lived in Captive’s Sound his entire life, trying to dodge the local legend that his family is cursed - and that curse will cause him to believe he’s seeing the future … ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by HarperTeen (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spellcaster, please sign up.
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,575 books — 11,047 voters
The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
901 books — 2,319 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Unlike many of my friends, I quite liked this author's Evernight series, which was filled with surprises and interesting relationships (and not just romantic ones). It's disappointing to find this novel, about a young witch named Nadia, to be so very predictable, lacking in excitement, and fairly cookie cutter in its PNR plot. DNF at 210 pages.

Worst of all, though--four third person (non-omniscient) POVs, with at least one bonus page from a bird's perspective. :-/ Bleh.

Still like this author,
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
So if I hadn't listened to this on audio I definitely would have DNF'd. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it wasn't very good. The writing style was very simple and over explained everything. It really overdid the inner monologues for each of the characters. The romance was flat and the plot was very predictable. Pretty sure I won't continue with the series.
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
A magical adventure that is complete with a villain and rich in diversity. Spellcaster by Claudia Gray is an amazing fantasy novel that will satisfy its readers, yet leave them hungry for more.

One of my favourite things about Spellcaster is the villain, Elizabeth. Normally, readers don’t read about villains described so well that they develop a strong hatred towards that character. Claudia Gray does just this in her gripping young adult fantasy. Gray does such a phenomenal job of creating such w
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
The cover of this book mesmerized me the minute I first saw it. That blue flame poised on the girl's hand, the way she's totally focusing on it....I immediately wanted to find out more!

The story started me off on the edge of my seat. Nadia Caldani, the protagonist, is a young woman traveling from Chicago with her father and little brother. They are headed to the fictional town of Captive's Sound, which, from the descriptions in the novel, appears to be located somewhere in the northeastern part
kari
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, 2013
This feels very unfinished. Yes, I know, there is more to the story because it is the first in a series, but there is almost not any ending and I don't like that. Each book in a series should be a complete and satisfying read, in my opinion and this is just not.
The characters are interesting, but perhaps it has two many viewpoints because the story feels choppy and disjointed, jumping from this view to that view.
And there seemed to be a very big plot hole. (view spoiler)
Colleen Houck
Sep 02, 2014 added it
Shelves: witches
Love the hero in this story and the whole idea of a steadfast. The villain was really nasty too which I enjoy a lot. Really like exploring the different powers a witch can have. So curious about the mom and why she left.
Alexa
Just straight up awful. 10/10 would NOT recommend.

Let me break this down for you:

THE PLOT:
The plot moved along only when characters had sudden "realizations." There were no real solving of the problems, no looking into various leads. As a result, the plot just fell extremely flat and felt like a bit of a joke.

THE CHARACTERS :
So, so, so, so awful. All of them were extremely flat and felt extremely forced. There was no real characterization of them, just feelings that they had. Mateo and Nadia h
Crystal
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was a very pleasant surprise. I have seen a few reviews go up that weren’t that encouraging but after about 100 pages in I was hooked. I won’t say that this was the greatest book ever written or that it tops Gray’s Evernight series, but Spellcaster did hold my attention and honestly a reader can’t ask for more than that..

Spellcaster was very different than what I was expecting. Nadia was definitely an interesting character and Gray’s take on magic is one that I haven’t seen before. I am use
Lisa-Books Smiles
3.5 stars.
Noel
find another version of this review on my blog post: http://thewordsthatbindus.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/spellcaster-by-claudia-gray/

**SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

My first book by this author... not too promising? This book is rated anywhere between 1.5 to 2.5 stars, depending on what exactly we're talking about.

The sad thing is, I was pretty disappointed by this book. Even sadder is that I'm not that surprised either. Maybe it's because it seemed like one of those typical YA storylines: girl mo
Jeanne
Jul 17, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Dead mom, special girl, and insta love. Now none of these this are necessarily bad, even when put together. But they kind of left me feeling meh about what seems to be a pretty color-by-numbers magical white girl story. Its just not holding my interest.
Andrea
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
Witches, Curses and the One Beneath
Spellcaster
Rating: 4/5

Summary: Nadia is a witch in training; however, her training has stopped since the divorce of her parents. She moves to the small town of Captive’s Sound with her father and brother who know nothing of her powers. When she arrives, she realizes the whole town is under magical influence and it seems evil. Mateo Cabot is plagued by a curse that leads to insanity. Though Mateo tries to avoid Nadia and save her from his dreams, the two are ine
-ˋˏc a i s e eˎˊ-
"You scare me, and I'm from Hell"
Spellcaster is a book about a young, inexperienced witch called, Nadia. After her mother ditches her, her brother and their father; Nadia and her family are distraught and move to Captives Sound to "start fresh." As they arrive at Captives Sound, a magical barrier reacts to Nadia's own Book of Shadows and causes their car to crash into a lake. Enter Mateo. The hunk with sad eyes who saves Nadia from drowning in the lake. Instant love and attraction. *eye roll.*
Ma
Haraiah Eve
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I couldn't make myself care for the characters or the story. Reading the book feels like I'm just going through the motions. It's superficial. And flat. The story, the writing, the characters aren't very remarkable. It doesn't have a great worldbuilding. Romance is meh. Cheesy. The witchcraft is meh.

FULL REVIEW http://haraiah.blogspot.com/2015/06/r...
Tabea Vanessa
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
So the writing was terrible. Every other paragraph the POV changes and you have no clue about when it changes to whom and have to figure it out from the context.
Also I felt disconnected from the characters the entire time.
But I also REALLY enjoyed the plot and want to know what happens next.
Cecilia
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
It was okay, but I don't think I will continue with the series.

Read my whole review at Book Obsession.
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 9/11/18: I avoided this book for a long time (apparently five years to be exact) because I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it as much as I hoped, and that turned out to be true. I went in with an open mind -- even more open than I meant to, by accident, because I didn't even realize this setting was present-day and thought it was supposed to take place in a fantasy world. Oops.

While there wasn't much that turned me off of SPELLCASTER, it still wasn't much of anything to really praise.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

I really enjoyed Spellcaster by Claudia Gray, narrated on audio by Khristine Hvam.

It's about a teen witch called Nadia who has had her supernatural training interrupted by her mother's sudden departure from her family, which leaves Nadia, her little brother Cole, and her Dad reeling, and moving to the quaint little Rhode Island town Captive Sound, where Nadia, in all her witchy wisdom, realises there is something supernaturally wrong.

This
Danielle
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Although 2 is a low star rating, Spellcaster perfectly fits the descriptor of 'It was okay'. Because in my opinion, that's what it was. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. There was nothing I'd gripe much over, but nothing I'd rave about either. It was just fine.

We do have a lot of tropes, stereotypical characters and awful dialogue. But we also have some awesome scene, and an addictive plot. And it totally got me hooked back on all things Witchy!

So while I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend
Farren
If anyone had told me that this would be the book I'd like the most out of everything I've read by Claudia Gray so far I would have never believed it.

Pros:
Great audiobook
I liked the idea of a steadfast
The characters were generally pretty likable
We get the villian's perspective after they are revealed

Cons:
"Special" MC with inexplicably strong power
It starts with 2 POV's and ends with like 5 or 6
Predictable ending
Not a memorable story by any means... I will have forgotten everything but what a s
Kait (Elysian Words)
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
An enjoyable read but could of been better
usagi ☆ミ
I tried with this one, you guys, I really did. I really enjoyed Gray's previous effort, "Fateful", and I have yet to read her debut series, but I was definitely hoping for more than what I got in this first book of her new trilogy, "Spellcaster". And while some of the technical areas weren't too bad at all, the rest desperately needed work. If you're looking for something new and fresh in the PNR area of things in YA, you might want to look elsewhere.

Did anyone else get a very, very STRONG feeli
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
I don’t think I will ever get tired of reading about witches and demons. I still watch CHARMED on TNT practically every day. I love it! SPELLCASTER is the first in a brand new series by Claudia Gray and it does not disappoint. It’s filled with plenty of magical moments, a light romance, friendships, and it’s also very suspenseful.

The story kicks off with Nadia moving to a new town with her family and being the newbie at school. I immediately thought of hundreds of YA books that start off this w
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Magic and mystery mingle in a small New England town in Claudia Gray’s SPELLCASTER, the first book in a planned trilogy that is sure to enthrall readers. One of the big attractions has to be the magic system which is incredibly cool and unlike any I’ve ever read before. Nadia doesn’t mix potions over a cauldron or recite Latin incantations, her spells require specific emotions. For example, the first spell she casts calls for:

Terror so great it paralyze
Nancy Kelley
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I picked this book up after hearing the author speak on the #pitchdarkdays tour. The system of magic sounded unique and intriguing, enough to get me to buy a book I hadn't heard of until that night. I started reading when I got home and only stopped because I was literally too tired to keep my eyes open any longer. Then I picked it up today and read straight through to the end.

So, what makes it a great book? First, the magic IS unique and intriguing. Instead of words, the spells are formed by me
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Nadia is moving to a new town with her father and brother after her mother left them. Once there she feels a dark presence beneath the school chemistry labs, but without her mother she never finished training as a witch, and doesn’t know quite what she’s capable of.
Meanwhile, Mateo – a boy in the town who is known to be part of a cursed family, has been seeing Nadia in his dreams and is worried that it means he is succumbing to the curse.
What lurks beneath the
Rachel
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, arc
I loved this book the first time I read it, I loved it even more the second time. It's such a wonderful story with three fantastic characters and one seriously evil character. Claudia Gray is a hugely talented writer and creates stories that are so addictive. And SPELLCASTER is so very easy to get caught up in.

In this second read of a finished copy, I picked up on so many more of the subtle hints, foreshadowing, that I missed when racing through the ARC the first time around. And it made it that
Jenny
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I may have liked this one better than Evernight (and I loved that series!) This was a great tale of the power of witches, good against evil. I loved that while there was a little teen romance, it was kept mostly in the background. The story was mainly about Nadia trying to figure out an age old evil in the small town she's just moved to, while also trying to find her place in the world as an "almost" witch.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. My biggest issue with this book was that the main character Nadia was forced to take on the strongest witch known to mankind. Yet she had little knowledge and experience with witchcraft. I just thought that was a bit much. Perhaps maybe in the next book she will learn more. However, I don't plan on reading any more of the series.
Erica
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorite, series
I have to say, I really enjoyed this book. I liked how the characters were developed and the unique way in which Nadia was able to cast spells. This book also, to me, did not have insta love but rather it built up slowly towards Nadia and Mateo falling in love. This was such a fast read for me, I can't wait to read the rest of the series. Would recommend.

• Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
  • The Gathering Dark
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • The Holders (Holders, #1)
  • Chantress (Chantress, #1)
  • Earthbound (Earthbound, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Furious
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Hidden (Avena, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Weather Witch (Weather Witch, #1)
  • Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)
  • Impostor (Slide, #2)
  • Soulbound (Lone Star Witch, #1)
  • School Spirits
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more

Spellcaster (3 books)
  • Steadfast (Spellcaster, #2)
  • Sorceress (Spellcaster, #3)
“Hurting someone you loved was even worse than being hurt. That stayed with you longer, and weighted you down all through the night into dawn.” 17 likes
“No men ever, you said." Verlaine leaned across the table, peering at him. "Mateo, are you maybe-well-transgender? Intersex? No prejudice here. Just support."
Mateo would have started thudding his face against the table in frustration if his pizza hadn't been in the way. "I'm a guy."
"We'll take your word for it.”
7 likes