Start by marking “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” as Want to Read:
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  107,256 Ratings  ·  12,494 Reviews
Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with
Published March 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

Emily May
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it

I know this is an awful thing to say, but I am so tired of all the "illness romance" books we've seen since The Fault in Our Stars. They're so hung up on leaving the reader with a beautiful message about life and/or death, so intent on making you cry and showing how a person can gain a new outlook or fall in love from being close to someone with a terminal illness.

In real life, very few people are luc
Jesse Andrews
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
this is probably the best debut novel i have ever written.
Kat O'Keeffe
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was HILARIOUS. I was cracking up laughing literally every other page or so. I loved the characters, I loved the unique formatting (there were lists and screenplay excerpts and the way the main character addressed the reader--it was very different, and very cool) and again, I LOVED the humor! I didn't feel like the plot/story arc was super strong, but honestly this book was so freaking funny and entertaining, I didn't really mind.

And I am so pumped for the movie! I can't wait to see how
Raeleen Lemay
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
re-read (again) in June 2015

Awesome sauce. Teared up when shit got real and Earl told Greg what's what (as always). This movie is going to slay me.

upon reading for the first time

Oh my goodness... What did I just read?

I finally have a gif to describe my feels...

Here it is, folks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3e_2...
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Overall a great read. Jesse Andrews needs to release more books!
My full review can be found here:
Emma
Umm… I don't know exactly what to say about this book. It seems to me like one of those cult books where if you love it, you love it, but if you don't, you don't. There were parts of it that were funny, but the majority of the parts that I felt were meant to be funny just fell flat. The cover is absolutely beautiful and there were some parts that I definitely enjoyed… but, it just didn't do it for me.

This book is about Greg and Earl and Rachel. Greg is a high school senior and he and Earl are a
Lola
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, high-school, cancer
It’s rare for me not to know what to say about a book. And I guess I do know what to say about this one, but my thoughts are very different from other people, so just keep in mind that we all perceive things, characters, scenes, etc. differently.

Greg is a liar.

A big, fat liar, he would correct me.

From the beginning, he is lying to us. He says that his meeting Rachel who suffers from leukemia didn’t change anything inside him. He says he didn’t learn anything from this experience he lived and tha
Whitney Atkinson
a lot of people are commenting on this so i just wanted to add really quick lol

i read this book like 2 years ago but i was going through my 'read' list and noticed i gave this four stars which was weird because this book was shit so that's that
Samantha
Nov 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
The humor was crude just for the sake of being crude and I didn't laugh once. The main character is unlikeable in an attempt to make the book realistic, but in reality it was just annoying. This book tried so hard to be edgy and real...

Oh and don't even get me started on the fact that the girl had no agency and her illness was still used as a motivator for the male main character... even though the book kept insisting that it "wasn't the usual cancer book". Spoiler alert: that's what every othe
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
For this review I need to post a gif of Jesse Andrews kicking John Green's ass.

But:
* I don't know how to make gifs myself. I just steal them from other spots on Google.
* I'm too lazy to even try and learn to make my own gifs.
* I don't especially hate John Green (take that you haters) I read TFIOS and it was an okay book. Not very realistic to someone who has survived lived with teenagers.

This book is about Greg Gaines. He just wants to make it through his last year of high-school. He knows not
Teresa Bunner
Jun 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I can appreciate snarky. And snarky certainly describes our narrator. The problem is, I can appreciate snarky when I like the character. I never grew to like Greg. And because I didn't like him or the story line, things like the excessive cussing in the book really bothered me. Had I liked or felt drawn to the characters, I could forgive that flaw. Heaven knows I can speak in language that would make my mother cringe and a sailor seem tame.

I was so excited to find a book with an African American
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
That was a weird little book.
Steph Sinclair
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who think they can't read or enjoy "cancer books"
Recommended to Steph by: Raeleen Lemay
This is the book I wish received more attention than The Fault in Our Stars. Unlike the aforementioned novel, it doesn't glamorize a terminal illness and try in any way to make light of the situation. In case that offends anyone, keep in mind that I did enjoy TFIOS, but I just think Me, Earl and the Dying Girl had a more powerful message.

This isn't going to be a book for everyone. The protagonist is an anti-hero who will anger the reader and make you wish he were a real person just so you could
Aleeeeeza
This is me during, hmm, let's see, 90% of this book:

I kid you not. This book made me laugh my ASS OFF. I have never in my whole life laughed this much while reading a book. Jesse Andrews, for this alone, YOU ARE AWESOME.

M&E&tDG is one of the weirdest books I've ever read. Nothing much really happens--in terms of both plot or character development--and despite that, driven alone by the MC, Greg's, humorous voice, the book ends up being an awesome read.

Just to lay out how hilarious Greg's
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

Even though at the end of each chapter (and there are 40 chapters, plus an author's note and an epilogue), the narrator keeps nagging at the reader about how stupid this book is and how the reader will not learn anything, I on the contrary have an endless list to negate such claim.

All of these things and more are what I learned from the book:

1. If the author through his main character keeps warning you to stop reading his "stupid book", by all means read it. Even if he tells you that you might
Christy
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5 stars

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl: YA book #3 for me in 2016. It was a really good pick! Thank you to my bestie for suggesting we do this one on audio together! So before I get into this review, lets chat for a minute. Anyone who knows me knows I collect signed books. I have hundreds. It’s a problem (not really… but) Anyways, I was in a different city in a bookstore with my husband and in-laws. I’m texting Beverly and she’s all “Chris- see if they have hardback copies of this book we’re
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This was funny and realistic and I kinda don't really know how to feel about it
Maureen
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty freaking great book. I really enjoyed it and laughed out loud at a lot of parts. It's not your typical YA - or typical cancer story for that matter - and that's what I loved about it. READ IT.
Tatiana
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
Shelves: 2012, ya
As seen on The Readventurer

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was my second "cancer book" in as many months. Although both Jesse Andrews and John Green had the same intention - to write a story about cancer that was different from those other tearjerky novels, in my eyes, Andrews was much more successful at stepping away from melodrama and cliches of the genre than Green. Of course, Andrews does not (yet) have a publicity platform of Green's magnitude to promote his novel, so I am glad to be able to
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 17/10/2016: I am so horrendously late to the party, but the movie is awesome. It keeps the humor and self-aware nature of the novel and adds just a pinch of poignancy to make it feel worthwhile. Because the book doesn't take itself seriously enough and I love that about it, but I also love how the producers tweaked it for a more mainstream audience. They're both brilliant on their own.

Side mini-rant: How on earth did it gross less than The Fault in Our Stars? It's an outrage.

(Original rev
Jo
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jo by: Tatiana
An exchange.

“I think I’m gonna go and read my book.”
“Oh? Which book is it?”
“Just this hilarious book about cancer.”

And you should’ve seen the glare I received.
Icyyyy.

You see that is the problem I fear I’m going to have with this book. I want to run around wildly and throw this book at people and yell “READ IT!” and they’ll be like “Woah, Jo, what’s it about?! Tell me everything!”
“IT’S AMAZING!!!!”
“Is it, is it really?”
“YES YES! WHY AREN’T YOU READING IT NOW?!”
“WHY ARE WE TALKING IN CAPITAL L
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a very strange book indeed. I’m sure some of you read the blurb and thought: Not another cancer book! Really, are books about teens with cancer the new black?! Yeah, I thought so too. It turns out that this book has very little to do with cancer. It has more to do with several other, completely unrelated things like filmmaking, high school social structure, odd friendships and nagging parents. It’s certainly not a sob story. The only tears I’d shed whil
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

EDIT: I NEVER change my rating, but this one deserves all 5 and I don't know what assholery I was up to when I first reviewed it and knocked it down half a star. Also, THIS (http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/...) was a thing a couple of weeks ago and Jesse Andrews already did it for realsies with Earl. Also #2, I used to write non-giffified reviews. How lame.

Greg has managed to make it to his senior year by being an acquaintance to
Theresa
"Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" is crude, lewd, silly, heartbreaking, sweet, cynical, honest, and too smart for its own good. Probably one of the funniest YA novels I've had the pleasure of reading. I also recommend watching the movie. Actually, the movie is pretty tame compared to the book (a lot less profanity and sexual directness). Thomas Mann who plays Greg Gaines in the film knocks it out of the park! Holy hell, he's talented. Jesse Andrews is weird little writer (I like weirdoes) who doe ...more
Sarah Churchill
Such an unusual approach to this kind of story; a guy's reluctant friendship with a girl who's suffering with Leukemia, and while it should be a coming of age with some heartwarming scenes I spent most of the novel thinking he's a gigantic dick. And that just made it feel more real and understandable. That might seem like a strange sentence until you read the book.
Katie
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and thought it was really funny at times, but overall, it was kind of disappointing. I guess it was just a lot of hype, but I think it'll make a pretty good movie, and I'm really excited to see it when it comes out :)
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry to say but this book was terrible... I don't normally give out one star but whenever i do there has got ro be something wrong... This was not a funny book in my opinion it was highly innapropriate.... Greg was selfish... Earl had a foul mouth and needed someone to wash it out with a good bar of soap! If i talked the way Earl did then my mama would of grounded me for life! Rachel was the only character who actually seemed okay. This is not the right message we should be sending out to o ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Edit 06/18 : The movie looks fantastic! Me want. Trailer

Impromptu reread because what's better than starting vacations laughing?

This is it. Second time I read it and my opinion didn't change. Yes this is immature at times but what did you expect? The teenagers here feel real. Don't wait for the big revelations, for the meaningful things these kids have to say, you'd be disappointed. Don't wait for The Great Romance, either. That's just LIFE and I adored it for its honesty.

“It's like when
C.G. Drews
I'm so unbelievably torn right now. GAH. On one hand: this book made me laugh like nothing else. I can't even count the amount of times I literally laughed out loud. YES. OUT LOUD, PEOPLES! That is a strange phenomenon for this Vulcan. But, on the other hand: I have no idea what the point of this book is, and I hate dirty humour. It doesn't do anything for me. And as the book progressed, the humour just got scungier and I ended up actually disliking the narrator, Greg, a fair bit.

I basically re
Nick
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
description
Not that funny as I excepted.Denifitely a great contempoary for these days.Highly recommend it.

Full review to come!
  • Moonbird: A Year on the Wind with the Great Survivor B95
  • Crash and Burn
  • Wonder Show
  • Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about The Grapes of Wrath
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets
  • Winger (Winger, #1)
  • Nothing Special (Stupid Fast, #2)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • Boy21

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“If after reading this book you come to my home and brutally murder me, I do not blame you.” 339 likes
“When you convert a good book to a film. stupid things happen” 226 likes