Start by marking “And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America” as Want to Read:
And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America

And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
These twenty-plus short stories by leading Central American writers, by turns unsettling, absurd, tragic, exhilarating, and mystical, introduce us to the people behind the front-page horrors . . . A Torruban Indian loses a month's pay with a bad roll of the dice . . . The beautiful young Anita hunts beetles and cockroaches . . . To up its popularity rating, a government st ...more
Published March 12th 1996 by Seven Stories Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about And We Sold the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And We Sold the Rain

Glenn Russell
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Twenty-four Central America short stories collected here by editor Rasario Santos, each story more marvelous than the next. From the introduction: "In Central America the story is performing its primordial function of mediating history, interpreting a brutal and brutalizing reality, and keeping hope and dignity alive as it has for centuries on this frail bridge between worlds." Here are my brief comments on six unforgettable tales:

AND WE SOLD THE RAIN by Carmen Naranjo (1928-2012, Costa Rica)
Ca
Crystal Herrera pereira
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So many different stories! All really paint the culture of Central American.
Aryeh
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Meh. I was a Latin American Lit minor in school and have read a number of these authors before. With an exception of two stories, the selections were too short to get a good feel and felt poorly translated. That said, this is definitely a period piece. While one can get great writing that remembers the Central American war of the 80s and the Disappeared, this was writing from the front lines, so to speak.
Felipe
May 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Less than half the stories are worth reading. The young writers are now better known, have the weakest stories from this 1988 book; the better stories happen to be by the older ones.

Unfortunately, this is probably the only English-language anthology of contemporary Central American writers available in the US.
John
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
Good stuff:

Confinement -Horacio Castellanos Moya

The Maestro Who Spent His Whole Life Composing a Piece for the Marimba - Mario Payeras

The Perfect Game - Sergio Ramirez

And We Sold the Rain - Carmen Naranjo

Mr. Taylor - Augusto Monterroso
Spencer
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Out of the twenty stories about 10 of them are quite good, 5 are ok, 5 are utterly incomprehensible.
Diane Ramirez
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid collection of short pieces from Central America -- humor, horror, satire, romance, and lots of heartbreak.
b bb bbbb bbbbbbbb
Collection of contemporary short stories from Central America. Some good, some obnoxiously experimental, some boring.
Graham
Dec 29, 2011
Wein Lynne
rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2014