Start by marking “Dear Mr. Darcy: A Retelling of Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Dear Mr. Darcy: A Retelling of Pride and Prejudice

Dear Mr. Darcy: A Retelling of Pride and Prejudice

In this imaginative retelling of Pride and Prejudice, Amanda Grange now tells the classic story through the eyes of its compelling romantic hero, Fitzwilliam Darcy—in a series of revealing letters that casts a sparkling new reflection on the manners and morals of the landed gentry in 19th-century England…

Here, for the first time, are the letters written by the exceedingly
Published August 7th 2012 by Berkley (first published August 1st 2012)

Sophie
What can I say? This book was brilliant. This was a very interesting take on the classic novel, playing on the idea of Pride and Prejudice being completely written in letters. It is believed that Jane Austen originally wrote Pride and Prejudice in epistolary form and so this is a very original and brilliant concept to develop.

I have to admit that I was dubious about reading an entire novel in letters... I wondered how the story would flow and could be told through letters and letters only. But
Auggy
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013, dnf, jane-austen
My dear Anne, I write this to you in the carriage on my way back to London from Netherfield Park.
When I got to that line in the book, I had to just stop and stare at it for a moment. I'm sorry, what? I mean, didn't they use pens that you had to, you know, dip in ink to write? So Georgiana (that's who is writing, by the way) has her writing desk all set up in the carriage with an open pot of ink. I'm sure her penmanship is lovely. As is her dress, face, hands, the inside of the carriage.... open
Holly
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
*3.5 stars

Decent account of Pride & Prejudice. I thought the "voices" stayed true to the characters, which, can sometimes be difficult to do. It was nice to get more of an "inner" working of what everyone was thinking or thought of one another. It was about a 400 page book, which, I think at times felt that way. Some letters I could have done without because after awhile some became tedious to read. I don't know if I would have liked to have sat down to read this for an afternoon. I'm glad I
Georgiana 1792
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Caro Darcy, ti scrivo

Amanda Grange è partita dal presupposto che First Impressions, ovvero la prima stesura del famosissimo Pride and Prejudice fosse stato scritto da Jane Austen in forma epistolare. Il discorso non fa una piega, se si pensa che la Austen cominciò a scriverlo nel 1796 e nel 1797 il reverendo Austen, padre della nostra Jane, scrisse una lettera a Tomas Caldell, un editore di Londra, pregandolo di pubblicare il romanzo della figlia.
Appena pochi anni prima, nei suoi Juvenilia, la
L A i N E Y
Mar 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book just did not ring true to me. The 'modern' language did not help either. I kept thinking I don't think Mr. Darcy would write these intimate details in letters to anyone. And I gave the book up when Elizabeth wrote to her friend who wasn't a canon character to tell her about Mr. Darcy's proposal and her refusal(!!).

I found the style of writing only letters for the whole book distracting since you kept bouncing from one POV to the next very quickly, sometimes in just 2 pages. It wasn't a
Leticia
Oct 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it because the correspondence was not written to reflect how people of that era would have written. It could not get passed that.
Anne
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriftbooks
This has been on my want to read list for a while, and finally, I was able to read it! Thankfully, it was not a disappointment. I loved the epistolary format, although ther are definitely disadvantages and i'm glad Jane Austen decided not to write the original in the same format. In this one, though, the author was true to the original stories and characters while adding a few extra characters.
Alice
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dès les premières pages de ce livre, qui réécrit Orgueil et Préjugés au travers de lettres que s'envoient les protagonistes, je me suis interrogée sur le style et les invraisemblances. Je me suis interrogée aussi sur le fait que, peut-être, je commençais à faire une overdose d'austeneries. Mais la suite de ma lecture m'a malheureusement conforté dans ma première impression et la découverte d'autres austeneries depuis que j'ai trouvé charmantes, a infirmé la thèse de l'overdose. Je dois donc dir ...more
Muphyn
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ardent Jane Austen fans
So silly and yet such an indulgent and delicious read when all you're breathing in is hot summer air at the beach... As far as an epistolary retelling of "Pride and Prejudice" goes, this is well done and well imagined. It almost gets four stars for allowing me the sheer mindless pleasure of escaping into a world that surely wasn't as romantic as we'd like to imagine it.

To my dismay though, Ms Grange doesn't manage her characters' writing styles consistently, and she had me roll my eyes at a few
Marilee
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I was nervous to read this because I love Pride and Prejudice so much. I'm always nervous when someone plays around with characters that I love. The author was very respectful with the characters and the storyline. The book is a series of letters written back and forth between the characters. I thought the letters were true to their personalities, but I also felt that they shared much more of their deeply personal feelings in those letters than they really would. One other thing - A few times th ...more
Emily
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
About once a year I get the Pride and Prejudice itch and I go in search of a good retelling (along with a reread of the original of course :D). I really liked how Amanda Grange approached this, telling it in epistolary form (all in letters) just like Jane Austen originally intended to write it. So, on the one hand I liked the wide variety of POVs in the story (surprisingly Mary's in particular!), but on the other, does anyone really want to read an entire letter written by Mr. Collins? Or Lady C ...more
Ilyanna kreske
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Don't see the point of yet another retelling, and the epistolary style leaves me disoriented. I'd rather read the original.
Teresita
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The whole story through letters!

A very original and interesting concept. I really enjoyed this version of my favorite book that gives a glimpse into the thoughts and feelings of the characters.
Christy C.
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book. Love the "back stories" within P&P. But the letter form wasn't my favorite style of writing. But for a Jane Austen retelling I'll do it ;)
Léa
Une lecture plaisante mais qui recèle quelques bizarreries...
Eva
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 3.5
Anna
Jan 01, 2013 added it
Shelves: austenesque
When Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice was published in 1813, it was a version much revised from the original written in 1796-97. Like Sense and Sensibility, the first draft could very well have been an epistolary novel. In Dear Mr. Darcy, Amanda Grange imagines how Pride and Prejudice might have been told through letters between the various characters.

Grange introduces Fitzwilliam Darcy in a letter from his dying father, who instructs him in his responsibilities as the new master of Pemberley,
BCMUnlimited
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
See official review: http://www.bookscompletemeunlimited.c...

I typically avoid any retelling of Pride and Prejudice like the plague, because I'm terrified that my favorite novel is going to be destroyed by an author that just isn't Jane Austen. However, I chose to pick this one up because it grabbed my attention in the bookstore and I'm incredibly glad I did so.

Amanda Grange is not Jane Austen, but her interpretation of what letters could have been written to and from the Bennet family, Mr. Dar
Jennifer Conrad
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: austen-rewrites
Unlike Amanda Grange's previous books, this is a series of letters (rather than her usual diary format). I can't say I was too impressed. Many of the letters felt stilted and forced. She introduced a new character, Philip Darcy, and there didn't seem much of a point to having him as a character. She also never really explained how he fit in, and there isn't really talk of Darcy relations in the original P&P.

Here are the other problems in the book:
A Mr. Shackleton, who starts off an innocen
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
In a style similar to Jane Austen's Lady Susan and the first draft of Sense and Sensibility (Elinor and Marianne), bestselling Austenseque author, Amanda Grange's newest novel, Dear Mr. Darcy, retells Pride and Prejudice in epistolary form. Want to see what Darcy wrote to his cousins while living at Netherfield? Observe the Bennet sisters' correspondence with their friends, the Sotherton sisters? Witness the letters sent to and from Mr. and Mrs. Bingley and their children? Amanda Grange enables ...more
Cherie
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved it! If I had never read the original, I "might" have to say that this one is better. I enjoyed every letter and it was a totally different story line telling it with all the background 1st and then getting to where Mr. Darsy meats Elizabeth Bennet and proceeds from there. The characters are all the same, only a little more understandable. Mr. Bennet is just as humorous, and Mrs. Bennet still a drama queen.

It would be impossible to write such a story today. How would it go with T
Carol R.
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Jane Austen and continue to buy and read most adaptations, modern or historical, with the exceptions of zombies and vampires. I've read Grange's books before and this one did not disappoint. As always she has a fresh way of telling a familiar story, this time in letter format. It was fun to see her fill in some of the "gaps" that we're not privy to in Austen's book and to imagine being a friend of Lizzy or Darcy or Georgian or Lydia or Mary or Mr. Collins and receiving the letters. I foun ...more
Tamera Westhoff
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked how this was done with letters and I felt like I really got to know the characters better! I could have skipped all of Lydia and Kitty's letters though, since I don't really like their characters. Seeing that side of Darcy and Bingley was very interesting. I never thought of Bingley as coming from trade.
Fée Bourbonnaise
Il manque quand même la lettre de Darcy à Elizabeth... :-(
Becky
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Amanda Grange knows how to retell Jane Austen's stories almost to the point where you believe Jane Austen is writing it herself...although quite impossible I know :) !
Samantha
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved how this book is P&P retold through letters. The new characters are a fun addition, and it was nice to hear about historical events happening at that time.
Grace
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
a fun retelling of Pride and Prejudice....enjoyed it.
Chloe
Jane Austen est une autrice qui a laissé une trace indélébile au cœur de la littérature, au point que de nombreuses œuvres actuelles s'inspirent de ses écrits ou les parodient. Cher Mr Darcy fait donc partie de ce que l'on peut appeler la littérature "para-austenienne" ou "austenerie", puisqu'il s'agit d'une réécriture du célèbre roman Orgueil et Préjugés sous forme de récit épistolaire.

Rappelons brièvement l'histoire. Mrs et Mr Bennet sont les parents de cinq filles, ce qui s'avère problémati
Melody
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was extremely well timed for me. I'd had the most stressful week of my year (I moved house). I was grouchy, exhausted and typically annoyed that I couldn't find anything around our new place. There's a public library just 2 mins from my place and for reprieve I visited it in order to find an easy, enjoyable novel so I could just mentally relax. I found this book by accident (I was actually looking for the first book in the Poldark series).

I'm a huge Austen fan and I've read her books
Katie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I had pretty mixed feelings about this by the time I finished. Reading the author's note at the beginning, I thought it was an interesting idea to try to write a version of Pride and Prejudice in an epistolary form, since there's a good chance that the first draft was originally written that way. However, there were parts of it that really, really worked, and there were parts that really, really didn't.

The Good: I think the parts where this book is strongest is where she uses the letters to exp
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 21, 2015 09:37AM

• Mr. Darcy's Proposal
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men (Jane Austen's Fighting Men, #1)
  • Mr. Darcy's Letter: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Darcy and Anne
  • Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • A Wife for Mr. Darcy
  • The Unexpected Miss Bennet
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Pemberley Manor
  • Caroline Bingley
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
Amanda Grange was born in Yorkshire and spent her teenage years reading Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer whilst also finding time to study music at Nottingham University. She has had twenty-five novels published including six Jane Austen retellings, which look at events from the heroes' points of view. She has also had two books published under different names: Murder at Whitegates Manor (as Eleano ...more