Start by marking “Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity” as Want to Read:
Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity

Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity

When in their lives do great artists produce their greatest art? Do they strive for creative perfection throughout decades of painstaking and frustrating experimentation, or do they achieve it confidently and decisively, through meticulous planning that yields masterpieces early in their lives?

By examining the careers not only of great painters but also of important sculpt
Published June 27th 2011 by Princeton University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Old Masters and Young Geniuses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Masters and Young Geniuses

David
Dec 26, 2009 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Nearly all the general conclusions and implications were presented better, I think, in Malcolm Gladwell's article. This book primarily offered the supporting evidence and analysis. It is therefore important but not a very good read for any person who is not a fan of art scholarship.

I do have one problem with the basic argument, however. The book presents much evidence to support the thesis--which I was more or less okay with--but it does not at all try to disprove its thesis, leaving me undecide
Sydney
I couldn't' resist picking this book up while visiting a college bookstore, even though I feared it would be dry. I found myself absolutely absorbed by his unique approach to the creative life--coming up with new concepts early in one's working life vs. honing and honing craft over time. I'm a big art geek so I loved reading with a big fat art book on my lap so I could look at the paintings mentioned in the book.

My only reservation--few women mentioned in the book. And we don't fit well. The rh
Simone
Oct 11, 2008 Simone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
a fascinating book. because i'm a geek, i really loved the methods section, but i'm probably alone in this.

i heard galenson on npr back in october and was immediately interested in reading this and only now got around to doing so.

it's a dense read, and in proving his point he spends a lot of time hashing through the evidence.

although not intended to make me feel better about my own intellectual pursuits, it does. if you're work is not immediately heralded for critical acclaim, just start thin
David de Beer
May 28, 2009 David de Beer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Using mainly artists, Galenson patiently documents evidence for his theory of two distinctive personality types among creative personality types.
One of the more intriguing theories on creativity I've encountered. If the hypothesis hold, and I think it might, it could have very exciting implications to our fundamental thinking on the creative process.
Mark
Aug 07, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for what i hoped to get out of this book, i think it was an excellent read. the premise of two different types of creative personalities is introduced right up front and repeatedly substantiated throughout. at times the discourse seems a little overly scholarly, but many of the examples bring wonderful anecdotal evidence to the theory.
Gary Geiger
Dec 31, 2013 Gary Geiger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-culture
This is where Malcolm Gladwell is at his best; turning me on to other writer's books. This is what I call an idea book. Are you a conceptualist or are you and experimentalist? I think that I am an experimentalist and a middle-aged journeyman on his way to becoming an Old Master.
Tim
Apr 20, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, valid, and useful.
Julian
Excellent, thought-provoking little book that should provoke much introspection in any creative person.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2008
Ryan Wang
Ryan Wang rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
John Poland
John Poland rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Jenny Roth
Jenny Roth rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Yen
Yen rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
David Dickinson
David Dickinson rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2009
Franz Iacono
Franz Iacono rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Jackeo313
Jackeo313 rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Kashaun Morris
Kashaun Morris rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
nina robbins
nina robbins rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Karin Cope
Karin Cope rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2007
Mauricio Santoro
Mauricio Santoro rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Ethan Sherman
Ethan Sherman rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Simon Hudson
Simon Hudson rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Virginie
Virginie rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Co-Opetition
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists  Creatives of all Kinds
  • Explaining Creativity: The Science of Human Innovation
  • George Lucas's Blockbusting: A Decade-by-Decade Survey of Timeless Movies Including Untold Secrets of Their Financial and Cultural Success
  • The Art of Thought
  • Drawing Ideas: A Hand-Drawn Approach for Better Design
  • Wild Color, Revised and Updated Edition: The Complete Guide to Making and Using Natural Dyes
  • The Icon Handbook
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • The Emperor's New Drugs: Exploding the Antidepressant Myth