Start by marking “Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story” as Want to Read:
Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story

Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story

When Pippin, a fawn abandoned by her mother, cries out for help, she is found by author Isobel Springett. After carrying the tiny fawn back to her home, Isobel places Pippin next to Kate, a Great Dane who has never had puppies of her own.

What follows is a remarkable and unlikely friendship. Kate successfully raises Pippin to be an independent deer, and Pippin always return
Published February 28th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kate & Pippin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate & Pippin

Start your review of Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
Mischenko
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story about a great dane and a fawn. Tons of pictures that kids love! Fantastic 5*****
Manybooks
Now I do well realise that Martin and Isobel Springett's (who are husband and wife, author and photographer) Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story is on the surface simply an adorable little tale about the true events of how the Springetts' Great Dane Kate basically adopted a seemingly abandoned newborn fawn (Pippin) and how the two then became inseparable. And while Isobel Springett's accompanying photographs are in my opinion really the star of the show, of the book, her husband Martin Springe ...more
Lee
Absolutely adorable photos. Love it~!
Lupine
Oh for heaven sakes this book takes the cake for adorable! A great dane befriends a fawn? Seriously? Page after page of, "Awww! Sweet!" as I looked at the photographs(and think of the kismet that this fawn was discovered by a photographer with a very kind dog so this story was able to be told!) For those fans of other unlikely animal friendships such as Little Pink Pup and Owen and Mzee.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool-grade 2
The gently told true story of an orphaned fawn and her adoptive Great Dane mother will enchant readers and listeners alike with it's charming story and intimate, colorful photographs.

Reviewed by: Lisa Marie Smith, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Canadian Reader

A lovely story about the friendship between a Great Dane and a fawn. The photographs are outstanding. My students--young and old--love this book.
Aneesa
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Three-year-old loves: Cute baby animals, real photographs, asking questions about where the fawn's mom is. We have been playing Kate, Pippin, and Isobel all week. I woke up this morning to Everly calling me to get her out of her crib: "Isobel!"
Teri
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
fun--my kids love these real world animal friendship books!
Robyn
As with the last few of these true story, animals befriending other animals stories...LOVED IT! Will continue to seek out more of the same stories because they are so freaking awesome!! They remind me of the time I saw a young cat in my yard hiding on and then jumping out and "attacking" a bunch of wild turkeys, over and over again...oh how I wish I would have caught that on tape!
Kendra
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
It's been done a million times, but I love these kinds of unlikely friendship stories.
Beverly
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-dogs
Too cute for words! Should be featured on cuteoverload.com.
Danielle Calhoun
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most adorable children's books. The story of a great dane, Kate, who mothers a fawn abandoned by her mother. The photos are precious. My girls loved this story.
Alyson
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
You can't go wrong with a true story about a Great Dane mothering an orphan fawn - especially when the Great Dane is owned by a photographer. You will uh and aw on every page.
Tiffany Shafapay
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fun loving true story will have readers in awe of the adorable yet unlikely friendship. Young kids and animal lovers will be delighted to hear the story of 2 very different animals coming together to support one another. This dog and doe have a remarkable bond and it's very impactful for young children to see a bond between such different breeds form, so they also know that they can form friendships in the most unlikely of places. Kids will of course be attracted to the real life photograph ...more
Jaci Smith
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written story about animal adoption. Photography is beautiful in the illustrations. Kate is a Great Dane who adopts a baby fawn, Pippin, who has lost it's mother. This story shows how animals will raise each other, accept each other even if they aren't the same. Pippin is a deer not a dog but Kate doesn't care she raises her as her own baby. Kate is a dog not a deer but Pippin doesn't care she thinks of her as her mother. Great book for ages 4-12 text set: Non-traditional families, a ...more
Lara
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, picture-book
Another adorable unlikely animal pair story. Super sweet - and a true story!! The pictures are just priceless. This would be a great title for a storytime on deer, dogs, farm or forest animals, or family. Or as a gift for an adult who needs a pick-me-up from a really crummy day (like I said, warm fuzzies all over!). Maybe make it a sampler set with Little Pink Pup? ...more
Vicki
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jpb
I enjoyed using this in my Fall 2018 visit because its a nice example of a wild animal forming a bond with a domesticated animal and is a nice example of how a brother worked with his sister to create a book. Gail Frost brought it in to their first grade class and I somehow missed seeing that. I think the kids enjoyed seeing it again.
Dawn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This kind of story always captures our hearts. We read this one because we are reading Bridge to Terabithia and Jess and Leslie are an unlikely friendship. I brought a bunch of Unlikely Friendships books to the classroom and after we read this story, they were snapped up!
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Storytime 10/4/17
Theme: Friends
Michelle Halber
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highly-recommend
Excellent book for older preschool and early elementary with color photographs.
Juliah Maryvonne
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always love reading these adorable stories about animals finding unlikely friends. They brighten my day. This book will make you say,"Awwww," the whole way through.
Molly
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute. Cute, cute, cute! This is the story of a fawn that was raised by a dog, went back to the forest, but keeps returning to play with her momma dog.
Jayda Safford
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love when deer are around my house.
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: read-with-kids
I actually really liked this and I don't like animal stories.
Darlene
Book 23 Bibliographic Citation:
Springett, M. (2012). Kate & Pippin: An unlikely love story. New York, NY: Henry Holt.

Age/Grade Level: (Ages 3–8, Preschool, Grades K–3)

Summary:
A motherless fawn is adopted by a most unusual parent, a Great Dane named Kate. Their relationship is documented over Pippin’s growth from a fawn to an adult deer.

Awards/Reviewing Sources:
2014 Colorado Children’s Book Award Nominee
Booklist (September 1, 2012 (Vol. 109, No. 1))
Horn Book (Fall 2012)
Kirkus Reviews (January 1
Tasha
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Pippin, a fawn, is abandoned by her mother, photographer Isobel Springett found her crying for help. She took Pippin home and placed her by Kate their old Great Dane. The two immediately bonded: Pippin thought she had found a new mother and Kate started to mother her even though she had never raised any puppies of her own. Pippin learned to drink from a bottle and when she got bigger started to adventure outside. One evening, Pippin disappeared into the forest and didn’t return for bedtime. ...more
Karen Burt
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an endearing story of friendship and bonding between two animals. Pippen, an abandoned fawn was taken in by the author, Springett who is the owner of a Great Dane, Kate. The two animals bonded instantly and Kate cared and nurtured the fawn, with the help of its master, until it was grown. Martin Springett lives in the country on the edge of a forest. As the fawn grew it spent the nights in the forest and came back to the house during the day to play with his Great Dane friend. Springette ...more
Peacegal
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Filled with vivid photos, KATE & PIPPIN is the sweet true story of a senior Great Dane who became an adoptive mother to an orphaned fawn.

Readers young and old will be charmed by this adorable pair, and hopefully as they see the gangly-legged deer running and playing with the gangly-legged dog, they will stop and think about the individuality of animals who may be unfamiliar to us. We treasure our dogs, but too often see deer as nothing but targets, trophies, or pests.

For increased education an
☺Trish
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story is an absolutely beautiful and heartwarming tale of the amazing bond that develops between a gentle giant, a Great Dane named Kate, and a tiny motherless fawn, Pippin. Kate's owner, Isobel Springett, named the fawn Pippin and fed her baby bottles full of sheep's milk. Isobel (an equestrian and professional photographer) took the photographs that document Kate and Pippin's story. Martin Springett, Isobel's brother and a published author, illustrator, and musi ...more
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pippin, a fawn abandoned by her mother in a forest, is adopted by a family. Kate, a Great Dane, becomes a mother and friend to the fawn. Though Pippin grows up to return to the forest, she continues to visit the dog and family.

A sweet story for animal and nature lovers. Best for students in Kindergarten and first grade, though older students may enjoy browsing through the pictures. I wish that the authors had included a brief note about deer or their experience adopting an animal. Otherwise, a s
« previous 1 3 next »

• My Teacher Is a Robot
  • Sulwe
  • Guess What
  • Unicorn Day
Martin Springett was born in Crayford, Kent, England, in 1947. He studied art (that is he learned to play the Guitar) for two semesters at the Brassey School of Art in Hastings, Sussex. He emigrated to the West Coast of Canada in 1965, but returned to the UK in 1973 to pursue music in various bands. He spent time in Germany, and toured through Europe.

While in London Martin started to illustrate an