Start by marking “Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story” as Want to Read:
Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story

Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
When Pippin, a fawn abandoned by her mother, cries out for help, she is found by author Isobel Springett. After carrying the tiny fawn back to her home, Isobel places Pippin next to Kate, a Great Dane who has never had puppies of her own.

What follows is a remarkable and unlikely friendship. Kate successfully raises Pippin to be an independent deer, and Pippin always return
Published February 28th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kate & Pippin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate & Pippin

Mischenko
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story about a great dane and a fawn. Tons of pictures that kids love! Fantastic 5*****
Manybooks
I know that Martin and Isobel Springett's (who are husband and wife, author and photographer) Kate & Pippin is on the surface simply an adorable little tale about the true story of how the Springetts' Great Dane Kate basically adopted a seemingly abandoned new born fawn (Pippin) and how the two became inseparable. While the accompanying photographs are really the star of the show, of the book, Martin Springett's text is also sweet (a bit overly simple perhaps, but inherently lovely and optim ...more
Lee
Absolutely adorable photos. Love it~!
Lupine
Oh for heaven sakes this book takes the cake for adorable! A great dane befriends a fawn? Seriously? Page after page of, "Awww! Sweet!" as I looked at the photographs(and think of the kismet that this fawn was discovered by a photographer with a very kind dog so this story was able to be told!) For those fans of other unlikely animal friendships such as Little Pink Pup and Owen and Mzee.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool-grade 2
The gently told true story of an orphaned fawn and her adoptive Great Dane mother will enchant readers and listeners alike with it's charming story and intimate, colorful photographs.

Reviewed by: Lisa Marie Smith, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Christine
I'm a sucker for inter-species friendship stories, and this book is one of the best. I love that the author emphasizes that the deer isn't a pet, but a wild animal. Definitely a heartwarming story!
Teri
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
fun--my kids love these real world animal friendship books!
Robyn
As with the last few of these true story, animals befriending other animals stories...LOVED IT! Will continue to seek out more of the same stories because they are so freaking awesome!! They remind me of the time I saw a young cat in my yard hiding on and then jumping out and "attacking" a bunch of wild turkeys, over and over again...oh how I wish I would have caught that on tape!
Alyson
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
You can't go wrong with a true story about a Great Dane mothering an orphan fawn - especially when the Great Dane is owned by a photographer. You will uh and aw on every page.
Beverly
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, dogs
Too cute for words! Should be featured on cuteoverload.com.
Danielle Calhoun
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most adorable children's books. The story of a great dane, Kate, who mothers a fawn abandoned by her mother. The photos are precious. My girls loved this story.
Canadian Reader

A lovely story about the friendship between a Great Dane and a fawn. The photographs are outstanding. My students--young and old--love this book.
Kendra
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
It's been done a million times, but I love these kinds of unlikely friendship stories.
Tracy Fry
I read this book to a kindergarten class during a school visit and they absolutely loved it.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Storytime 10/4/17
Theme: Friends
Darlene
Book 23 Bibliographic Citation:
Springett, M. (2012). Kate & Pippin: An unlikely love story. New York, NY: Henry Holt.

Age/Grade Level: (Ages 3–8, Preschool, Grades K–3)

Summary:
A motherless fawn is adopted by a most unusual parent, a Great Dane named Kate. Their relationship is documented over Pippin’s growth from a fawn to an adult deer.

Awards/Reviewing Sources:
2014 Colorado Children’s Book Award Nominee
Booklist (September 1, 2012 (Vol. 109, No. 1))
Horn Book (Fall 2012)
Kirkus Reviews (Janua
Tasha
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Pippin, a fawn, is abandoned by her mother, photographer Isobel Springett found her crying for help. She took Pippin home and placed her by Kate their old Great Dane. The two immediately bonded: Pippin thought she had found a new mother and Kate started to mother her even though she had never raised any puppies of her own. Pippin learned to drink from a bottle and when she got bigger started to adventure outside. One evening, Pippin disappeared into the forest and didn’t return for bedtime. ...more
Peacegal
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Filled with vivid photos, KATE & PIPPIN is the sweet true story of a senior Great Dane who became an adoptive mother to an orphaned fawn.

Readers young and old will be charmed by this adorable pair, and hopefully as they see the gangly-legged deer running and playing with the gangly-legged dog, they will stop and think about the individuality of animals who may be unfamiliar to us. We treasure our dogs, but too often see deer as nothing but targets, trophies, or pests.

For increased educatio
Karen Burt
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an endearing story of friendship and bonding between two animals. Pippen, an abandoned fawn was taken in by the author, Springett who is the owner of a Great Dane, Kate. The two animals bonded instantly and Kate cared and nurtured the fawn, with the help of its master, until it was grown. Martin Springett lives in the country on the edge of a forest. As the fawn grew it spent the nights in the forest and came back to the house during the day to play with his Great Dane friend. Springette ...more
☺Trish
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story is an absolutely beautiful and heartwarming tale of the amazing bond that develops between a gentle giant, a Great Dane named Kate, and a tiny motherless fawn, Pippin. Kate's owner, Isobel Springett, named the fawn Pippin and fed her baby bottles full of sheep's milk. Isobel (an equestrian and professional photographer) took the photographs that document Kate and Pippin's story. Martin Springett, Isobel's brother and a published author, illustrator, and ...more
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pippin, a fawn abandoned by her mother in a forest, is adopted by a family. Kate, a Great Dane, becomes a mother and friend to the fawn. Though Pippin grows up to return to the forest, she continues to visit the dog and family.

A sweet story for animal and nature lovers. Best for students in Kindergarten and first grade, though older students may enjoy browsing through the pictures. I wish that the authors had included a brief note about deer or their experience adopting an animal. Otherwise, a s
Kelly
This is another sweetly photographed story of an unlikely animal friendship. I would add this to a text set based on that theme. This story of a dog and his adopted fawn growing up together is told in stunning photos. I wish their had been a little more background information on deer, but it is still a nice read. Would be interesting to compare and contrast with Owen & Mzee.

I read this as part of a text set of unlikely animal friendships. There are actually quite a few of these books. The O
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The true story of friendship and family between an abandoned fawn, Pippin, and her adoptive mom, Kate the Great Dane.

Kate & Pippin is a loving tale about animals who care for each other. The human element is very subtle in the story. The photographs bright and big. This is a great tale for early elementary students.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Jen
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, nonfiction
This is a book with a serious awwww factor. My son (mostly) read it to my younger daughter and myself, and there was enough in it to satisfy all of us. My son loves animals and nonfiction and especially photographs. My daughter loves the sweetness. Okay, I love the sweetness too. I think it got my kids thinking about what makes a family too, so that + nature makes it a great nonfiction choice.
Amber
I really like true life stories, especially ones about animals, but I had never heard this one before. One thing I liked most about this book was that it used the actual photographs of the deer and dog, which really made it even more real, and I think kids would enjoy that aspect of it as well. Overall, a very touching story that I think anyone would enjoy.
Katie Nanney
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The photographs were absolutely beautiful and the story of this unlikely friendship made me tear up a little. I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures. I would love to keep this book in my classroom for my students to enjoy looking at the pictures and the beautiful story of friendship.
Christiane
In the great tradition of unlikely animal friendships (see "Owen and Mzee", "Little Pink Pup", and "Friends" by Catherine Thimmesh) in this story an abandoned fawn is adopted by a Great Dane. The book is short enough to read at a preschool or older story time, and filled with adorable photographs of the fawn and the dog snuggling, exploring, and playing.
Cemeread
Apr 04, 2014 added it
Shelves: children
Animal lovers will delight in this story of a dog who helps raise a fawn. Illustrated with photos of the two animal friends children are sure to love it. I like that the fawn returns to the wild, yet remembers her friend.
Elines Flores
The photographs saved this book. They were amazing and really showed the realness of the friendship. Personally, I did not find the text as moving as others would. I was too engaged by the photos to really read the text fully.
Karen Arendt
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, friendship
Simple text with gorgeous photographs documents the friendship of a Great Dane named Kate and a baby deer rescued in the forest. There is not much detail about the story but the photos clearly show the time span as Pippin grows up.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and his Service Dog
  • A Dog Wearing Shoes
  • Homer
  • My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius
Martin Springett was born in Crayford, Kent, England, in 1947. He studied art (that is he learned to play the Guitar) for two semesters at the Brassey School of Art in Hastings, Sussex. He emigrated to the West Coast of Canada in 1965, but returned to the UK in 1973 to pursue music in various bands. He spent time in Germany, and toured through Europe.

While in London Martin started to illustrate an

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99