Start by marking “The Devil Stood Up” as Want to Read:
The Devil Stood Up

The Devil Stood Up

Could the Devil, Himself be our ultimate hero?
This is the brutally told story of how the Devil, after countless millennia of strictly doing God's will of punishing sinners in Hell, decides to lay down a Judgment of his own.

Compelled by the horrific case of a young mother who murdered her child and the lawyer who gets her set free, the Devil comes to Earth seeking
Published (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Stood Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Stood Up

Start your review of The Devil Stood Up
Michael Brookes
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - there I said it. It's the story of the Devil, condemned to punish sinners until God decrees otherwise. In this story Satan is more akin to Dante's than Milton's, although still with a will of his own. As part of his duty he experiences the Litany, the lives of all humans and one crime in particular horrifies him.

That same crime horrified me as I read it. I'm a denizen of the internet, including its darker side and I'm not easily horrified, but the simple and effective prose
Barbara Mason
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Could the Devil, Himself be our ultimate hero?
This is the brutally told story of how the Devil, after countless millennia of strictly doing God’s will of punishing sinners in Hell, decides to lay down a Judgment of his own.

This was a great read from beginning to end. There is not a whole lot of dialogue, but that did not detract from the story at all. It is a different take on Satan, so if your religious, you may not like it.

The Devil wakes in anger at the murder of a 2 year old boy. Why this
Ceila Dávila
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Keep an open mind when you read this book. It is not based on the scriptures, bible, etc. It portrays the Devil as Lucifer the fallen angel and a servant of God whose sole purpose is to punish those in hell. I had a difficult time reading the first two chapters which describes the murder of a child which catches the devil's attention. This is definitely a different kind of story which will haunt you for days.

William Breen
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
An innovative story in which the devil is almost a hero. There were times that I thought people as vile as Carrie and Thomas couldn't exist but the doubts were brief as the author continued and I realized that unfortunately people like that probably do exist. They were such twisted characters that they disturbed the devil himself who decides to take matters into his own hands. The story actually elicits sympathy for the devil.
Siew Ee
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lucifer is always rightly portrayed in books as the Big Bad Guy from Hell, but “The Devil Stood Up” showed a softer, more humane side to him, and that’s great, because even after the Fall from heaven, there must be something good left in this Fallen Angel. And that something was beautifully revealed in this book. I would like to think that what happened was a test to him from his God. First time I feel sympathy for the Devil…. An excellently written book!
Bernadette
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I liked it! Since it took me 2 days. Very cool the way the Devil is portrayed. This was a free selection on Book Bub, glad I picked it up.
Michele
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is a must read. this book was amazing
Scott Coleman
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Boy, I wish there were a three-and-a-half star rating. I liked the book, but I wanted to love it. So, I'm giving it a three.

The concept is fascinating, and the story was told effectively. The author crafts, and then gets inside the head of, two of the most despicable human beings to ever be created in horror fiction. The author takes the character of the Devil and places him into an earth-bound adventure, even endowing him with a sense of humanity. She lays out a brutal crime, step by step,
LadyCalico
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a really "wow" book, but I must start with two caveats: 1. the villains are despicable and the murders gruesome (but not any more so than those you read about in your local newspaper on a regular basis.) 2. This fantasy is not theologically correct, so if you are looking for the characters to conform to scripture, you will be disappointed. The evil that catches Satan's notice bears a strong resemblance to the Casey Anthony murder trial. But what really galls him is the ...more
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not what I was expecting!

I feel madly in love with the story this book offers it's reader. I was a little unsure at first, what kind of story could possibly involve the Devil, and be worth reading? I thought to myself. Well, I decided to take a chance and see where the story lead me. I finished a little under four hours. I read the entire story in one sitting! I just had to know what was going to happen. I'm very glad I did. I won't say the story is for everyone, because it isn't. I do not
A Girl Among Books
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally one to read these types of books, nor am I, a very religious person...but this book had me from the beginning. It really makes you think; "What if?"....What if a person that is so EVIL and hateful, made the Devil..SATAN, himself..feel the need to come from the fiery pits of Hell, to lay judgement personally? What are the consequences for innocent bystanders? And what if while amongst us, he falls in Love? This book made me actually feel sad for Lucifer, Satan, the ...more
Lori
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Free download on bookbub. This was a very interesting read. The devil/satan/lucifer (called by all 3 names in the book) is living out his punishment from God with no questions asked, giving out punishment to all the sinners that come his way until God decides he's done. One particular sinner makes him take notice and it affects him more than any other. He then decides he must go up and stop this person from doing more harm in the world and deal out his own punishment. He meets a woman along the ...more
Crystal
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
When i first saw this book i was Leary of reading it,not sure how i felt about the spin this book puts on the Devil. This book was actually a great read. I must warn you though you have to get past the murder that wakes the Devil up and brings him to earth it took me a few to get past it.. Keep an open mind with this book. It is not a religious book though the Devil and God and a slew of demons and angels are mentioned.
Jag Garcia
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
The premise of this book was fairly interesting and overall it was a fairly good and light read.

I enjoyed the characterization of the Devil and the insinuations made on the structure and rationale of hell and its function vis-a-vis heaven and God (without the burden of what one religion or another may say about it).

Worth the time to read given its overall length and weight.
Iliana Veltcheva
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The opening chapter will most likely stay with me for at least a year. It was surprisingly powerful (I'm a depressingly seasoned horror reader who finds nothing unsettling anymore), to the point where I just couldn't bring myself to give the book 3 stars despite the occasional sloppiness and shark-jumping I could have well done without.
Kas
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I really did enjoy this story. It was an interesting take. The jumping points of view was disconcerting at first but done well enough that I could follow easily.

I desperately want to know what's going on with Kelly. What/Who she is. That's going to drive me a bit batty. Did I just miss it? (It's possible, I had kids clamoring around me all throughout)
Loretta
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a long time that I didn't want to put down. Having never read anything of this genre before, I wasn't sure how well I would like it. It was definitely a page turner, with some characters so despicable, I couldn't wait to see if they got everything that was coming to them. This book didn't disappoint. I own two more books from this author that I will definitely read.
Sheila
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
An unusual tale of Satan. There are some graphic moments but it fits the story and the book is worth going through the discomfort. I've enjoyed the books by this author and will continue to explore her work
Andrea Mantecon
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

This story is thought provoking. You will experience many emotions throughout. And delight you with its originality. You will cheer for the righteousness in the Angel Lucifer
Scott
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Didn't think this was going to amount to much but I was surprised. A cool little story about the devil coming to Earth, doling out justice, perhaps falling in love, and finding hope. A good single (perhaps two) night read.
Mike
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. It's not that often I've come across a book that paints the devil in a sympathetic light but compared to the two he's after in this book, he's a saint and the book did the job well of trying to get you to root on the devil to get his quarry.
Caroline
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
so i loved this book. i would have been fine without the romance slant. as a Christian, i've always been a "devil's advocate"

Paul
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
After all, Lucifer was an angel first.
Mary
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this book. I never thought I'd read a book that presented The Devil as a being that has a threshold for evil that two humans could actually exceed by doing something so wicked and evil that even The Devil decided that these humans were TOO evil. So, The Devil must come to earth to find them and punish them because they don't deserve a good life in the time that they have until Hell receives them. In doing so, memories of his time as an angel in Heaven stir and feelings of love ...more
Mark R.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
*1/2

I really hate to give a low rating to an underground horror novel; it doesn't make me happy to do so, but in this case, the words on the page just didn't connect with me at all.

Christine Dougherty's "The Devil Stood Up" opens with the premise that the Devil is not an underworld sadist, but simply a fallen angel who wishes he was still in heaven, who carries out his task of eternal punishment with no particular pleasure. Chugging through his head is a constantly evolving Litany of sins, the
Ana
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-ebooks
Laurel
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
This the second book I have read by the author. The first I rather liked (Zombie, Inc) and I had been looking forward to reading others. But this one I didn't like at all, sadly. The characters seemed extreme and melodramatic and I felt I was being preached at the whole time. It was grim, grim, grim and by two-thirds of the way through I just wanted it to be over. Glad I didn't read this book first.
Bayli
Jan 27, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-that-i-own
Wow. Not something I'd usually enjoy reading but this description has me thoroughly intrigued! Free today 1/27/13
Karen T. Shrom
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll flesh out this review very soon, but wow!
I started the book, and couldn't put it down!
I truly hope for a sequel!
Michelle Marchant
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A bit to real for me in the beginning due to the descriptive nature of a murder but once past that really enjoyed this book, a new spin on the devil being evil :-)

• Baby Talk (Book 1)
  • The Obsession of Henry Enright
  • Dark Web
  • Demonic Encounters: True Cases of Demon Encounters, Evil Entity Possessions, and Demonic Attacks
  • The Eclipse: What really happens to those who dissapear
  • The Poor and the Haunted
  • A Wistful Tale of Gods, Men, and Monsters
  • Blood Tenderly
  • Snowball
  • Dorodango: The Japanese Art of Making Mud Balls (Ceramic Art Projects, Mindfulness and Meditation Books)
  • If You Tame Me
Chris Dougherty writes from a secluded haven in southern New Jersey at the edge of the Pine Barrens.