Start by marking “Running To Extremes: Ray Zahab's Amazing Ultramarathon Journey” as Want to Read:
Running To Extremes: Ray Zahab's Amazing Ultramarathon Journey

Running To Extremes: Ray Zahab's Amazing Ultramarathon Journey

Ray Zahab was always the last to be picked for team games. Eventually, he quit trying and as he got older, he took up smoking and drinking. But after his grandfather and uncle died, and his father suffered a stroke, Ray realized he had to take charge of his life.

Ray gave up his destructive habits and started looking for new challenges. When he read about the 160-km Yukon
Paperback, First, 120 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by Puffin Canada

To ask other readers questions about Running To Extremes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running To Extremes

Start your review of Running To Extremes: Ray Zahab's Amazing Ultramarathon Journey
Sabine
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very quick and fun and inspiring read.
Ray smokes and drinks before he starts going on occasional runs and hikes with his brother. Looking for a challenge he signs up for a 100 mile race in Yukon without a lot of knowledge or experience in such an undertaking. And actually a bit surprisingly he has the right mindset and enough grit to finish a tough race like that.
From there on he goes on to even more challenging experiences in the Sahara, the Amazon, Niger, Death Valley and lots of other
David Germain
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
J'ai connu Ray Zahab en écoutant le film Running the Sahara. J'ai appris à le connaître davantage par la suite en le suivant dans ses diverses expéditions sur les médias sociaux et via i2P.

C'est très intéressant pour mieux connaître les débuts d'athlète de Zahab, mais ça passe vite sur ses expéditions, plus de développement aurait été apprécié. De plus, l'usage de la 3e personne dans la narration rend le tout trop impersonnel.
Niral
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
From smoker, to runner.

Wow, I thought running 10 kilometers was a lot. I guess I was wrong. Ray Zahab was an ordinary boy growing up, but he wasn't what his classmates would call athletic. He was always chosen last for every sport, in every class. He thought he didn't fit in, and took up drinking and smoking to take away all the feelings he would have, it would take him away from the world for while. His little brother John turned his life around. John
Randy
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Define your passion and pursue it. Success will come through perseverance. These words sum up many of the beliefs that Ray Zahab came to understand through his journey from two-packs a day to running ultra-marathons. Ray's running has taken him around the world, and helped to raise funds for many worthy charities. He is an inspiration to many, and his story is accessible to all. He openly discusses the demons in his life that tried to get him to quit. His success is due to the many people who ...more
Naomi
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a boy Ray was always picked last for a team because he couldn't catch a ball if his life depended on it. As he got older he turned to smoking and drinking. After he watched his family die from different illnesses Ray decided he had better get his life under control. We all have to make choices. Ray decided to train for a an ultramarathon - he runs his first in the Arctic where it is freezing cold. He discovers he loves running and is a natural at it. Great adventure, the writing really hooks ...more
Barbara McVeigh
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young adult, reluctant reader, ELL
Running to Extremes describes Ray Zahab's transformation from Old Ray, a smoking and drinking party-er to New Ray, an ultra-marathoner.

The book is simply written and intended for a young adult audience, especially reluctant or ELL readers. In fact, Zahab has used his experiences to start the "impossible2Possible" foundation to encourage teens to discover freedom from their own limitations by participating in extreme environment adventures.

The book shows that ultra-marathons reveal many valuable
Ann Frost
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
One of Tony's students gave him this book. Turns out it is a kid's book - written for probably a Grade 6 audience would be about my guess. A very quick read. Learned that Ray has a very high pain threshold! And really likes running in the Sahara. And that there are different kinds of ultra marathons: those that you have to carry all your gear and those that are supported; and those that you are just told to get to the end and those that are basically stage races with set stages to accomplish ...more
Yonina
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought that i didn't like nonfiction book but i really enjoyed Running to Extremes.I can't imgane what it would be like to run an ULTRAmarathon (even thinking about a normal marathon leaves tired)and training for it must be realy really tough.I am not sure how but the book held my mind to really see how amazing it was.5 stars an then some great read
Rob P
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Fast paced and short. I didn't realize until about halfway through the book that I already knew Ray's story from the Running the Sahara movie. Still unbelievable to think of running hundreds or thousands of miles through rainforests, deserts, and more.

Makes me feel like marathon training is a piece of cake.
Jordan
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
i found this book really insperational, but i found it it very boring at sometimes, it was a book that i didnt find myslef wanting to read at some points. I like what Ray did and how he was trying to make a difference in his life.
Al Keivan
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
An amazing stoty of effort and truimph. Rays epic journeys to yukon, multiple to the sahara, amazon and accross baffin not only push kim to his limits but help raise money for good causes. A great confidence inspiring book.
Celina
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I found it very inspirational! I feel that it really put some valuable information. If you are a runner or want to be a runner I'd recommend this book. Even if you're not it's still a good read.
Peter
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
it was amazing to learn how Ray Zahab turned his life around and started running ultra marathons. it was interesting to learn where his races were.
OhWell
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Good message – one’s mental attitude can make all the difference - but monotone writing.
Kate Spencer
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-book-goal
A Young Adult book, but inspiring to adults and runners alike. Simple, fast read, and made you feel like you were running along side the author.

loved it.
Soldotna Library
Truly inspirational

Every aspiring runner should read this book, anyone can take a wonderful lesson from Ray! Believe in yourself and don't give up
Brittany Long
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book I reallyed liked it because i'm a runner and love to read these things. I think anyone would like this this i sone of my favs
Monster
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was (unintentionally) written for a young adult audience.
Taylor
May 20, 2017
Kevin
Nov 18, 2012
James
rated it did not like it
Jun 20, 2013
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sh*t My Dad Says
  • The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great
  • Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17)
  • The Last Man (Mitch Rapp, #13)
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • The Rule of Three (The Rule of Three, #1)
  • Les retranchées : échecs et ravissement de la famille, en milieu de course
  • The Incomplete Book of Running
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Almost Super (Almost Super, #1)
  • Dark Site (Sam Dryden, #3)
  • The Rule of Three (Extinction Cycle; Extinction: NZ #1)
  • Extinction Horizon (The Extinction Cycle, #1)
  • Extinction Edge (The Extinction Cycle, #2)
  • Warlock: The Complete Collection
  • Fight for Power (The Rule of Three, #2)
  • Enemy of the State (Mitch Rapp, #16)
  • Will to Survive (The Rule of Three, #3)
“I'm just a regular guy who up until a few years ago totally underestimated what I felt I was capable of. Since then my experiences have taught me that we are all capable of the extraordinary in our lives.” 2 likes