Start by marking “Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales

Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales

Fairy tales seem to be innocent stories, yet they contain profound lessons for those who would dive deep into their waters of meaning. In this book, Marie-Louise von Franz uncovers some of the important lessons concealed in tales from around the world, drawing on the wealth of her knowledge of folklore, her experience as a psychoanalyst and a collaborator with Jung, and he ...more
Published February 7th 1995 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales

Start your review of Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales
Jaybird Rex
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interested both in fairy tales/horrors, and in psychology of a Jungian sort, I came to this book with an open mind and a grain of salt. It's no light read and one does need to pick up the psycho-lingo on the way through. The author (or speaker, as it were) interprets the often cryptic symbolism of several strange fairy tales you probably don't know. She does so with ease, which may leave you with something between awe and a taste of that grain-of-salt skepticism mentioned above. At points, I fou ...more
ספרן הלילה
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
An oldie, but a goody.
Katherine Sas
I probably learned more about Jungian psychology than about fairy tales, but there are definitely lots of interesting passages.
John Kulm
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and this author. As a close associate of Jung, she shares stories from her relationship with him throughout the book.

On the surface this book appears to be an explanation of Jungian views of metaphor and archetypes in fairy tales. But underneath it's like a mystical tome with clues about how to acquire magical abilities from archetypes and how to avoid possession by them.

Some quotes from the book:

“The shadow is simply the whole unconscious.”

“If one lived quite alone, it woul
Emily Johnson
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Von Franz's pov is a bit frustrating at times, but the book is worth it for the thought-provoking tales from international sources, and for the explanation of active imagination versus black magic.
Maan Kawas
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book by the Marie-Louise von Franze which examines the shadow and evil in fairy tales. Von Franz stresses that "They [Fairy Tales] are so profound that one cannot explain them superficially; they require that one dive into deep water."
James Curcio
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
A Jungian analysis of Fairy Tales. (Or is it the other way around?) Though many Jungian analyists have a "pat" method, von Franz recognizes that this is contrary to Jung's own intention in creating guideline concepts like the anima/animus, shadow, etc. As I had been hoping, she uses fairy tales as a method of showing the various ways that our inner lives can become tangled, or confusing, and sheds light on these through the examples provided by fairy tales. (This is contrary to the approach whic ...more
Ed
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tales
I have collected fairy tales for many years. If I had to rate the #1 person who has provided the most insight into these tales it is Marie-Louise Von Franz. These books, and there are a number of them, are fabulously insightful. Each one is hard to put down. I am sad that she has passed on and there will be no more.
Allison
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Have to be pretty into Jung to really enjoy this, I think.
Alanna Geare
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting comparative mythology but a little to self assured about Jungian methods of interpretation
Adrian Farrel
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not worthy of its reputation as an explanation of fairy tales

I think very carefully before posting anything less than a four or five star review of a book. "If you can't find anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all."

What is more, a book represents a serious emotional investment by an author, and a non-positive review is an attack (unsolicited and perhaps unwarranted) on the author's most precious creation.

However, sometimes a book has a reputation that exceeds its merits an
Janice Hila
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, intellectual study of the connection between fairy tales and Jungian psychology from someone who knew Jung personally. Take some ideas with a grain of salt, but very interesting and thought-provoking nonetheless.
Diane
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I found this interesting to read, and it has some moments of sparking really deep thoughts for me. But it feels a bit disjointed overall. Some of the author's interpretations and conclusions seem very dated or forced (like the foot being a phallic symbol????)
J. Sparks
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I closely study anything Marie-Louise von Franz has written. Actually this read of the book was a re-read. Her work stays fresh.
Justin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Although much easier to read than Jung (it was readable), this was too academic to hold my interest
F.J. Commelin
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very well written
Patrick
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This text is truly one of her classics. Van Franz can sometimes get mired in explicating myths over the course of 20 pages leaving very little room for theoretical development, but she provides a perfect balance in this work. This is a must have if you are an analytical psychologist.
Mephistopheles
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scholarly
Absolutely amazing, profound book.
Julien Carter MBGY
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rly interesting I found.
Leda Frost
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Depth psychology would be severely lacking without von Franz's copious input through her lectures and writings. This text explains the "processes at the back of the mind" and how they appear to us via stories and dreams. Anyone interested in fairy tales would do well to pick up this book, as well as those who find themselves fascinated with the darker side of storytelling.
Lisa
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales was not the book I was expecting it to be, but no less fascinating because of it. I was expecting a more general exploration at the concepts of darkness and evil in fairy tales, but instead Marie-Louise van Franz examines fairy tales from a Jungian/psychoanalytical perspective, focusing on Jung's concept of the shadow (a unconscious aspect or 'other half' of one's personality) and evil. As such Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales is more interested in what these tales a ...more
Eleanor Cowan
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Know yourself, examine yourself - find ways to acknowledge your anger and deal with it in respectful ways - otherwise, it will roil and boil and surface in powerfully unpleasant ways.

Recently, here in Calgary, Alta. a recent university psychology graduate stabbed five youth at an end of year gathering. Had he dealt with the issues bothering him, would this have happened?

The work of MLVF always reminds me that each of us has the capacity for great good - and great harm. Every time I read "a fai
Dandyboy
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it

Not the book I was expecting but an interesting read nontheless . . .

Fairy tales observed here are obscure and unknown with too many generalizations but they show how evil is depicted in old folklore if only in a superficial way .

I interpret that the anima often referred here is the eros or unconscious desire - life pursuing itself - whereas the shadow represents the destructive forces hidden inside our mind : fear , destruction , violence , ugliness , frustration , death , etc.

Vices showing
Claire
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure I liked this book. Her analysis of various fairy tales was interesting, and her stories of various clients were interesting, but she made SO MANY SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS! And her tone was annoyingly smug. And I didn't like her dismissing the whole discipline of shamanism as schizophrenic individuals terrorizing their primitive societies with their own psychotic fantasies.

The Jungian symbolism in the tales was intriguing, and the way she related it to real life cases was good. In al
Nikol
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Most of the time the book reads more like a journal than like an interpretation of fairy tales. Franz jumps between her own experience with Jungian analysis (either as an analysand/analyst) and Jungian interpretation of fairy tales; she often disrupts the interpretation with her own comments on the problem/or throws in some highly admiring story about Jung, Jung's life, Jung's way of thinking.

If you are a great fan of Jung (and consider him a superstar), then the book is for you. If you are int
Beth
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
It was to put a date from the pull-down menu about when I read this because I picked it up and read it in pieces over the years. Von Franz is beyond reproach in her analysis of evil in fairytales. Since I love tales and am conversant with my shadow, it is a great read for me.
Car Mint
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing when i read about why some characters in stories do something look scary and horrible. Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales can answer many question about that. This book make a very deep meaning and turn fairy tales into mystery story.
Bridgett
May 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great insights into the darker side of fairy tales and human nature.
Diana Michele
May 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Very interesting read if you are a fan of the Jungian approach. She explores places that we like to ignore - to our detriment.
Mariana
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series of books by Marie-Louise von Franz. Who studied with Carl Young. It's important to pursue the consciousness within ourselves.

• The Dream and the Underworld
  • The Great Mother: An Analysis of the Archetype (Bollingen)
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • The Red Book: Liber Novus
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • Amor and Psyche: The Psychic Development of the Feminine
  • Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
  • The Secret Commonwealth: An Essay of the Nature and Actions of the Subterranean (and, for the Most Part) Invisible People, Heretofore Going under the Name of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies
  • Eleusis: Archetypal Image of Mother and Daughter
  • The Mysteries: Papers from the Eranos Yearbooks 2
  • Iron John: A Book About Men
  • Answer to Job
  • The Hero's Adventure: Power of Myth 1
Marie-Louise von Franz was a Swiss Jungian psychologist and scholar.
Von Franz worked with Carl Jung, whom she met in 1933 and knew until his death in 1961. Jung believed in the unity of the psychological and material worlds, i.e., they are one and the same, just different manifestations. He also believed that this concept of the unus mundus could be investigated through research on the archetypes

News & Interviews

“People who have a creative side and do not live it out are most disagreeable clients. They make a mountain out of a molehill, fuss about unnecessary things, are too passionately in love with somebody who is not worth so much attention, and so on. There is a kind of floating charge of energy in them which is not attached to its right object and therefore tends to apply exaggerated dynamism to the wrong situation.” 72 likes
“Gyermeknek lenni éppenséggel nem azt jelenti, hogy megmaradjunk az óvodában, hanem először is ki kell nőnünk belőle, a világban uralkodó rossznak teljes tudatában felnőtté kell válnunk, és azután vissza kell szereznünk a saját belső integritásunkat, vagy újra meg kell találnunk a belső lényeghez vezető utat, és nem szabad nagy gyermekként tovább üldögélnünk az erdőben és azt hinnünk, ez a valódi élet!” 2 likes