Start by marking “London by Tube: A History of Underground Station Names” as Want to Read:
London by Tube: A History of Underground Station Names

London by Tube: A History of Underground Station Names

If you’ve ever wanted to know where the Underground’s station names come from, then this is the book for you! London by Tube is an essential read for anyone curious about London and its historic Underground. The book takes the reader on a fascinating journey around the Tube network to reveal the history behind the names of all 268 stations. Packed full of lively stories ab ...more
Published October 2nd 2011 (first published September 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about London by Tube, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about London by Tube

James Calbraith
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
An ambitious project, but the inconsistency is its downfall. While I can understand that some little-used stations on the outskirts warrant little but a paragraph's mention, surely something interesting has happened around places like Hammersmith and Victoria...?
Also, the selection of anecdotes gets pretty monotonous pretty fast; you'd think the only events of note in London's history were the Blitz, the dissolution of monasteries, and the career of Dick Turpin.
Nikki
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This has some interesting bits, but a history of every single station on the Underground becomes a little boring and repetitive in pretty short order. Some bad editing of the ebook, too. More of a dipping-into sort of book than something to read straight through, I think.
BrokenTune
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I came across this by accident and it turned out to be a great little find.

Like many others, I have often wondered about the weird and wonderful names of London's tube stations, and even though my imagination never quite stretched far enough to conjure up scenes as impressive as Neil Gaiman's (see Neverwhere) I had my own little stories about some of them.

So, it was such a joy to read that some of the facts and actual history behind the stations and the names are just as weird and wonderful as
Calum Beaton
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This book isn't just about how the stations got their names but also gives a history of the underground & how it was built along with some interesting historical facts regarding the stations or areas also what these villages or hamlets were like before the sprawl of London enveloped them. Every thing here from Executions, Templar Knights, Parkland's, Why Putney Bridge was built & the sad fate of the inspiration for Peter Pan.
I read the Kindle edition so I don't know if this is the case
Hazel Went
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book only barely covered the history of the station names themselves, although did offer some history of the local areas. It wasn't really what I was looking for. Added to that, the book contained a number of irritating grammatical mistakes, and the order in which it described stations was unhelpful. I would have expected the stations to be ordered by area or by line; they were actually ordered alphabetically. This led to a fair amount of duplication of material, since certain facts were co ...more
Lynn Brown
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hoped for more about the well known stations, I had little interest in the more outlying ones. Fairly dull reading.
Pamela
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A journey through all the Underground stations of London, listed in alphabetical order. Each entry describes the origin of the name, when the station was opened and when it was added to the Tube network. In addition, many of the entries have additional information about notable events or connections of the area - for example, the Great Fire of London for Monument station or Jack the Ripper for Whitechapel.

The structure of the book means that there is significant repetition across many of the en
Sis
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good reference book

This was a pretty entertaining read, mixing the history of the Tube with that of the lands above it, of what transpired there and how these events changed London for good. Although most of the time the data of each station borders on the anecdotical, it's never boring, and sometimes even helped me tie loose ends on my English history. All in all I'd say this ebook is more than worth its price.

Tthis book is not for everyone, I would certainly recommend it to everyone who ever l
Michael
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, travel
For the most part it was an interesting read. Many of the stories are primarily the same, "...started prior to WW2 when construction was halted and tunnel was used for shelter..." It is a good read if interested in getting snippets of London, and surrounding area, history. David Revill does a good job of sharing the stories and sharing in alphabetical order by station name.
Karen
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting read but a bit monotonous after a while. I have to wonder why some stations were included at all when it seems like nothing interesting happened nearby and all that we are given is the date the station opened, by which original railroad company, and the year it became part of the underground. I would have preferred more information on fewer stations. Not bad overall.
Anne
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Bit of an underground geek after travelling on it for many years and wanted to understand some of the history. Was also a cheap book for the kindle and pleased I purchased it before the Olympics so I could gain knowledge of the east end.
Jules
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: London lovers
Recommended to Jules by: Amazon
Pretty interesting, providing a good summary of a brief history of London using the underground stations as its basis. Learnt a fair few things about my resident city from this. Handy to have around especially if you want to impress visitors to London!
Elizabeth-Anne
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fascinating book shedding light on the stories not only behind the names of the Underground stations but of the history of each area. There is some repetition but this is to be expected in a book that should really be dipped into whilst exploring.
Christine
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
very interesting especially if you like history explains how stations and the areas around the stations got there names
Karen Murray
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Lots of interesting information about tube stations and how they got their names, found this fascinating.
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating snippets of history
Nathalie
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read, good for a bit of a London fan like me. It has made me want to go back to London now though!
Sally
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yes I'm a geek. I'm not even sorry.
Lump
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Although impressive in some ways on the whole, the information on any single station is quite thin and frankly lacking.
Dominic Hall
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Quite a lot of repetition but still interesting...and not just for trainspotters!
Sharon
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, a really interesting read
Carla
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, kindle
Best read in small parts
Nat
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A good book for anyone who is fascinated by London. The format meant that some tube stations that are more modern and in quieter areas didn't have much to say for themselves
❀ Hana
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: babad-umum
3.5/5

Fascinating historical facts mostly on London, some chunks on UK and Europe in general.
Dave
Stephen Robertson
Mar 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Underground  Overground: A Passenger's History of the Tube
  • The Great Stink of London: Sir Joseph Bazalgette and the Cleansing of the Victorian Metropolis
  • London: A Life in Maps
  • The Subterranean Railway
  • A London Year: 365 Days of City Life in Diaries, Journals and Letters
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of the British Monarchy
  • The Hidden Europe: What Eastern Europeans Can Teach Us
  • Manners, Custom And Dress During The Middle Ages And During The Renaissance Period (Forgotten Books)