Start by marking “I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)” as Want to Read:
I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)

I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906

(I Survived #5)

The terrifying details of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake jump off the page!
Ten-year-old Leo loves being a newsboy in San Francisco -- not only does he get to make some money to help his family, he's free to explore the amazing, hilly city as it changes and grows with the new century. Horse-drawn carriages share the streets with shiny new automobiles, new businesses and
Published March 1st 2012 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Start your review of I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)
TL
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was just okay for me.
Not bad, just not great *shrugs*

I did love the characters and there were some great moments in here that I loved and had me smiling/raging but the landscape/setting didn't jump out at me like with the previous installments I read. This time, it was more the people and circumstances.. if that makes sense.

Narrator: Jennifer Bronstein - four stars

3.25 stars overall for this one
Joseph Haas
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading "I Survived: The San Francisco Earthquake, 1906" by Lauren Tarshis. This book is about a boy named Leo, and his friends Morris, Wilkie, and Fletch. Leo and his friends have a normal day in San Francisco until a horrific earthquake happens and destroys buildings and sets off many fires. I gave this book 4 stars because it was very interesting but was boring at times. This book is historical fiction. I would recommend this book to all 6th graders because it is very ...more
Michelle Rogers
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
My almost 8 year old son and I took turns reading this out loud to each other and we both really enjoyed it.
The I Survived series are a fun historical fiction set that provide details about the event/tragedy told through the story of a child who survived the event. The story was entertaining and I learned about this tragedy that I had not really known about before we got this book.
Stephanie  Weatherly
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great historical fiction novel about the San Francisco earthquake. The plot moved along quickly. I enjoyed how the author weaved in flashbacks (memory moments) to help develop the characters and move along the plot.
raevyn {rae}
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
i've long since grown out of this series, but they still make nice, quick reads on occasion :)
Sheriden Haase
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book "I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906" was a good historical novel. Small chapters are in this reading and there are good descriptions of the conflicts that are happening.

The plot has Leo walking the streets trying to find a place to make money and be safe. Leo meets a young boy named Morris. Morris shares Leo's most valuable secret. Leo has a golden nugget that he keeps in his pocket of his jeans at all times. Leo's dad died from the yellow fever, but the memories have always
Gavin
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response.
I enjoyed the book, I Survived The San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 , by Lauren Tarshis, because it portrayed some of the real events that happened at that time. I felt this book had informed me on the devastating events that took place in 1906. Lauren Tarshis did a great job describing all the details in the book.
Plot.
In the beginning of the book, Leo Ross, the main character, was selling newspaper. Leo got jumped by two other boys in a back alley while he was taking a
Zacx Brunk
Book title: I Survived The San Francisco Earthquake, 1906

Personal Response: I thought this book was pretty good and very realistic to the actual things that happen. I also loved that they added a whole different story onto it. This could have been a real scenario that happened during this event so that was very cool and interesting. It tells the reader little tips about things being deceiving.

Plot: The story starts out with the actual events like the earthquake and then it flashes back to 20
Shari
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More about a gold nugget than an earthquake

The title is about an earthquake. I am working with a group of 9 year olds reading this and they wondered why there weren’t more facts about earthquakes in the story. Instead the story focused more on a gold nugget that is stolen, found and sold. If I wanted to know more about the gold rush, I would have picked a book about the gold rush. Very disappointed.
Amber Scaife
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had never read any of the I Survived series, although I know that they're really popular with the kiddos at school. Meh. Neither Charlie nor I were impressed. I get that there's a need for simple chapter books to ease some kids into reading, and that it's tricky finding topics that different kids will enjoy, and I'm happy that these fill a niche for some of those kiddos, but I think Charlie and I are not the intended audience.
Pink
I understand that this is really low middle grade, so she probably wanted to keep it short and not freak kids out with too much destruction, but I definitely would have liked more of the "surviving" part of the story.
Samantha DeBlois
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trimester-1
Honestly, I love the I Survived series. This book was so powerful and suspenseful. I thought it had a lot of detail and I felt like I was right there with Leo every step of the way. I know this is fiction but it also has a lot of facts. I learned about what it was like to be in San Fransisco at the time of the earthquake and the devastation the fire caused was catastrophic. I truly enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quick read.
Claire Y
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Historical fiction. Facts are true and all the places in the book are real -- only the characters are not.
Addison Marden
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
it was really good but the sad part was how many people died
Osorio Salvador
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book. There is hardly any lack of detail. I feel bad for Leo and what he went through. The San Andreas was a crazy earthquake, and I would hate to be there when it happened. I still think that the book had almost no lack of detail, but then again, ALMOST.
Jorge Mota
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book called “ I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake”, By Lauren Tarshis is the book that read. The book was about a 10 year old boy named Leo. This took place in 1906 in San Francisco. The day was just a normal one until the earthquake takes place. I would recommend this book because it is a great book in my opinion.
Lexi
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 by Lauren Tarshis is a very exciting historical novel. The plot of the book is about a young boy named Leo who lives in San Francisco. He sells newspapers to get by because his father died of the fever and he has no family living nearby. He has a precious gold nugget that he keeps in his pocket at all times, that he got from his grandfather. But then one day as Leo was selling his newspapers two big bullies named Fletch and Wilkie beat him up and ...more
Margie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The I survived stories of which there are 16 books, are for preteens. The story is told around actual events throughout history with different characters for each book. Even though for young children, the books seem interesting for anyone.
Dakota Lenz
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Personal Response:
I really enjoyed reading this book. I would say it is one of the better books that I have read in high school. I thought the book really hooked me in and made me want to keep reading. I think that is probably why I read it in three days. Leo, who is the main character in this book is forced to choose, either save his friend Morris and risk his life in the process or get out. I think this book really was a good read and I would like to read other books in this series.

Plot:
Leo is
Thomas
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Joshua Turner
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
"I thought that this story had a well developed plot. I do think it should went more in depth of how the four characters survived against such a disaster. What I mean by that is when they had been hit by the enormous earth quake I wished they had been somewhere else when it had happened, the book had it happen to fast, I will not spoil anything about how it happened all I am going to confirm is that the story zoomed through that event way too fast. Overall I thought it was a beautiful book, it ...more
Elyse
Mar 14, 2016 added it
I read The book, I survived: The attacks in San Francisco. This is a very interesting yet informative book. This book is written by Lauren Tarshis. She wrote all the books in the I survived series. They are all quite good but I have only read one other in the series of which has many books. Lauren Tarshis. Lauren Tarshis has written many kids book but is most famous for this series. She is 52 and born in United States. After I read the book, I survived a tsunami I found this book. It great and ...more
Nathan Kaczmarek
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The book I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 was about a young ten year old boy, Leo, who lives in San Francisco. He is a paper boy, he loves seeing new things, so he love his job. While he's on the job, a deadly earthquake strikes. One minute of this powerful quake could mean life or death. Can Leo survive this terrible force of mother nature? Find out by reading this good book.
I liked the book. It had a good story line that made me get sucked in, which I liked. Also, it was exciting
Charlie G
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I Survived was an ok book about a kid named Leo, his "annoying" friend Morris and two bullies named Wilkie and Fletch. Leo gets his gold stolen by the worst bullies in town and he tries to get it back. But soon he notices that he is in the middle of a gigantic earthquake. After all the bricks fell down from the building they were in Fletch left Wilkie under the ruin for him to die. When he gets out, Wilkie and Leo find Morris and save him from the fire but let Fletch die. They finally get out ...more
Jenny
Several of my third graders enjoy these I Survived books so I decided it was time to read a few. They are historical fiction, introducing real events with fictional characters. This one follows a young boy named Leo who is being bullied as he survives the earthquakes and fires that destroyed so much of San Francisco in 1906. The story focused more on Leo and less on the earthquake than I would have preferred...however, it was engaging and does at least introduce students to this historical event ...more
Bryan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 7pla, young-adult
So the story is about this kid named Leo. Leo wants to be like his grandfather, his grandfather was clever, resourceful, and strong. The story takes place in San Francisco in 1906. Leo gets introduced and his gold nugget gets introduced. So the bullies Fletch and Wilkie take his golden nugget and Leo says that he never told anyone except a skinny little kid named Morris. Morris and Leo make a plan about how to take Leo's golden nugget back. I liked the plot, setting and characters in the story. ...more
Nick H
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The San Francisco Earthquake was a book about a boy trying to survive during the earthquake of San Francisco.I liked it but it could have been better.The story plot was kind of boring and stupid but it was okay.
Renata
This was fine. It honestly seemed more like a story about surviving bully newsies* than surviving the earthquake, but the earthquake also happened.

* by which I mean newsies who are bullies, not newsies who are "bully!" in Theodore Roosevelt's usage
Dilenia Ayala
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this book was really good because the boy had experienced something I never did so if you like books that are about real life incidents you should read this book.
Caitlyn Roddy
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book.

• What Was the Gold Rush?
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • What Was the Boston Tea Party?
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
  • What Were the Twin Towers?
  • Collision Course (Titanic, #2)
  • Who Was Walt Disney?
  • Survivors (Stranded, #3)
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Harriet Tubman?
  • Charge of the Lightning Bugs (The Notebook of Doom #8)
  • What Was Ellis Island?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • Who Was George Washington?
  • Who Was Elvis Presley?
  • Who Were the Beatles?
  • The Land of the Spring Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #14)
Lauren Tarshis often wonders how she came to spend most of her waking moments thinking about disasters, as the author of the children's historical fiction series "I Survived." Each book takes readers into the heart of history's most thrilling and terrifying events, including the sinking of the Titanic, the Shark Attacks of 1916, Hurricane Katrina, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the San Francisco ...more

I Survived (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived, #1)
  • I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)
  • I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005 (I Survived, #3)
  • I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 (I Survived, #4)
  • I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (I Survived, #6)
  • I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived, #7)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 (I Survived, #10)
  • I Survived the Great Chicago Fire, 1871 (I Survived, #11)