Start by marking “Heart of a Killer” as Want to Read:
Heart of a Killer

Heart of a Killer

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,387 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
Jamie Wagner is a young lawyer who is happy to be flying under the radar at a large firm. It's not that he isn't smart. He is. It's just that hard work, not to mention the whole legal thing, isn't exactly his passion. Underachiever? A little. Content? Right up until the firm puts him on a case that turns his whole world upside down.

Sheryl Harrison has served four years of
Published February 14th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published February 9th 2012)

James Thane
Jamie Wagner is a young lawyer at a large firm on the fast track to nowhere, at least professionally. He knows that he's never going to make partner, which is okay by him because, while he's a really smart guy and a Harvard graduate, he's not all that ambitious. He's generally marking time and flying under the radar when the firm assigns him to a pro bono case.

Jamie's new client is Sheryl Harrison who confessed to the murder of her husband six years earlier and was convicted of the crime. She's
Jim
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked his Andy Carpenter series, a lawyer with the Golden Retriever, Tara, & I have to give Rosenfelt a lot of credit for running a dog rescue operation while writing crime novels. This might be the best book I've listened to by him, a stand alone.

The main character is a rather lazy, directionless, dissatisfied lawyer, a drone. There are two main threads; a woman who wants to donate her heart to her daughter & a computer terrorist wreaking havoc. Both are very believable, give plenty o
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
A guy who begins his author profile by saying "I am a novelist with 27 dogs" gets a chance to show me what he's got. For sure. The man has his priorities straight.

This was pretty good. 3.5 stars
What I found even more compelling than the heart donation dilemma was the "co-plot" reminding us of how truly vulnerable we are in this modern age where absolutely everything is run by computers.

Marla
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Good suspense story. It was a little slow at first as it was establishing the plot but there were enough twists and guesses that it kept me riveted. Well worth the read.
Amanda McGill
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I was not expecting to love this novel as much as I did!

I ran a Turkey Trot race in 2015 and as part of the race kit pickup you got to select a few free books! Heart of a Killer was one of those free books. I've had it on my shelf for over a year and decided that I needed to read it. I went into the novel with low exceptions and ended up finishing the novel in a few hours.

There are 2 story lines to this novel that eventually come together. Jamie is a lawyer, who is pretty content just doing the
Wisteriouswoman
The story had interesting twists and turns but definitely wasn't an edge of the seat page-turner. A couple of times I fell asleep reading it. That said, I enjoy his plodding along style.

Great book for reading while on a recumbent exercise bike. I got lost a couple of times because he switches from character to character and sometimes uses different names for each. Some authors actually tell you at the beginning of a chapter whose view point the story is switching too. Women tend to be called by
Pamela Kramer
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 'Heart of a Killer,' David Rosenfelt combines his many talents -- writing great dialogue, plots with great twists, and a wry sense of humor -- to end up with a book that is difficult to put down.

The plot is unique. A woman convicted of murdering her husband wants to die so that she can donate her heart to her daughter, who will die without a heart transplant. Jamie Wagner is the unfortunate attorney who is handed the pro-bono (free) case by his employers.

Jamie doesn't feel so unfortunate when
Leslie
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I think that his may be,in my humble opinion, Mr. Rosenfelt's best. Heck, what a page turner. Each short chapter was thrilling with a cliff hanger sentence at the end of each. Interesting plot and wonderful character development,evoking empathy,sympathy,admiration,fear and loathing. A self proclaimed underachieving Harvard lawyer..a divorced police detective that is smart on the job and loving his ex wife off the job..the imprisoned client who may or may not have killed her mysterious husband Ch
Jami
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started out a bit slow for me and I wasn't sure about it. But it didn't take long for me to get pulled into the story. There were a few twists and surprises at the end that I didn't see coming. Very interesting plots between the heart transplant, computer crimes and the connection between the two.
Barbara Nutting
Quite an intricate plot - a little too feasible what with the Russians hacking the 2016 Presidential election!! I guess anything is possible. I read this in dribs and drabs so at the end I wasn't sure of where the bad guy entered the story!! I'd read another by this author even though the book was a little slow moving.
Diane S ☔
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stand alone but I love his characters. They are always humorous, self effacing and the new lawyer in this one is very likable. The plot is a very different type of case and it moves along swiftly. Strange to read a Rosenfelt book minus Golden Retrievers but I enjoyed this book.
Jeannette
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little hard to follow in the beginning but well worth the pursuit.
Marg
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense

This is a hard topic to write & read about. I found this book slow and harder to get interested in than Rosenfelt's other books - the story jumps from one perspective to the next chapter to chapter, and sometimes within a chapter (I think?).
Dianna Shimizu
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
What an awesome book! I was hoping for another in his series, but this is a stand alone book. But like his series hero, this main character is a wise-cracking sarcastic man, which I really liked. Great story that kept me turning the pages to find out what was going to happen.
Jmrathbone
May 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing I can say is that I borrowed this book from the library so I may have wasted time reading this convoluted fable, but I didn’t spend money for it.
Carol Hunsicker
I think this is the first novel I have read by David Rosenfelt. It read really fast and held my interest. All in all a good suspense thriller.
Barbara
I liked the book but found it too contrived - imagine that with David Rosefelt! Actually would rate it 3.5 if that was an option.
benebean
not as much fun as the andy carpenter series but still a good story
Liz
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Interesting dilemma in this murder mystery. I liked the characters and the mystery was compelling and made me freak out just a bit in regards to technology and hackers.
Myrna
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about Sheryl Harrison who is in jail, having been convicted of killing her abusive husband. Sheryl's teenage daughter, Karen, needs a heart transplant. Sheryl is a match and she wants to die and become Karen's donor. It's an interesting topic and while the story didn't move along fast enough, I pushed on to see how David Rosenfelt would handle the topic. If you like a light mystery, you will like this book.
Shonna Froebel
Jamie Wagner is a young lawyer working at a large law firm. He plugs away at the contract law he is working on, but isn't inspired and know he isn't going anywhere there.
When he gets assigned a pro bono case and goes to meet his client, a woman incarcerated for killing her husband seven years earlier, his life changes. Sheryl Harrison is the client and her fourteen-year-old daughter Karen has been diagnosed with a congenital heart condition that will end her young life soon if she doesn't get a
Kristin
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conceptually, this plot sounds like that of a Jodi Picoult book. Mother is serving a life sentence in jail for murdering her husband, wants to donate her heart to her terminally ill teenager and hires a lawyer to fight for her right to do so. The lawyer soon realizes that the state of New Jersey wants nothing to do with allowing this woman to commit suicide, nor will they execute her as she's not on death row. His only hope is getting her paroled, although this is complicated by the fact that th ...more
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
The general concept of this book drew me in. I stopped reading the blurb at Sheryl wanting to give her heart to her daughter, and navigating the legal system to do so, while her lawyer tried to prove her innocence. I would have been perfectly happy if this was the whole point of the book. Once I realized it included all the terrorist attacks, more deaths, computer experts, it kind of lost its brilliance to me. There wasn't so much an investigation into the murder of Sheryl's husband as much as t ...more
Christine
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Four years ago, sitting next to her husband’s bloody body Sheryl Harrison confessed to his murder. It was an open and shut case as far as the police were concerned. Now Sheryl needs a lawyer to help her make amends. Enter Jamie Wagner … uninterested, unmotivated and definitely an underachiever at his corporate law offices. Sheryl’s was a mandatory pro bono case that landed on his desk. From the minute he met Sheryl he knew that the pieces did not quite fit. But now she was asking him to do the i ...more
Paul Pessolano
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Heart of a Killer” by David Rosenfelt, published by Minotaur Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Sheryl Harrison has confessed to murdering her husband. She has spent the last four year in prison, with another twenty-six years yet to serve.

Sheryl’s daughter, Karen, who is thirteen, has a congenital heart defect and to make matters worse has a rare blood type. It seems the only match for a replacement heart is Sheryl.

Jamie Wagner, a low on the rung attorney for a prestigious law firm, is given a ca
Linda
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed David Rosenfelt's books, especially the Andy Carpenter series. This book, "Heart of a Killer" introduces a new character, Jamie Wagner, a seemingly underachieving lawyer who isn't on the fast track to make partner. One day, Wagner is called in by upper management in his firm to do a pro-bono case. The client is a young woman (Sheryl) in prison for confessing to murdering her husband. But this case isn't about that murder - it's about her wanting to kill herself in order to do ...more
Kat
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gloria Feit
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setting aside his popular and irreverent New Jersey attorney, Andy Carpenter, as a protagonist, David Rosenfelt has created a standalone based on another attorney, Jamie Wagner, a Harvard graduate who is a six-year associate at a leading Newark law firm. Basically unambitious, and no less a quipster than Andy, although his area of concentration is in contract law Jamie is handed a pro bono case he is ill-equipped to handle: a woman who wants to donate her heart to save her 14-year-old daughter’s ...more
Beverly
A dead husband, a wife that admits she killed him, a daughter with a serious heart condition that requires a transplant and a young attorney who suddenly lands with a case in his lap...not really sure he wants this much responsibility. Jamie Wagner, after reviewing the case, doesn't believe that Sheryl actually killed her husband, the evidence doesn't add up but at this point she's already served 4 years of her sentence. She wants to donate her heart to her daughter Karen because she has the sam ...more
  • Unknown Means
  • Flat Spin (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #1)
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
  • Acts of Desperation
  • Weapon of Choice
  • If Thy Right Hand
  • In Doubt
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • The Gardens of the Dead (Father Anselm, #2)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • Just Mercy
  • The Advocate's Conviction (The Advocate #3)
  • Judgment Day (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #6)
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3)
  • Land of Careful Shadows (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #1)
  • The Hunter (Wyatt Hunt, #3)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By
More about David Rosenfelt...