Jump to ratings and reviews

Titanic: Disaster at Sea [With Poster]

At head of title: RMS Titanic, Liverpool.

64 pages, Library Binding

First published January 1, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Philip Wilkinson

172 books26 followers
Philip Wilkinson (born 1955) is the author of non-fiction books for children and adults. He was educated at Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He worked as an editor prior to becoming an author.

He specializes in works on history, the arts, religion, and architecture and has written over forty titles.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews
Profile Image for Sheri.
1,089 reviews34 followers
February 22, 2021
I’m thinking of watching the Titanic movie again soon so I picked up this children’s book to refresh my memory on the facts. This fascinating and well done book covers the sinking, the discovery of the shipwreck on the ocean floor, stage and screen adaptations of the story, and tributes and memorials to those who lost their lives.

This is a spectacular book; I must admit I got caught up in reading and viewing the pictures! There’s just so much to take in on every page. The detailed information is presented in short passages that allow the reader to easily skip around and take in the facts that appeal to them first. Another feature I really liked was the fold-out diagram showing the exterior and interior of the ship as it helped me to visualize where things were in relation to each other.

I was also intrigued by the number of people who predicted the disaster. There were so many dreams and visions that one can’t help but wonder about psychic forces. Most impressive was the novel Futility, published in 1898. Morgan Robertson tells of a large ship, called Titan, which sinks in the Atlantic after hitting an iceberg. Many die because there are not enough lifeboats. Was it fate that caused fiction to become fact? It gives me chills just thinking about it.

Both kids and adults will enjoy this informative and richly illustrated read and it's a good companion for those planning to watch the movie as a family.
Profile Image for Sandra "Jeanz".
1,149 reviews163 followers
March 10, 2012
This book is a large, illustrated book aimed mainly at children. It is being released to commemorate the tragedy of the Disaster At Sea that was the titanic sinking in April 1912.

MY REVIEW
I have to say even though this book is most probably aimed at the younger generation, I found it fascinating. The cover is very tactile as it is embossed. It has a dramatic view (from a lifeboat) of the Titanic about to sink in the background. you can see the people looking horrified at the ship, not quite believing that the beautiful ship was sinking.
The book contains a large, exclusive Poster and Fold Out diagram of the ship.The poster is a glossy large image of the ship, with smaller images at the bottom depicting scenes from the Titanic. the smaller pictures range from the Building of the Titanic, leaving the port, through to Among the Boiler, and A Life First Class, to eventually the titanic sinks and also a Finding the Titanic picture.
The fold out diagram of the ship has a cross section of the Titanic featured so that you can actually see the different levels on the ship from the Bilge right up to where the lifeboats were stowed up on deck.This picture alone brings the ship "to life" (if it is not in poor taste to make such a comment). The pictures in this book show you what the Titanic was really like. The beautifully adorned ship, it also goes into the tragedy, the personal tragedy of the people sadly lost at sea, those who didn't make it, whose bodies were never recovered. This is a fantastic factual book that surely cannot fail to impress and engage anyone. This book would be the ideal gift for a Titanic enthusiast, or a child doing a project about the Titanic at school.
So did I enjoy the book? YES Would I recommend the book? YES Will I read more books about the Titanic? Yes, though this is one of my favourites! Would I read more by this author? Yes I am sure he can make most subjects really interesting too!
If you have an interest in Titanic or have children and buy them factual books, then put this book on your to- buy list now!

Available from Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk £11.34 (well worth the money!)
Profile Image for Lisa.
451 reviews4 followers
February 7, 2017
This book is beautiful and packed full of information on the Titanic, from being built to the terrible night it sank. As much as I have read and watched about the Titanic there were interesting things I never knew.
I bought this book for my 10 year old son who is doing a reading fair project on the Titanic. I enjoyed reading it and would recommend to any collector or teacher for their classroom. The poster is beautiful and there is a fold out diagram, which is a map, inside and out of the entire ship. I am glad I purchased this amazing book and am happy to have it in our library!
Profile Image for Sue Morris.
157 reviews12 followers
February 20, 2012
RMS Titanic set sail on April 12, 1912. She is the largest ocean liner to date and considered the most luxurious and the safest. Unsinkable is what the Titanic was considered. There were watertight compartments that were to keep the ship afloat, even if one or two filled up with water. The White Star Line, run by Bruce Ismay, was proud of Titanic. She was the ocean liner that would best any liner built by Cunard, the other major cruise line company. After watching the building of Titanic, and her sister ship Olympic, Mr. Ismay was anxious to test his unsinkable ship.

RMS Titanic reached two ports of call and then set sail for New York City. Two nights later, Titanic was on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, broken in two. She never made it to New York. Because the ship did not have enough lifeboats for all the passengers and crew; because some refused to believe the ship would sink; and because the crew was slow to react, many people lost their life that night. Titanic: Disaster at Sea will take you from construction to the recovery of items, seventy years later.

First, a disclosure: I am a Titanic “Nut.” Anything Titanic and I want to see it; no, I need to see it. Unfortunately, with the digital edition in my eReader, I could not see much. This book has tons of original photographs, diagrams, small snippets of information, and lists of amazing information about the ship, the passengers, and the crew. All of this crammed onto a seven inch eReader does not work. I have not seen this on a ten-inch eReader, so it may or may not look as gorgeous as it does in print.

In the, old-fashioned, printed version Titanic: Disaster at Sea is an amazing collection of factoids, photographs, drawings and most anything else the author could find to get this rather huge volume of information together, so kids can understand the tragedy of that , what lead up to it, and what came after. If you do not understand most things Titanic after reading this book, I am not sure what would help. Kids are going to love this. Titanic enthusiasts are going to love this.

The pages burst with color and information. Not a single space is wasted. Mr. Wilkinson did an amazing job assembly all the details he has. Details of Titanic’s floors and a crosscut of the ship are on a four-page spread pullout. In addition, a poster of this spread is included; perfect for a kid’s bedroom wall. I love kid’s books but I do not gush about them. Okay, I was bowled over one time: Wonderstruck. Well, this is the second time. I love this book. Mr. Wilkinson and the design team at Weldon Owen, plus publisher Capstone, have made a gem. April fourteenth will be the 100th anniversary of the sinking of Titanic. Schools all over the country will be doing something related to Titanic. Already, titles are flooding bookstore bookshelves. Titanic: Disaster at Sea should be the one on your kid’s bookshelf.

Note: book received courtesy of the publisher.
Review from Kid Lit Reviews kid-lit-reviews
Also viewable at Tween and Teen Books
Profile Image for Andrea.
693 reviews13 followers
June 3, 2012
[This review appears on Andi's Kids Books.]

I was a kid when the Titanic was found lying at the bottom of the sea. I was absolutely mesmerized by the story and all of those photographs published in the National Geographic magazine. The book Titanic: Disaster at Sea is the kind of book I would have read to shreds when I was a kid.

It is one of those nonfiction books for kids that is chock full of details on just about every aspect of the topic. It shares the history of shipbuilding at the time, to put Titanic into perspective. A giant pull-out poster demonstrates the sheer size of the vessel, with a detailed diagram explaining all of her bells and whistles. Illustrations adorn each page to demonstrate the action of the moment. Each illustration is accompanied by fact boxes that detail each person or item, including a real photograph. I think the real photographs are key to really teaching about the history of Titanic. When the part comes about the sinking, a timeline is included in each corner, based on the bridge time and records kept.

A brief section following the details of the sinking highlights some of the more famous survivor stories, almost like a newspaper from the times. The book then touches on the discovery of the ship, the traveling exhibit and famous movies about Titanic before discussing modern steamliners and the lessons learned.

While I was reading through this book, I didn't particularly notice any new information that I had not yet already encountered somewhere else. However, this is one of the most complete and up-to-date books for kids that I have seen about the tragedy. It isn't a book that is going to be easily shared in a group of children. It is a book that is going to engage children either individually or with one other person as they devour all of the tidbits of information. For me, it would have inspired a desire to learn even more about the ship. I would recommend it for elementary and older.

I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Kellie Sheridan.
Author 29 books207 followers
March 10, 2012

Even though this book is technically for children and younger teens, I actually managed to learn some interesting things about The Titanic. Titanic: Disaster at Sea was broken down into very easy to follow sections that covered generally basic information but always managed to put an interesting spin onto every section. There is a lot of information here for both Titanic junkies and those who are new to the story alike.

I loved the illustrations that came with this book. They were realistic enough to help to capture the feel of what was going on while being cartooney enough to minimize the bleak feeling that inevitably comes with The Titanic (that not everyone may want to share with their children). There were also helpful little information blocks dispersed within the full paragraphs as well in order to show both the larger picture as well as some of the more interesting tidbits that help capture the mystery.

I would absolutely recommend this book to both people looking to introduce their children to the story of the Titanic and those who are looking to add to their own Titanic book collection with something a little different.
Profile Image for Rose.
285 reviews2 followers
September 16, 2014
This book is fun to read, interactive, well researched, and very pleasing to the eye. There are tons of interesting details to read and learn about. Whether you're a kid learning about the Titanic for the first time or a grown-up interested in reliving the facts, this book is for you! :)
Profile Image for Donna.
1,166 reviews
January 22, 2012
Seeing as how this book is really just an illustrated run-down of events surrounding the Titanic, there isn't all that much to review but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

The illustrations were, of course, the highlight of the book as they were the most pervasive. Richly colored and detailed it was hard not to stare at the visuals more than the words. I wouldn't recommend reading it in its digital form, though. I couldn't manage to zoom in on my Digital Editions and while I could in my eReader Library, I had to read the captions first and then zoom out to see the images it was set against. Kind of annoying but I lived with it. TITANIC is a book best viewed in hand. That much is clear. There's something to be said for being able to hold something in your head and stare at it and not have a glaring back-lit screen staring back. In my opinion anyway.

The only thing that kind of irked me about this title was that it presented the imprisonment of the third class passengers below decks during the sinking as fact. While it may have made for good drama by Stephen Spielberg, the likelihood of it actually having happened is pretty slim. As seen in Tim Maltin's 101 THINGS YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT THE TITANIC . . . BUT DIDN'T! in the excerpted testimony from the crew no one was forcibly kept below decks during the sinking. Many opted not to come above and, of course, there was a language barrier with some. One must take into account, though, that the British did attempt to whitewash what happened and perjury isn't such a far-flung idea. But since there are accounts from others about helping the third class passengers into boats (although few, they still exist), it kind of debunks that myth. But again, it's still something that pulls at the heartstrings.

This would be an excellent picture book for any kid, from the cross section of the Titanic's floors to the drawings and photos littering the pages making the Titanic come alive again, it's a visual smorgasbord of Titanic awesomeness. Hell, you don't even need to be a kid to enjoy this one. Buy it for the illustrations alone. You don't even need to read most of the captions. The images tell their own story.
Profile Image for Mady Dailey.
15 reviews
Read
June 25, 2015
1. Time Voyage by Steve Brezenoff. 2012. Stone Arch Books.
2. I chose to include this chapter book because it's a story about two students who learn of what happened to the Titanic and then magically are able to teleport back in time to the actual time of the Titanic. Since the boys know what is going to happen to the Titanic, they try to tell passengers not to board because it will sink. I liked how this fiction story about two boys trying to save people tied into the nonfiction book of explaining what all went into building the Titanic, getting it ready, and riding on it.
3. Combination: Description, Established Sequence, Chronological Sequence, Compare/Contrast, and Cause and Effect
4. An activity that I would engage my students in would be a letter writing activity to convince a person to ride on the Titanic and another letter to convince the person not to ride on the Titanic. We would start by talking about the shit, how it was built and what was all included (activities you could participate in). I would then have the students write a persuasive letter to a friend, family member, etc. convincing them why they would be missing out if they missed the chance to travel on this ship. We would then discuss what happened to the Titanic, how did it sink and what did people do. Knowing these facts and the story line to Time Voyage, where the two boys are trying to convince people not to ride the Titanic, I would have my students write another persuasive letter to the same person they wrote before. In this letter, the student would be trying to convince the person not to ride the Titanic as if they know the future and the outcome of the Titanic like the two boys did.
Profile Image for Alex Boyle.
14 reviews
September 26, 2012
I decided to read this book because I saw it in the school library whilst seeking for something in the: 'A book with themes related to what we have studied in term three' category. And it fits perfectly, as we have been studying the epic-romance by James Cameron; Titanic.

This category was interesting because we had just studied the film (As mentioned before) and I was eager for some more facts. Who knows, it may help me later while studying it.

My favourite quote from this book is "Brittanic,"(sister ship of the Titanic) "was even bigger than the Titanic" as I felt that this quote was quite favourable for me because I did not know that. (Probably because all the fame is around the Titanic, even though Brittanic is larger)

Something new I learnt from this book was that there was a novel named 'Futility', published in 1898 and it is about a giant ship named 'Titan' that sunk by hitting an iceberg. It's very strange because it was written before the Titanic was made.

A person which interests me is Joseph Bruce Ismay as I think it is rather cool how he owned the White Star Line. Which made the Titanic, Olympic (sister ship) and Brittanic. Being in charge of three epic ships. Wow.

Overall I give this book a three out of five as it contained a file of facts, but there was nothing too special about it, so that's what brought the score down a bit.

Profile Image for Danielle Zuhlke.
13 reviews1 follower
Read
March 30, 2014
1.)I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived Series #1) by Lauren Tarshis (June 1, 2010).
2.)The twin-text is a story about a brother and sister who are sailing on the Titanic with their aunt. The story tells of their experiences on board the Titanic before the ship crashes, and how they survive. The author ties in true information about the Titanic through the boy’s experiences aboard the ship. The adventure story is a fun read, and demonstrates the events of that night through the eyes of a 10 year old boy. Titanic: Disaster at Sea goes into more factual information about the ship and how it sank, while taking a closer look at the entire story of the Titanic, from when it was first build until the day it sank.
3.)The text structure the author uses includes description and chronological/sequencing. The author describes the Titanic (ie. how it was built to be “unsinkable,” the different parts of the ship, how it sank, etc.). The author begins by discussing how the Carpathia picked up survivors, then goes back and starts with the ship being built, and tells the entire story chronologically up until the end when the ship sinks. The author includes a poster and diagrams to show the different parts of the ship.
4.)(March 30, 2012). This Kid Reviews Books. http://thiskidreviewsbooks.com/2012/0...
Profile Image for Patty.
19 reviews1 follower
January 8, 2012
This reviewer viewed this book in an e-reader format. I’ve read many books on the Titanic. Fiction, Non-Fiction, easy, hard. It is a subject that I’m immediately drawn to. This book written by Philip Wilkinson has many colorful illustrations. Within those colorful illustrations are small snippits of information throughout, much like a newspaper. This is the format I prefer when reading something historical. It has many photos of relics found from the shipwreck, small bio’s on many people on board, diagrams and charts. It is informative, visually pleasing and a fine book for the Titanic’s 100th Anniversary. There was even a snippit of information that I didn’t know from the other sources that I’ve read. And that was that 20 stewardesses (maids) on board wanted to stay and help the distressed passengers but the ship’s boss ordered them into lifeboats, 18 survived. A fine looking book, can’t wait to hold it in my hands.
Profile Image for Kellee Moye.
2,414 reviews428 followers
August 27, 2016
Titanic: Disaster at Sea reminds of a an Eyewitness book where all the information about the title can be found inside. And this book is all you need if you want to learn about the Titanic. It takes the reader from the building of the Titanic through the disaster all the way to the superliners of today.

This is a beautiful book and I cannot wait to own it. When published it will include a full diagram of the ship's interior that will fold out of the book, a pull out poster, and cutaway images on top of the detailed timeline that counts down to the sinking of the ship, rich and beautiful illustrations, and a plethora of information told through narratives, photos, illustrations, graphs, primary sources, maps, and diagrams.

**Thank you to Netgalley and Capstone for allowing me to view this e-galley**
5 reviews1 follower
December 21, 2012
I liked this book very much, because it tells me information that is about the titanic and the pictures in it were amazing. It's like telling me the events that are happening at the disaster of titanic. I would recommand this book to someone else because this is such an fantastic Informational text. Especially people that wants to learn about th history of titanic and is an lover of ships. My favorite part is when it tells that people has prediction for the terrible disaster some of them are from night mares, some of them are from sudden sense of danger......There were no characters in this story but it did introduce some of the important people that have something that are related to titanic. And all characters are belivable because this book is an informational text.
February 23, 2016
The book I read was Titanic Disaster at Sea. It is by Philip Wilkinson. The genre is nonfiction. The setting is at the docks and the ocean where the titanic sank. There were no main characters but they did mention Thomas Andrews, Joseph Bruce Ismary, Captain Edward John Smith, Charles Lightoller, and Margete "Molly" Brown. The book is an amazing story of how the titanic was built and what really happened and how the Titanic sank. It really makes you feel as if you were really there when it happened. I give this book a 5 stares because of the facts that it told and all the pictures to show you what it looked like.
Profile Image for Bree.
1,712 reviews7 followers
July 4, 2013
Notes:
this one is my son's third favorite titanic book after 'Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner' and 'Last Images'
Profile Image for Naomi.
4,679 reviews138 followers
August 3, 2015
Loaded down with tons of interesting tidbits of information, but the illustrations are what really did it for me. Aspects of them had a diorama feeling to them.
Profile Image for Kirsten.
203 reviews4 followers
January 14, 2012
Great information. People predicted Titanic would sink! Insane.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.