Start by marking “The Skating Pond” as Want to Read:
The Skating Pond

The Skating Pond

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In the summer, tourists come in droves to the pond in the tiny coastal town of Stonington, Maine, to see the early-morning lilies in bloom. But in the winter, the pond belongs to the locals-especially to a beautiful figure skater named Doreen Johnson, and to the boys who play hockey. It is at this pond that a tragedy occurs-a devastating accident that will thrust one teena ...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Berkley Trade (first published January 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Skating Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skating Pond

Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=)
More to reading, less to reviews.

LOL!

#Sorrynotsorry ^_^
Kristine Lopez
INAPPROPRIATE for KIDS not old enough to think like an adult. Really. The first few pages were okay but it became gruesome when the child's mother had the accident. and then, when the family fell apart and the child is all alone..... a fifteen year-old posing nude to be painted bu a man 30 years OLDER than she is and then two days later they had ***?! that is so like unbelievable. she is a KID and then he's a grown MAN with a wife! and it all started when she was jogging on the sidewalk and beca ...more
Carol Fillmore
Jul 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
This started okay but it progressively got weirder. To the point where I was wondering what is going on? Yes there are dysfunctional families where weird things happen on a regular basis but in this story, the author seems to have gone to the extreme. It's bizarre. It also does not seem plausible what went on and I ceased to care what happened to the sisters. Didn't feel anything for them or any of the other characters.
I did not finish this. It got too ridiculous. There are too many other good
Laura Bohnert
Jul 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is extremely easy to fall into, marring the crude sexual content which seems to be a little extreme at times causing me to question the shelf upon which I found the book.... Other than that, it is a unique story that haunts you for a few days with the representation of spirit and, in the end, broken spirit and the fragility of a person/ persona. It compares impulse to choice and reflects despairing consequences.
Alison
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-japan
I have to say that I was hooked, the whole accident and the future wreck ahead was captivating, but not necessarily in a good way. By the time I got to the end I was sick of the protagonist's stupidity and naivete, it was forgivable when she was younger, but three children and a marriage later and she still hasn't learned anything???
Jan
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Story of child whose mother is a beautiful, frustrated figure skater and the father is a distant painter. Tragedy is all over in the book. The story finally boils down to who one family rises above tragedy and one family sinks beneath the weight. I can't say I would recommend this book because there are just too many downers.
Carol Johnson
Beautifully written. I hope this author writes many more! A love story about addictive, devastating love and loyal, deep, nourishing love. Lots of different relationships....mother/child, husband/wife, daughter-in-law/mother-in-law.....sweet stories!
Angie
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beka , I think you might just like this one !
Shelves: fiction
Weird , in a weirdly wonderful way ! While the book is not for everyone , I appreciated the story's ability to remind how unforeseen events can shape an entire life . Corey's almost poetic writing style added to the story as well ;-)
Andrea
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting beginning about young girl whose mother is badly disfigured in a skating accident. As a teenager, the girl ends up in an abusive relationship with an older man, an artist who spends time in a isolated Maine studio.
Melody
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time finishing it coz it's a sad story to the core.
Katherine Gould
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written book.
Tarah Demerchant
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Found this book to be very melancholy. From the beginning to the end it was focused on the negative attributes of her life. Overall gave it a 3/5 because of this depressing feeling
Fishface
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This novel was not my usual cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it. Beautifully written.
Jamie Ekens
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Captivating book. But the ending is stupid. >.<
Sandy
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I finished it, but I didn't really care for the story. I couldn't root for the heroine, and the ending was confusing.
Kathy
Jul 11, 2016
Elisha (lishie)
rated it did not like it
May 20, 2007