Start by marking “Papagayo: The Mischief Maker” as Want to Read:
Papagayo: The Mischief Maker

Papagayo: The Mischief Maker

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The mischievous parrot Papagayo spends his days playing in the jungle and disturbing the sleeping night creatures with his raucous cries. But when the ferocious moon-dog begins to devour the moon, only Papagayo knows how to save it. The night creatures learn that he’s a good friend to have--even if he is a bit NOISY.
Published November 15th 1992 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Papagayo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papagayo

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Another enchanting book by Gerald McDermott, the art is beautiful and the story is simple yet exciting.
Paula
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is such a cute story and once again, the illustrations tell the story!! Wonderful!
Tracy
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great pictures. We have had to read this every morning and every night this week. Another favorite. Love the moon eater!
Amy Vogel
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ms-vogel-reads
I read this book to 4 classes of kindergarteners and first graders. All of them were spell-bound. The writing brings young readers inside the many emotions of the animals, and the expertly-crafted suspense easily holds kids' attention. In addition, the illustrations are absolutely chock full of color and uniquely done. Bold and intricate, the details hold the eye for the entirety of the story. Everyone knows Gerald McDermott's Arrow to the Sun: A Pueblo Indian Tale-- now try this lesser-known, b ...more
This story is about why the moon grows and shrinks in the sky, why animals make noise at night, and why the animals that sleep by day or ok with the noise of birds in the morning. This fun little story could help a teacher introduce the idea of nocturnal animals. It could also help introduce a lesson about the phases of the moon, explaining to the students that before we knew about the phases, cultures had their own ways of describing the phases of the moon.
Sarah Batchelder
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED the illustrations in this book. The inside flap says that this story is set in an Amazon rain forest, but the Great Ruined City looks Mayan to me. In any case, this story is about a parrot who first harasses and then helps the night creatures of the forest.
Michael
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun story of the can-we-solve-this-problem-in-a-clever-way-and-teach-a-moral variety. I like that noisiness was a strength, but Papagayo did not seem to learn to respect the other animals, just the other way around. Also, the two main characters are both male, as usual.
Andrea Campbell
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
I love the illustrations in this book!
Megan Knippenberg
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun story with engaging pictures.
Helen Jeffries
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, picture-book
A great book for teaching folktales. It has vivid illustrations to match the text. Kids of all ages will enjoy this book.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the author has a number of books that retell folk tales with bold illustrations and this is my fourth favorite
Mary
This story reads like a fable, although the book does not specify whether or not it is one. Papagayo makes mischief for his friends by making noise all day long, and his friends do not enjoy him making so much noise. The night creatures are trying to sleep, and Papagayo is keeping them awake. Soon, a problem reaches the night creatures during the nighttime, and Papagayo comes to the rescue. It is a beautifully illustrated story of friendship and teamwork.
Shannon
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
For parrot tales, I prefer The Parrot Tico Tango, myself. To read my full review and lesson plans, visit: http://mshoughtonsclass.wordpress.com... (link becomes active on March 28)
Rachel Dalton
Papagayo is a cute story about a parrot who at first is disliked by the other animals for his annoying habits until these habits help them fix a big problem. It seems to teach a lesson about teamwork and the value of being unique. While not one of my favorites, I think students will enjoy it.
Kristen Leininger
Picture Book: Amazing, vibrant illustrations. An interesting folk tale combining why the moon goes through phases and parrots make noise.
Virginia
Papagayo is another beautifully illustrated legend by Gerald McDermott. It is a great book for younger children, and a great read-aloud/ anchor text for students studying folktales and legends.
Ava
Stacy
May 24, 2010
Grant
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of Eleanor's favorite books. She loved squawking like Papagayo.
BrocheAroe
Jan 10, 2010
Claire Monahan
Dec 25, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Gerald McDermott is an award-winning children’s book illustrator and an expert on mythology. His work often combines bright colors and styles with ancient imagery.

He has created more than 25 books and animated films. His first book, Anansi the Spider, was awarded a Caldecott Honor, and he’s since won the Calde
More about Gerald McDermott