Start by marking “The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Life is cursed for the people of the village of Twee. The ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon haunts their every waking hour and they've had enough! But then one day, the brave and practical young Herbert Kettle has the most extraordinary idea . . .
Published October 3rd 2011 by Penguin

Librariasaurus
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great little Gothically illustrated book for children.
It also concludes my reading of Aaron Blabey picture books. I love his work and was glad fo finish on a book I loved.

Like all of Bkavey's best books for children, this one has a message. It helps children understand that its not the right thing to do to shun someone or be scared of them no matter how different they are.

The story does this by showing children how sad the ghost of Annabelle Spoon is when nobody will talk to her and
Sarah Mayor Cox
Gorgeous picture book for brave younger readers, or middle primary. Haunting naïve quality to Blabey's illustrations, paint layered on so that the texture comes through (eg. Cloud on the opening page). Blabey uses a muted palette of coloiurs, greens and greys, until the end when the problem is solved to great effect. The meter is very reassuring, it seems like it’s a scary story but really it’s not. Great dedication “For the place my shoes are buried”. Classic opening situation, problem and reso ...more
Shallowreader VaVeros
This was a gorgeous book to read. A ghost named Annabel Spoon haunts a town who wants to rid themselves of her. One voice dissents and believes that he can make her stop. With trepidation he find the sad, forlourn ghost and realise that she's just lonely so he befriends her. This is a book written in verse, full of humour and rather touchingly told. I highly recommend it. I ADORE the illustrations which capture emotions and nuanced expressions. Love it.
Cedar
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love the prose, I love the drawings, I love the thought put behind the story. Clever book that entertains my son immensely when I read it to him. As he is only four months its easy for him to track due to the dark colors, while the rhymes make the sounds fun, and the storyline makes the books entertaining for adults. Perfect.
Liz Murray
Told in limerick fashion this gothic picture book delights and, with a predictable ending, joy abides. A book to keep you smiling with illustrations to look at closely. A keeper for an elementary classroom.
Lyn Battersby
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be reviewing and rating this once the AAs are announced.

MsCrowshaw
5 stars
Nakia
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite book by Blabey so far.
Sharkcrow
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Written in verse with gorgeous illustrations, I've fallen in love with this picture book!
Phoebe
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It wasn't as good as it looked.
Victoria Hall
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous story about listening, understanding and acceptance.
Kimberley Mañago
Jul 27, 2018
Linda
Sep 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an