Start by marking “The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood” as Want to Read:
The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood

The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A MAN

Raising up men has never been easy, but today is seems particularly tough. The young and old need heroes to embody the eternal qualities of manhood: honor, duty, valor, and integrity. In The Book of Man, William J. Bennett points the way, offering a positive, encouraging, uplifting, realizable idea of manhood, redolent of history and human nature,
Published October 3rd 2011 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Man

Start your review of The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood
Ivan
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
In a recent op-ed on CNN.com entitled, “Why men are in trouble," William Bennett stated the current challenges among young men today. He writes,

“Today, 18-to- 34-year-old men spend more time playing video games a day than 12-to- 17-year-old boys. While women are graduating college and finding good jobs, too many men are not going to work, not getting married and not raising families. Women are beginning to take the place of men in man way. This has led some to ask: do we even need men?”

He ends
Charles
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
It is very one note. Be a good soldier. Be a good capitalist. Be a good servant of god. It feels hollow and not capable of approaching the fullness because it is joyful, vibrant and messy. If you don’t do complicated, this is the book for you.
Robert Stump
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Homo Homini Lupus

William Bennett's The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood carries the reader through six major aspects of Manhood: War, Work, Play, Community, Women & Children, and Prayer & Reflection. The work is structured around this topics with each having allocated to it a series of essay setup in Bennett's own words as "examples worthy of emulation, stories worth knowing, lives worth studying and remembering, and counsel worth hearing."
Wanda
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am fortunate to have a really good husband, but as the mother of two grown daughters I know how hard it is to find a good man. I don’t mean that there aren’t any—I have a wonderful son-in-law who makes me very proud. But I have noticed for some time now that boys in America seem to have a hard time growing up. Young men who should be mature and starting a family and career are still spending all of their time in adolescent pursuits and activities. They seem to have no interest in duty, family, ...more
Ann Saylor
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great Tool for Raising Men with Character and Purpose

If you liked William Bennett’s Book of Virtues, you are sure to like his newest book, The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood. This beautifully bound book has 500+ pages of inspiring and educational stories. He shares statistics on boyhood and manhood and culture that are staggering.

Bennett’s stories will educate, enlighten and inspire. He includes 250 poignant and crisp excerpts from speeches, biographies, poems, essays, articles and
Brenten Gilbert
There was a commercial on TV when I was younger featuring Charles Barkley and the tagline, “I am not a role model.” It was a rather groundbreaking and controversial message for the time – and imagine, it was an ad for sneakers – but what really came to light was a general abducation of responsibility for public figures. No longer did they have to try to be worthy of emulation or practice positive behavior. They weren’t role models anymore – at least, not all of them – but moreso, they weren’t ...more
Jaroslav Tuček
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A collection of classical stories, speeches and poems demonstrating what it means to be a man in all aspects of life - or at least that's the idea. While Bennett divides the book into sections dealing with separate areas of daily life - war, work, leisure, family, community and spirituality - the problem is that the book's picture of a heroic, manly role-model is very lopsided towards an ideal of military virtue. Most of the cited authors are great historical leaders - high ranking government ...more
Robert
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The reasons the author wrote this book give pause to the state of men and how we are raising our boys:

"For boys to become men they need to be guided through advice, habit, instruction, example, and correction.”

The other, simply put, is that men are no longer men the way they used to be - a sense of responsibility to their faith, families, politics, in play and leisure, work and jobs, and in war. One could easily attack and go on the offensive about how men have become lazy and irresponsible in
Ed
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bennett pulls from classic writings to promote good role models regarding men in various scenarios; in war, politics, with women and children, and with God. He crosses the board with respect to all these areas, having sections with writers of different faiths and political parties than his. For instance, despite his Republican background, he still includes JFK's Inaugural Address, "...ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.", emphasizing that ...more
Rhonda
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
The Book of Man is a collection of quotes, stories, writings, prayers, and advice from a WIDE variety of sources and time periods. It is a textbook, a keepsake, of guidance for the boy to become a man with integrity and honor. Written by famed William J Bennett.

It covers man in six areas:

War--human suffereing and endurance, bravery and courage

Work--hard, fruitful work with devotion

Play, Sports and Leisure--enjoying life responsibly

Polis (society)--serving to provide for common interests and
Brandon H.
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manhood, gender, reviewed
The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood by William J. Bennett, the radio talk show host and former Secretary of Education for President Ronald Reagan, is a substantial work on the subject of manhood. The breadth of references to stories and quotes of famous men of the past is impressive in this large offering.

This is a good resource for fathers to share with their sons and to even meditate on occasionally when wanting to cultivate their manhood and improve in the roles and
Charles Erlandson
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gives a Vision and Stories of How to be a Virtuous Man

A lot of us have figured out that there is a lack of male leadership in our culture these days. It’s easy to lament this fact but more difficult to do something about it. William Bennett, the compiler of the excellent Book of Virtues, has done something about the need for real men in our culture. He’s compiled a book, The Book of Man, that offers a great selection of short writings that act as a model for virtuous manhood.

Read my complete
Russ
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
True story: I worked for a writer and syndicated columnist a long time ago. William J. Bennett called the office and my roommate answered the call. Our boss was eating an ice cream cone at the time of the call. He had my friend tell Mr. Bennett that he'd return the call after finishing the ice cream. I couldn't relate then. After reading "The Book of Man," I can relate.

The book is a collection of anecdotes of men at work, war, play and prayer. It would probably work best in the library of a
Neal
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
William J Bennett is one of our outstanding citizens. He is a very successful radio talk show host but writes excellent books. Most of his writings are about character, values, being a patriot, and similar subjects. His most famous book is Book of Virtue - a wonder collection of stories of virtue and valor. Highly recommended for all to read. Especially for maturing young people including recent college graduates.
Mike
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book provided a collection of readings about various aspects of manhood. Bennett believes that much of what it used to mean to "be a man" has been lost in our modern society. And even worse, he believes that these things are not being passed on to the younger generation of men. This book is encouraging and inspirational for men. I highly recommend it.

See more.
John Jones
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best man books I've read, William J. Bennett gives insight on ancient times to moderate, giving clarity of what we forgotten, regenerating a moral code for ourselves, uplifting poems written by men, and contains many more things manly relevance. Want tell you what you should discover for yourselves but will say it's definitely a book worth buying to reflect.
Jas
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great set of writings from the history of thought divided into sections:

1. Man in War
2. Man at Work
3. Man in Play, Sports, and Leisure
4. Man in the Polis (state of society and community)
5. Man with Woman and Children
6. Man in Prayer and Reflection

Very thought provoking and super collection of thought and philosophy over the ages.

But, very long. Had to read it in between other books.
Paige Gordon
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book about what it really means to be a man. I highly recommend it to any man looking to better himself. It is also great because you will find so many stories of men that you want to read more about so it acts as springboard to point you to even more material to help improve your life. Again, HIGHLY recommended.
Colin
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I've been working on this one for a good long while, a collection of essays, quotations, biographies, and meditations on what it means to be a man, and specifically, a good man. Not bad, though a bit tedious at times, and with a pretty strong bias towards Christianity.
Cordell
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! This book is not a novel. Each chapter is a stand alone chapter many of them only one or two pages. I thought it was great. I went and bought a copy for each of my sons and for each of my daughters husbands.
Will Mcleod
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
This is a wonderful book about being a man, becoming a man and raising young boys to be men. This book covers 5 different areas of a man's life. It's full of great stories that encourage, inspire and make one think. William J. Bennett is a great author. Most of his books are great reads.
Ashley
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Not exactly meant for reading in one sitting, but it did have some great stories, essays, and poetry espousing an ideal of manhood that involves service, kindness, work, wholesome competition, and family.
Kathleen
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a more scholarly book than I anticipated. The message is a good one - good men are raised, they don't just happen. The last couple of chapters are a tribute to Bennett's father-in-law, which was incredibly sweet.
Ari Lapin
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of writings.
Danmcgohan
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disappointed. The readings did not seem to flow one to another naturally. The best section was Man In Prayer and Reflection. I do have to say that poetry is not my enjoyment.
Luke Heath
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An awe inspiring book. The conviction of these men are the pillars of our society. I couldn't put it down
Paul
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
While this book is ful of inspirational and useful material, it is a chore to read. Hundreds of snippets from great men are interesting, but there is no fel of a plot.
Tim Bird

• The Doctrine and Covenants Made Easier: Part 1: Sections 1-42
  • Trails to Testimony: Bringing Young Men to Christ Through Scouting
  • The Perfect Gift
  • The Boy Scouts Book Of Campfire Stories
  • Meaningful Work: A Quest to Do Great Business, Find Your Calling, and Feed Your Soul
  • The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
  • The Dash
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us
  • The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol. 1-2
  • Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man
William J. "Bill" Bennett is a politician and author who served in the Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, as chief of National Endowment for the Humanities and later Secretary of Education under Reagan, and Drug Czar under Bush. He is a nationally well-known figure of political and social conservatism and authored many books on politics, ethics, and international relations.
“John Stuart Mill, the British philosopher, said, “War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.” 3 likes
“I asked God for strength, that I might achieve; I was made weak, that I might learn to humbly obey. I asked for health, that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity, that I might do better things. I asked for riches, that I might be happy; I was given poverty, that I might be wise. I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men; I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life, that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing I asked for but everything I had hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am, among men, most richly blessed.” 0 likes