Start by marking “The Manicurist” as Want to Read:
The Manicurist

The Manicurist

3.03  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Tessa and Walter have, by all appearances, the perfect marriage. And they seem to be ideal parents for their somewhat rebellious teenage daughter, Regina. Without warning, however, their comfortable lives are thrown into turmoil when a disturbing customer comes into the salon where Tessa works as a manicurist. Suddenly, Tessa's world is turned upside down as revelations co ...more
Published (first published July 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Manicurist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manicurist

Dianne
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, womens-fiction
Just finished The Manicurist what an amazing story.I really wondered why it was getting 5 stars by so many people but as I kept reading and decided that it's not a fantasy or paranormal book at all I started having second thoughts. Phyllis Schieber has done a outstanding job on what it is like to live with or know someone who is bipolar. From the rollarcoaster rides, to them not wanting to take the medication to them taking it and feeling better so they think that they don't need it anymore, to ...more
Arielle
Sep 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had so much potential! However, none of what I thought could have been a great story transpired. Instead, it was a long, drawn-out process of Tessa giving herself grief over nothing, trying to second guess herself, and letting the choices of others influence her direction. To me, she could have been a great character, and she turned into a mousey one. She said she didn't like her "gift" and didn't like using it....yet she is a manicurist? What kind of hogwash is that? What a shame this ...more
Judy
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I thought that the plot was sort of strange (implausible?). I liked some of the peripheral characters better than the "heroine." The many typos interrupted a free flow of reading. I do not know if publishers have stopped hiring proofreaders but this book needed one.

Leigh
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had a bit too much of the implied supernatural for my taste. Palmistry and things like that. It was interesting to see the relationships develop throughout the book, especially related to the mother's mental illness. I just didn't like the tone of the book for some reason.
Deborah
Occasionally, a book comes across my apple green leather reclining chair that merits a beautiful, professionally tempered cover and a hard back that will draw in lots of readers swayed by that glitz. I'm one of those who buy by cover art, so I know the pull it has. "The Manicurist" would be on the best seller list today, and in every one of your hands if it had a cover like "The Lantern." It is a quality novel with a fantastic story!

Phyllis Schieber isn't your typical author in her 20-30's with
Heavensent1
The Manicurist is a Literary Fiction novel.

On the night that Tessa's parents died in a horrific car crash, her life became a puzzle of thoughts and emotions. There are many unanswered questions surrounding her parents death, like whatever happened to the body of her mother, Ursula.

As Tessa ages, her life is filled with longing, indecision and soul-searching. She chants mantras to push herself foward, a trait taught to her by her mother as well, she reads palms. Her job as a manicurist gives her
Marcia
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-fiction
I really wanted to love this book. Really. Phyllis Schieber’s short story in The Firefly Dance touched me, and I immediately downloaded The Manicurist in order to enjoy more of her work. The sad part is, I didn’t actually enjoy the book at all. It is a very dark, disturbing, and yet somehow rather boring, account of a wife and mother struggling to overcome (or at least make sense of) her past. As the child of a woman with severe bi-polar disorder, she was often caught up in a role reversal situa ...more
Lindsay (Everyday Is An Adventure)
I am thrilled to share with you a review from a book I recently featured in a blog tour. While that was just a spotlight, this is where I can show you how the novel really shined! The Manicurist by Phyllis Schieber really is a unique book and one that I highly recommend to add to your "to be read" list.

My Thoughts:

First of all, check out that cover! Upon receipt of this book that was the first thing I noticed...it is striking!

There were a number of things that struck me about this book, one bein
Kathleen Kelly
The Manicurist by Phyllis Schieber tells the story of Tessa and her mother Ursula and how the both come to terms with mental illness. It also tells the side story about her husband Walter and his family. A very poignant and endearing story of two women who are the same but oh so different. The story is told in the viewpoint of Tessa. As a result of a surprise visit to the salon she works as a manicurist, of an elderly woman, Fran, who tells Tessa that she knows something about her mother. Told w ...more
Cheryl
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
Nicely drawn characters and an intimate portrait of a dysfunctional family, with a daughter nurturing the mother and wondering, after her parents die when she's young, if she wished for her mother's death.

Turns out maybe her mother didn't die. Maybe she learned to cope on her own. Maybe she disappeared so her daughter could live a normal life...whatever normal means.

Some paranormal/magic realism involved when the heroine reads characters through the hands she manicures, but overall a nice read.
Karen
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good enough book, which dealt with the effects of mental illness on a family. However, I did not "connect" with any of the characters, and their relationships and conversations often felt contrived.
Maureen
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable, sweet book. It wasn't exactly the story I was expecting but I found it to be a good story of what it must be like to grow up with a mother suffering from mental illness. Very thought-provoking.
Michelle Ogden
I actually struggled with the rating on this book... almost went with 4 stars but I didn't care for the ending. It might have been a realistic ending but I didn't find it too emotionatlly satisfying. I really enjoyed the writing though... not a light read.
Donna
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fortune-tellers and Palm-readers!
Recommended to Donna by: Found in a short story collection, The Firefly Dance
Great read for those of us into fortune telling, metaphysics, palm-reading! Magical with a family-drama edge, investigating husband-wife; mother-daughter; new-found relative relationships. Kept me engaged! (New author for me—“met” in the short story collection, THE FIREFLY DANCE.)
Amanda
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from Amazon for free since I am a Prime member. It is actually quite different from what I thought it would be. I thought there would be a strong supernatural/ mystical element, but it was a very real story with believable characters and believable interactions/dialogue.
E.J.
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it very much. As a daughter and a mom, I was very touched by the story and even cried in the end. (Not many books make me cry by the way). Very good reading!
Oh one more thing. I don't think this book is paranormal/fantasy at all.
Karine
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book.
Judith Teggelaar
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book -- worth reading. It deals with a daughter and her mother who has a mental illness. The ending is satisfying.
Heather
I'm not really sure what to say about this book. Nothing much happens and yet I couldn't stop reading it. So it did something right!
Maryellen
This was a book about a woman who could see the future.
Jeanne
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Great writing, great characters & could make a wonderful movie. Enjoyed the topic & even the background.
A good read!

Merged review:

Great writing & characters. Loved it!
Carrie
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different read. A readable story that is a little different. All about family and how our past impacts our grown up self.
Maike
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a little boring!
Jean
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
did not finish
Stephanie
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Not quite 4 stars but almost. A story about mental illness but not so much. Ending left me asking for more.
Galina
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neh... Its fine, but I'm just so over witches and vampires.
KW
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish - not for me.
Kim
Dec 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dumb, dumb, dumb. :P No character growth, no action - everyone ended up in almost exactly the same place they started. Very disappointing.
Cathy Hill
Mar 01, 2015
Jordan Stephens
Aug 04, 2017
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • The River of Forgetting: A Memoir of Healing from Sexual Abuse
  • Veronica's Nap
  • There Is No Hope Here
  • Praise Jerusalem!
  • Shame the Devil
  • Out of Breath  (The Lithia Trilogy, #1)
  • From Within
  • The Killing Storm (Sarah Armstrong, #3)
  • Falling Skies