Start by marking “Not Easily Broken” as Want to Read:
Not Easily Broken

Not Easily Broken

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  718 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Bishop T. D. Jakes tells a powerful story of destruction and restoration. Through Dave and Clarice Johnson, he offers insight into the issues many relationships face. Dave and Clarice Johnson are a professional couple who think they are realizing the American dream until their lives come to a screeching halt after a car accident. Their marriage is tested as the aftermath b ...more
Published October 11th 2006 by FaithWords

May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book centers around a couple who are married and begin their life as a fairy tale. They have dreams and hopes for a future that would create a lifestyle built on hard work and sacrafice.

One thing was missing in this marriage. They were given vows to take by their minister to have three connections to their marriage. They needed to commit to each other making two and the third commitment would be to God. These three strands would hold their life together during the tough times.

The tough ti
Kimberly Hicks
OMG I couldn't put this book down, and I personally do not know what is wrong with people why the movie wasn't well received because it was a great book, and I loved the movie as well. I tell ya, if you ever want to know how strong of a person you are, especially in a marriage, this story will touch those bases.

What this couple goes through is something else. And it is very easy to be broken with what they have to face, but in true T.D. Jakes style, you will not be disappointed. Plenty of stuff
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
The overall idea was a good one, however I prefer not to be hit over the head with the "moral message". The prose were a bit too conversational for my taste. One of the few times that I'll say the movie was better than the book.
Jul 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: love
If I could give this 0 starts I would. This is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. The writing was terrible, the plot more than predictable and the characters unremarkable. So boring, I quite half way through. Save yourself time and boredom, don't pick this one up!
Barbara Young
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was glad that Dave and Clarice decided to work together and seek help in there marriage .
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I actually watched the movie based on this book before I read the book. I first started to read the book, and felt disheartened that it was a book about a couple arguing. Watching the movie, I realized it had some redeeming qualities, so I began the book again.

The movie, and the book, illustrates well what can happen in relationships when individuals 'buy-in' to the roles promoted by society - or others, without considering why it is we love those we love and made the life choices that we did.

Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
T.D. Jakes is a man who knows his audience and writes directly and unapologetically for them. His latest book, Not Easily Broken is a novel sure to appeal to Promise Keepers, Dobson devotees, and evangelical Christians everywhere.

Would that more books written for that audience could be done with the skill and sensitivity that T.D. Jakes shows.

Not Easily Broken is the story of a marriage. When the book opens, the marriage is 15 years old and Clarisse and Dave aren’t exactly in a cozy, comfortab
3Brittany C
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
T.D. Jakes challenges his readers in this novel to step into hope and activate faith. This book is directed toward those seeking to marry or those who are already joined. Not many writers speak out on how to keep a marriage together under extreme circumstances. Here we see the writer create everyday characters and play them in everyday roles. David is a man of romance, he wants the best for his wife, and he desires to have children. On the other hand, his wife Clarice, is the exact opposite of h ...more
Katrina Burchett
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Dave and Clarice Johnson: married fifteen years and it takes a car accident to bring unexplored problems in their relationship to the surface. Clarice's "I can take care of myself" mentality causes more of a gap between her and Dave than was already there before the accident, and Clarice's mother, who is obviously a bitter woman holding onto past hurts, doesn't help the situation. And then there's Clarice's physical therapist, Julie. She likes Dave for who he is, and when they're together he fee ...more
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read the book first, before going to see the movie. However, it happened the other way around. I was disappointed with this book for many reasons since I saw the movie first. T.D. Jakes took many characters and plots out, not sure why, such as Todd was not mentioned in the movie, who was Julie's husband (white girl, therapist for Clarice, Dave's wife). There was no ending of Clarice telling Dave she was pregnant while he was cleaning off the field like in the movie, instead the book ...more
Vondella R.
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oddly enough, I saw the movie BEFORE I read the book, something I rarely do and I love them both (even more rare)! Jakes weaves a very pogiant tale of a couple who are greatly struggling in their marriage and almost lose it all. He deftly weaves in another side story of a single-mother and her son (yep, I am so not giving specifics so you'll read it)and the characters collide in unexpected ways. Jake is a preacher so there is a strong Christian message here about covenants with God and covenants ...more
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
At the Heart,
Dave and Clarice Johnson have been married for twelve years. In that time they have drifted apart, but they share the same house and same bed. Yet their dreams and goals are so different.

While Dave is happy coaching the little league team and owning his own business, Clarice is a no-nonsense type of person. Everything is so cut and dry with her. As a real estate agent, Clarice is making lots of money. She is all about show, whereas Dave is just a regular Joe.

Their lives sway 100%
Oru Solomon
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!

I love the narration, it is simple and void of sex scenes. It touches on issues affecting marriages and I must say T.D Jakes knows is onions; his calling is a gift to humanity and I pray the Good Lord, Keep him healthy for more exploit against the devil.

Personally, He is my mentor. I love his messages; they are down to earth; they are issues that are real and not abstract as some preachers do. Faith deals with the known to the unknown. This life threatening phenomenaom calle
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was disappointing for sure. Unfortunately, Bishop Jakes is not a great fiction writer. The story was fine, but the follow-through was only fair. His writing of women is completely unrealistic. Maybe I just haven't been around people who talk the way that he wrote people talking, but there were just a few too many "That's whack", "Dawg" "Awright" "For real" for my taste. And he wrote with way too many metaphors, most of which didn't even make sense to me. Plus, without spoiling it, the ...more
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Saw the movie, then tried to read the book. I could not get past the first page. I am not sure what the problem was, but I opened to the middle and read through to the end. Then I went back to the beginning and read to the middle. I enjoyed the book. It followed the movie fairly closely, the book had some more details and background that I missed in the movie. I was able to get to know the characters a bit better in the book.
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nyea by: my mom
This book is not your regular black love relationship, in actuality this book is very inspirational for couples or in general going through hard times. IT inspires people that you can indeed get through hard times, I can't wait to be finished with the book!!

This book was very inspirational and good.
Tracee Tatum
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It was about a married couple and the endure a car accident and the husband begins to fall for the wife's physical therapist, but the strength in their marriage and relationship with God, they manage to whether the storm and confront issues that neither wanted to face or deal with.
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie review and noticed the movie was based on a novel. The story line looked interesting so I decided to get the book! I am SO glad I did too! It was a great story of everyday life's trials and how you handle them! Of course it did mix a little of religion in it but it wasn't much! This book is going to make a great movie, and I highly recommend this book!
Cheryl Gainer-Seay
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent read. I recommend this for most strong African American women trying to balance a career and marriage. This was an eye opener of how you have to be well balanced. Although you're dealing with everyday stressor you have to remain compassionate, or you may loose what you have.
I was house-sitting one afternoon and sat down with this book. It was a nice, quick read, and better than I expected. I did not know that TD Jakes was writing fiction now. I wouldn't call it literature, but it was decent fiction and I enjoyed it. I will probably read the next book he wrote with some of the same characters in it-Covergirls
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Our book club is currently reading this and will discuss it in Feb. We selected this title not only because of the movie but also the dynamic relationship between husband and wife which is truly tested. T.D. Jakes is an inspirational writer who uses Bible teachings to support his characters decisions.
Trish Boese
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction
4* This was an inspiring book by T. D. Jakes. I enjoyed the southern language and the well written subject matter. David and Clarice had a good marriage but the flame has cooled. They want to save their marriage but how? The characters have my sympathy and I felt like I learned lessons along with them.
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
I learned from this book that T.D. Jakes is NOT a novelist. He does, however, try hard...which I think is why I didn't like it so much. He uses so many analogies that I actually checked to make sure I was reading the right book and not a "how not to write" book.

However, the story is a good, solid one and I'm looking forward to the movie.
Sandra Menefee
Nov 08, 2010 rated it liked it
A fiction, novel by T.D. Jakes. Good reading. T.D. always has purpose for his works. This novel is based on Ecclesiates 4:8-12
Wonderful message although getting into the book was a little trying since Mr. Jakes is so eloquent with his words that sometimes it is hard to follow. Once that hurdle was jumped, easy and very interesting reading.
Amy Taylor
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it
The book is better than the movie. I was a little disappointed in the ending of the book, I would have rather it end like the movie did.
It really helps one to sit back and look at the part one plays in relationship troubles and how to handles them when you want to do right but have the pressure of the flesh.
This is a book about a married couple that has basically lost their passion. The story moves extremely slow until the middle, but it's not enough to keep the book from being on the boring side. No disrespect to the Bishop, but the writing just fell flat for me.
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very well-written book; a balanced yet passionate look into a marriage relationship, albeit a fictional one. However, it's probably based on a conglomeration of real-life relationships since the author is a pastor and counsels people.
  • Redemption
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • Joy
  • Borrow Trouble
  • You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • If I Could
  • Speak to My Heart (Spirit and Soul #1)
  • Nothing But Drama (Good Girlz, #1)
  • Do You Take This Woman?
  • Mama Dearest
  • Redeeming Waters
  • Bling
  • Can't Get Enough
  • The Last Woman Standing
  • What Kind of Fool
  • Here and Now
  • Blessings
Bishop T.D. Jakes is the author of the bestsellers God's Leading Lady; The Lady, Her Lover and Her Lord; Maximize the Moment; The Great Investment; His Lady; Woman, Thou art Loosed (the film of which won the Best Film Award at the Santa Barbara Film Festival) and He-Motions. His daily morning show The Potter's Touch and weekly broadcast The Potter's House air on Trinity Broadcasting Network and Bl ...more
More about T.D. Jakes...

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Fountain Overflows (The Saga of the Century Book 1)
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99