Start by marking “Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life

Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,568 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
If you think that you have to escape to a cave in the Himalayas to find the enlightenment that yoga promises, think again. In Living Your Yoga, Judith Lasater stretches the meaning of yoga beyond its familiar poses and breathing techniques to include the events of daily life—all of them—as practice. Using the time-honored wisdom of the Yoga Sutra and the Bhagavad Gita to s
Published February 10th 2005 by Rodmell Press (first published October 1st 1999)

Melissa
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this book slowly over several months. I think it allowed me to enjoy it even more. It is a lovely book that really helped me see how to bring my yoga practice to the rest of my life. But even non-yogi's can benefit from it. Some yoga philosophy, practical exercises and tips for everyday life. Truly a gem.

"Love in its purest sense is not based upon what you get from the relationship, but on what the relationship allows you to give. The depth of your love is not reflected in wha
Amey
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books on yoga ever. A wonderful reference in particular... Each accessible chapter introduces a concept from yogic philosophy in a way that is direct & easy to relate to... I always seem to benefit from re-reading it.
Elizabeth A
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
I have struggled with yoga. Sometimes I practice regularly, other times I fall off the wagon and cannot seem to get back on. Decided to get back on in May, and found this book to read to supplement my practice. I really liked it - it is not preachy and gave me lots to think about.
Barbara Storey
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simple, moving advice on how to fully enter into a daily practice of yoga. As much of a meditation as it is a guide.
Natalie Dunbar
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a yoga teacher in training, and I received this book as a gift from the yogi who will be teaching me. I know that quieting the breath, meditating and such are all important parts of the practice, but the truth is, the older I get, the more impatient I am when reading non-fiction books.

To my surprise, once I started reading Lasater's "Living Your Yoga," I couldn't put it down. I'd find myself flowing through a chapter or two at a time on the train on the way to work, smiling, sometimes near
Deidre
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Quick and dirty but profound and applicable at the same time. If you practice yoga and want to take the lessons you find on the mat and work with them in your life, this book gives you tools and food for thought.
Carolin
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
I did like the chapters on fear and impermanence. Others were not relevant, maybe one day those will have more meaning.
There were a lot of references to her children and how amazing they are, sometimes in unrelated anecdotes to the chapter, which became a bit strenuous after a while.
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I prefer yoga over yoga books though this one had gems.
Nancie
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I return to this book almost daily, for inspiration and guidance.
Latasha
I won't lie and say that this book was mind blowing. But I will say that it was one of the best books I've read that unintentionally targeted my anxiety. I really enjoyed the mantras at the end of each chapter and the general approach to different aspects of life. Some of it didn't apply and the Baghavita (sp?) passages were a bit like reading the Bible - not my jam. Overall solid book for a new yogi.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick reflective chapters, helped remind me about me post-kid
Kristy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, anyone interested in any kind of spiritual life should read it!
Kayla
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
One of the better books on yoga philosophy I've read, to date. Certainly a book I will return to!
Rebecca
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very applicable. Thought provoking. I read and reread. So much of this spoke to me. I taught me how to take the lessons I learn on my mat and take them off my mat in apply them to my whole day.
gloria
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do at least on exercise

Love this book. So very helpful when we forget our yoga and our spiritual life connection. Her exercises are brilliant
Bernie Gourley
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
If you're the average joe, you probably think of yoga as a series of stretchy postures--many or most of which seem physically impossible for a run-of-the-mill human. If you’re a little more sophisticated on the subject--perhaps you've even done a few yoga classes--you realize that breathing exercises (pranayama) and meditation (dhyana) are also an essential part of the practice. However, if you're hardcore, you realize that there is an entire moral, ethical, spiritual, and philosophical approach ...more
Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies

To all the yogi's out there (or people looking for a little wisdom) this is a very digestible book to have on hand. Judith Lasater is a well known teacher and writer and has offered great advice on how to be the best person you can be. I of all people know how flawed people can be and although I don't embrace my "less thans" I acknowlege that I am human and am capable of having bad days.

Judith has broken down the book into basic parts reflecting on the sage Patanjali and also the great yoga tex
Liz Filippone
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I've really given a book 5 stars, but I had to with this one because it was transformational in so many profound ways. As a yoga practitioner and teacher, I could relate to many of the situations the author was writing about, which corresponded to the Yoga Sutras (A yoga philosophy written by the Sage, Patanjali thousands of years ago). There is a part in the book that hit home for me, which was in the chapter about Patience. I was actually in an experienceof my way of patience whi ...more
Abby
Feb 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Brief Summary:

Lasater breaks down the Sutras and the practice of yoga, giving real life examples of how what you learn on your mat is applicable to life off the mat. Essentially, Living Your Yoga is How Yoga Works "Lite".

Why I picked this up:
Recommended to be my Amber, I was excited to read this at first. But most of it was repetition of what I'd read in other books. It's all nicely condensed, but some of the examples were awkward and could have used further explanation as to their relevance in
Bethany
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It is something I will re-read again. There are so many great life-lessons in it and I felt wonderful reading it. I enjoyed how Lasater quoted from different religious texts, using them all as inspiration. The only thing I struggled with was the translations from sanskrit...the English version never really made much sense until Lasater interpreted it...

I would recommend this book to anyone looking to "find the spiritual in everyday life!" However, I think to enjoy this book th
Reader50
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Judith Lasater, yoga instructor, physical therapist and contributing writer for many yoga publications, discusses the application of yoga wisdom to everyday life often using her personal experiences to guide the reader. I found her examples of the yoga principles discussed much more meaningful than the quotes she had taken from classical yoga teachings which I honestly did not understand. Lasater includes practical exercises to help the reader learn how to apply these principles in his/her own l ...more
Kim
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirtuality
Like Lasater's A Year of Living Your Yoga, this book had some chapters that weren't meaningful to me and others that really struck a chord. A few mantra gems have stayed with me, and helped me to ease out of difficult situations or moods. I read Living Your Yoga on and off between books over a four month period, which I guess means that I didn't find it super engaging. I think if I'd read it during a period where I was really into a consistent daily/weekly yoga practice, and I hadn't already rea ...more
Michelle
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
This is a truly wonderful book. When I was reading it, I would read a chapter a day, allowing time for each chapter's theme to sink in, which allowed me to see how that chapter/theme was reflected in my life.

Although I read it as a library book, I do plan to buy it, and have since collected other Judith Lasater books.

Since reading this book, I have learned that she was one of the early editors of Yoga Journal, before it became what it is today, which is highly commercial.

This is a wonderful b
Kimz Zahour
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
I read a short excerpt from Judith Lasater speaking during a Yoga Journal Convention over a year ago and one line really struck me as funny; she said, "Oh my God the bananas are ripe!” I couldn't tell you any more about that article or the topic, except to say her easy, down-to-earth style and sense of humor had me searching for anything she may have written. This book was quite a find... It's honest and personal, intelligent and humorous with some real wisdom about the eight-limb path of Yoga.
Amanda Rafuse
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lifestyle
Judith Lasater is an inspiration. I've been told, when you seek a teacher, they will appear, and I think she is mine -- it seems like every time I read something that really strikes a chord with me, it has been her words. This book epitomizes that -- full of common sense wisdom and practical techniques for bringing yoga off the mat and into your life. Loved this book enough to structure a class around it! so now I just need to meet her instead of just reading her wonderful books!
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book took yoga and life experiences and broke them into categories that were discussed with examples, yoga postures and mental exercises.
Awakening Awareness, Widening the Circle, and Embracing Life were the categories with chapters dealing with trials of life and yoga philosophy and postures.
The chapters ended with yoga postures and thought provoking questions.
Great book to slow your life and brain down and take a look at life, stress and how you deal with both
Carol
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
I rated this book extremely high for a reason, it is so good. I recommend it for readers who are not even interested in yoga because of the life lessons she writes about. My favorite chapter was on "contentment".
Of course I did not agree with everything that she espoused but I kept wanting to underline sentences in the book but could not because it is a library book. I will order it from a bookseller and re-read and underline, it's easy to pick up but hard to put down.
Carrie Ridgeway
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is divided into three sections: 1) Awakening Awareness: Yoga Within Yourself; 2) Widening the Circle: Yoga and Relationships; and 3) Embracing All Life: Yoga in the World.

This book was thought-provoking. I read it fairly slowly; I can see re-reading again. The real-life illustrations and examples for applying Yoga to living our lives with young children were at times hard for me to identify with.
Philippa St
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Kim Kash
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Each chapter begins with a quote from the Yoga Sutras or Baghavad Gita, then drops right down into the nuts and bolts of modern life, beautifully linking the idealism of yoga with the realities of playground politics, the fear of public speaking, competitiveness in yoga class, and the like. Each chapter ends with specific practice suggestions, some yoga-related and others not. It's a sweet, practical book to keep and re-read.
Yoga Folks: Living Your Yoga part one--first 4 chapters 21 42 Nov 13, 2011 09:27AM
Yoga Folks: Living Your Yoga is our November book club read 23 38 Nov 05, 2011 10:52AM
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Insight Yoga
  • Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice

“For something to be funny, it has to have an element of truth: lies are not funny. So” 1 likes