Start by marking “Captain Duck” as Want to Read:
Captain Duck

Captain Duck

Goat thinks his boat is safely moored.

He doesn't see Duck jump on board.

Soon Sheep and Frog are all at sea

with their map and thermos of tea.

Who knows what dangers are afloat

when Duck is captain of the boat?
Published June 2nd 2003 by HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (first published September 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Duck

Jamie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think Jez Alborough is one of my favorite kids authors. I like his rhymes and the pictures are good too. This story is about a duck who runs out of gas. He goes to ask to borrow some from his friend, but when his friend isn't there he just takes it without asking. Then he gets distracted and joins some friends on a boat ride. Little did he know that his friend had gone to get more gas for the boat but couldn't find it in time because duck had taken it. After an adventure with Duck "in charge o ...more
Shannon
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
The story was fun and kids should get a laugh out of Duck's antics, as well as learn a lesson about taking what's not yours and getting yourself into trouble. The words had a nice rhythem that would make this a good candidate for read-aloud. However, the way the text was broken up under the picture panels might be confusing for a child trying to learn to read or even just working on print awareness.
Gemma
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A duck invades the plans of a goat, sheep and frog to travel on their boat. Duck declares himself captain of the boat and the animals encounter many adventures along the way. I really enjoyed this book and can see how it can be used in many different ways. It can be used to discuss rhyme, awareness of actions and feelings. While for earlier years the illustrations alone open up opportunities for talk to take place.
Kathy
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Duck steals Goats boat and it runs out of gas. Cute pictures.
Cws
May 20, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Alb
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, kidlit
Following up on "Duck in a Truck", the same characters are in another spot of trouble, this time in a boat. The rhyme is heavy-handed and monotonous.
Naomi
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably my least favorite of the Jez Alborough books I have done to date. This one just had a dime a dozen feeling to the storyline, but the illustrations really captured my interest.
Alyssa
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
too young but good
Nicki
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very funny story about a duck who thinks he's a DIY expert in a boat this time.
Kim Schneider
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2013
Goat's friends go on a raucous boat ride instigated by silly Duck. Rhyming text and big colorful illustrations will surely appeal to young children.
Maya
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun, engaging rhyme on several levels...good for mixed-age groups/siblings
Karen
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
The text is so-so, but the illustrations are out-and-out fabulous. Unfortunately, I like my books to have strong text as well as fabulous illustrations.
Tracy
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In which Duck gets his comeuppance.
Kelly
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I love when my girls pick out this book for me to read to them. Engaging, fun rhyme, and I adore the artwork, especially the page where the friends have to huddle up and spend the night in the boat.
Yuna K
Jun 16, 2012
Elisa
Apr 22, 2012
Dan
rated it did not like it
Aug 20, 2014
May 12, 2012
Lady
May 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jez is the author and illustrator of 48 books for children. In 2018 he published The Story of 'You' his first book for adults, the first in a series called Life Beyond Personality. He says: "We enter this world as pure Oneness, (what I call our ‘original state of Being’) but we lose this as we become identified with our Personality. In that identification, the Stillness and Love of our Original St ...more