Start by marking “The Murder Of Tutankhamen: A 3000 Year Old Murder Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Murder Of Tutankhamen: A 3000 Year Old Murder Mystery

The Murder Of Tutankhamen: A 3000 Year Old Murder Mystery

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  628 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Tutankhamen conjurs all the fascination that people have with Egypt. Ironically very little is known about the boy king.He was born in one of the most traumatictimes in Egypts 3000 year history. The nations religion was changed to montheism, as was the nations capital city. Leading egypotologist Bob Brier brings to life the dramatic story of Tutankhamen , the " boy king " ...more
Published 2003 by Phoenix (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder Of Tutankhamen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder Of Tutankhamen

Rachel
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egyptology
So this is a really cool, interesting book. However, it is outdated. New research has evidence to prove that Tutankhamen was not murdered. However, it goes into great detail about his life, his wife's story-which is really interesting. So I would recommend this book for the knowledge you gain concerning his life-Just ignore the stuff about his death. :)
Chris
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, those silly anicents, leaving great treasures buried but forgetting to mark the X on the map. Poor Tut, he should've copyrighted his own death, considering how many people seem to make money off of it. Or maybe Egypt should've.

I must have seen the documentary that Brier did that inspired his book. I know I have seen his other specials. His like Simon Schmna, interesting to listen to but something about those mannerisms.

Brier's book is quite easy to read, and while he writes for an non-Egypt
The Badger
I read this ages ago, imagining a strong, virile king cut down in his prime. However, over 20 years later, we now know that the young king had serious physical deformities, suffered from malaria, and was inbred. He would have walked using a cane due to a club foot. Even the theory that Tut was murdered is now in question.

This is a good reference to read regarding the recent CAT scan and DNA analysis:
Kristin Clifford
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few books about Tut, the rockstar of Egyptology. This was one of the better ones - it looks at his death from the point of forensics and makes an interesting case for murder. Better still, the books gives a great, interesting and detailed overview of the events in Egypt thousands of years before and well after Tut's death, including a good chunk on the Amarna period.
John
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1history, box5
Although his theories have been disproved in the past two years - the book is a great read and his material on the 18th dynasty is great.
Barbara
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archaeology
Nicely written but the title is wrong. Less then 15 % actually is about the murder and who could have done it. The rest is about his life and his ancestors.
Michael Joosten
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The populist draw to read this book is the salacious idea of Tutankhamen's murder and Brier capitalizes on it, but even where science may have since invalidated his theory (an outcome he considered possible and prepares the reader to consider), his book remains eminently readable because it is also engagingly-written and a concise history of both Ancient Egypt through the dawn of the 20th Dynasty and of Egyptology through Howard Carter. Brier is able to open up for the lay reader a wealth of inf ...more
Nikki
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Flicked through this again, in the same vein as I flicked through the Christiane Desroches-Noblecourt book yesterday. Reread bits of it. I believe the actual theory is discounted now, due to more high-tech scans, but it's still interesting, because it doesn't solely seek to pose the theory that Tutankhamen was murdered -- there's a lot about his life, too, and that of Akhenaten (now confirmed to be his father, I believe?).

Very exciting stuff for me, when I was younger, and still interesting when
Kristen Darienzo
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-egypt
"The characters live and breathe; you feel you know them."

So even though this book is from the late 90s and information in here might be outdated (and might continue to become more outdated as time goes on), it is still such an interesting read. It delves a lot into King Tut's relationship with his sister-wife (a lot of which I didn't know, because much of the focus on him in school when I was young was simply about Carter and the discovery of his tomb). Even the science behind his potential mur
Kelli Sprowls
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Firstly I will state that I received a copy of this book from the goodreads giveaways.That being said, this book was more than I was expecting when I entered the giveaway. The author explains in the introduction to the book that he was just presenting a theory which would explain what had happened to Tutankhamen and his young wife based upon his investigations. As someone who has seen some specials on Egyptology and read a few books, but who had no real knowledge of the progression of the pharao ...more
Nick
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I'll be honest; I almost completely forgot I even had this book. I think I bought it at Borders, so that should tell you how long I've had it. But I went to see the King Tut exhibit this weekend, so this was the perfect book to bring.

I was expecting a dry, dull book, because sadly, a lot of non-fiction (especially historical) tend to be that way. This book was not dry at all! It was actually very engaging!

Brier has a great writing style and voice. He made a few comments that were incredibly
Melanie Winter
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacquie
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book; it remains one of the best I've come across about ancient Egypt in general and the alleged 'murder' of King Tutankhamen in particular. To me he builds the most convincing case I've ever seen for 'murder' not so much with the limited--not to mention passionately disputed and constantly reinterpreted--physical evidence but by examining the social record of the people who surrounded and succeeded the boy king. The section about Amarna was facinating and really well resea ...more
Victoria Jackson
I didn't like early on the US spelling and references to Las Vegas etc, but it improved. He should really have discussed more the blow to the head and why it couldn't have been an accident. Also Brier believes Akhenaten actually looked as he's portrayed in the strange pot belly and thick lipped statues but his argument is tenuous. It repeated much of what I knew but other facts very interesting - why no depiction of his wife in his tomb or subsequent husband?'s - Aye's tomb. She simply disappear ...more
Janet
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As mysterious as the subject matter within, is this book about King Tut that seemingly vanishes in and out of my life. Missing it currently is, but when available for reading, there is much to discover in it about ancient civilizations, and historic Egyptian Royalty. With the King Tut exhibit in Dallas this past spring, the title was timely. Little did I know that time would eventually claim my copy of The Murder of Tutankhamen as I attempted to finish it off (as it were).
'Aussie Rick'
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: history

This book is a bit off my normal reading taste but I found it to be a fun and interesting account of Ancient Eygpt and the circumstances surrounding the death of Tutankhamen.

I enjoyed it a great deal and it has sparked a desire to learn & read more about this period of history. If an author can inspire his readers to search out and learn more on a subject then his book has done a good job.

Overall it was an interesting and worthwhile read, buy a copy and enjoy!
Hannah Givens
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and engaging read. I read a lot of books about Tutankhamen and his death for a research paper, and this was one of the fun ones, without being historically useless. I ended up concluding, with the help of research published years after this book, that Tut wasn't murdered at all. That doesn't really take away from the book though, because he clearly labels what's his own hypothesis, and it's more about illuminating the players in the Egyptian court drama at the time.
Cat.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of really interesting facts about the people, beliefs, & customs of the people around during Egypt's 18th dynasty. I now sort of understand the controversy of Tut's father Akhenaten.

The author goes off on a tangent and builds the case that Akhenaten had Marfan's Syndrome, which explains why his "portraits" are so different from the other art. And there is the murder plot....

Yeah. Good, well-written, and clear! Wish all Egyptian history was this easy to follow.
Laura Edwards
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Very interesting read. The author presents his case with care and good detail. I was saddened to learn of the probable fate which awaited Ankhesenamen, Tutankhamen's young widow.

Love these lines near the end of the book. "History is not just facts and cold stones. It consists of people motivated by fears, hopes and desires just like ours." Which is why history fascinates me so much. And Bob Brier does a good job of making history come to life.
grundoon
3.5 Technically speaking, there is murder (probably) and there are forensics. Mostly we have a gentleman with a theory laying out his case. Well no, that's not quite right either, as 80% of the text is actually Egyptology 101 for context. But he does do a good job of that, and keeps it engaging, so feel free to round the rating up if that's all you're really coming for.
Eric Mccutcheon
This was an interesting book to read mostly because of the way the author sets the story. His details about the history of Egypt at the time of Tut was really thorough. The speculation and innuendo that he produces about the way Tut died, however, was really thin. I think that it took away from the strength of the book. He should stick to the history of the time. It speaks for itself.
Maurean
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a wonderfully intriguing and very convincing speculation regarding the possible murder of the boy king. Brier gives a very readable account to dramatize this 3,000 year old mystery, not only of Tutankhamen, but possibly that of his child-bride Ankhesenamen, as well, along with a Hittite prince. Fascinating & entertaining - Good stuff!
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Unfortunately, this theory has been largely--if not definitively--disproven. But this is a seriously good read, not only as a guide to 18th Dynasty Egypt, but for the life of Egypt's most well-known pharaoh. And besides, this theory is just so extremely thought-provoking that it just won't die in popular theory. So maybe that says something too...
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author, a paleopathologist, performs high-tech autopsies on mummies. He takes a look at King Tut's medical evidence to show that he was the victim of a political and religious crime. I don't know that he completely convinced me, but the book was interesting.
Jenny
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egyptology
The epitome of how history (especially Ancient Egyptian history) can change in an instant. Though it has now been relatively proven that Tutankhamun was most certainly not murdered, this book is an interesting read.
Michelle
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was King Tut murdered by a blow to the back of his head or did he die simply from an infected broken leg? Bob Brier poses all sides and leans towards the murdered hypothesis. I think it's probably more likely that he died from and infection but it's certainly fun to speculate.
Jessica
I found this book trying to find another of Bob Brier's books to read. I found it a little too populist and sensational, but it is an interesting read about one of the most celebrated figures in history. Poor Tutankhamen.
I recommend it to someone who wants a light read about Egyptian history.
DJ
Anyone interested in Egyptian history, specifically the god-worship, would really enjoy this book. The evidence of murder, however seems scanty, unfortunately. It just isn't presented strongly enough, though the history and the discussion of the various dynasties and politics is astounding.
Jim
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very informative about Egypt and quick read
makes You want to go to Egypt and see all the great Egyptian monuments/works
gave me a feeling like I was there when all the events/people were happening/living
Nathaniel
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egyptology
Great book if you're Egyptology or antiquities at all. I learned a lot about the Pharaoh's world during the 18th dynasty. It is amazing how much can still be reconstructed about a king that was meant to be erased from history.
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen (Egypt)
  • Hatchepsut: The Female Pharaoh
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Akhenaten: King of Egypt
  • What Life Was Like on the Banks of the Nile: Egypt, 3050-30 BC
  • History of Ancient Egypt
  • Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • Cleopatra: A Biography
  • The Lost Tomb
  • The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Crack the Hieroglyph Code
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • Ancient Egypt
  • The Mummy: A Handbook of Egyptian Funerary Archaelogy
  • Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaohs' Tombmakers
Robert Brier (born December 13, 1943), also known as Mr. Mummy, is an American Egyptologist specializing in paleopathology. A Senior Research Fellow at Long Island University/LIU Post, he has researched and published on mummies and the mummification process and has appeared in many Discovery Civilization documentaries, primarily on ancient Egypt.
Born and raised in The Bronx, New York, Brier earned