Start by marking “Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion, #2)

Scorpion Betrayal

(Scorpion #2)

"Kaplan has written one of the smartest, swiftest and most compelling spy novels I've read in years."

—Harlan Coben, author of Live Wire

"Wow! Scorpion Betrayal…delivers more heart-thumping twists and turns, beliefs and betrayals, than The Day of the Jackal and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold rolled into one."

—Katherine Neville, author of The Eight

A breakneck-paced interna
Published March 27th 2012 by Harper (first published May 23rd 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Scorpion Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorpion Betrayal

Nick Brett
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
The second in the series to feature “The Scorpion”, a free-lance Black Ops agent who works for US Intelligence. This is, although not without flaws, a fast moving thriller. Scorpion is tasked with eliminating a radical that has plans for a “big one” before the bad guy gets to hit his target(s). Seen this many times, but it is well delivered, with pace and excitement as the chase goes from country to country. Scorpion has an Arabic upbringing so he can fit comfortably in Western and Eastern envir ...more
Jacqui
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Andrew Kaplan's second thriller about the man known only as 'Scorpion', Scorpion Betrayal (Harper 2012) is a bullet train through a web of deceit. Scorpion, an American agent not affiliated with any government agency is the best of the best. He is called in to find a terrorist who's devious plan will upend not just America, but the world. What he finds as he untangles this Gordian knot of intrigue is much more. It doesn't seem that anyone anywhere in the world can be honest with him, each other, ...more
Phil Sutton
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have just sat down and read through all 3 of the Scorpion books and they are all excellent stories created by a true master of this genre. It is a benefit to start with his first book in the series "Scorpion" but definitely not necessary. Each book creates an intricate story of plots and sub plots and has the reader guessing to the end.
Scorpion Betrayal is one of the best books I have read of this genre and I have nearly 1000 signed books of the adventure, thriller and CIA action spy genre. It
D.J. Butler
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, espionage
The Scorpion is a deep cover American intelligence agent. He's multilingual, a martial artist, skilled with firearms and explosives and possessed of familiarity with and contacts inside intelligence agencies and criminal gangs all over Europe and the Middle East. More than his enemies and his uncomfortable allies, the person he really distrusts is his slippery and politically-motivated superior, and with every risk he takes, every deeper level of plot he uncovers, the Scorpion has to ask himself ...more
David
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
(Review submitted to Suspense Magazine)
Steven Leitman
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
At first I felt like I wasn't getting a good chance to learn about the main character. He's chasing an unknown enemy and we see some of him and it's the same thing, we get no real clear of how he came to his fanaticism. Of course there's a woman involved as well so far it just felt like this was pretty standard fare, nothing special, nothing new. Then the last quarter of the book things changed and the story became more interesting and the action/adventure is what i wished we'd had throughout th ...more
Snidely
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was one of those books where a few different things were going on, possibly peripheral characters came and went with a few surprises and open holes along the way, and then, as the end approaches, the reader learns:

No, you thought it was A but it was really B. And, you remember when we all expected C and D? Well, those didn't happen, we didn't tell you that E did F and G instead and so it was K and L. And H wasn't really H but P in disguise.

This may not be the right way to describe it but b
Nicci Carrera
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spy-thriller
Beautifully crafted, rich in details about the middle east, spycraft, politics, and WMDs, I find Kaplan's work a bit scary because it's so believable. I learned a lot and really liked Scorpion. I'll be reading the series.
Mysterytribune
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Andrew Kaplan is best known for his spy thriller novels featuring a former operative code-named Scorpion. He worked as a freelance journalist and war correspondent for the International Herald Tribune and has also served in the army. His new novel Scorpion Betrayal will be released in Mass Market Paperback edition on March 27, 2012.

A Brief Summary:

The head of Egypt's State Internal Security is brutally murdered in a Cairo cafe by a faceless killer known only as "the Palestinian." The murder beco
Michael Griswold
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Andrew Kaplan's "Scorpion Betrayal" combines all the elements of an old school detective story with terrorism and espionage to create a fast paced adrenaline laced thrill ride. The two main characters, the Scorpion and The Palestinian are both shadowy figures on separate missions that are bound to collide. The Palestinian-a terrorist hell bent on global destruction, the Scorpion-a mysterious agent who is loosely tied to the CIA.

Kaplan keeps the reader guessing as the line between good and evil b
Tom Tischler
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Egypt's Head of Internal State Security is brutally murdered
in a Cairo cafe by a faceless killer known only as the
Palestinian. It is move one in a chilling game of terror that
catches the International Intelligence Community off guard.
The CIA turns to the only man they believe can get to the
bottom of this. He is code named The Scorpion. The mastermind
is leading The Scorpion from the Middle East to the capitols
of Europe. The fate of the free world is in the hands of two
well matched adversaries
Vicki
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I checked this book out from the library because it had gotten some decent reviews, but I just couldn't get into it. While I hate to give up on a book, I only read about a third of this one. Apparently Scorpion Betrayal is part of a series, and much of the time I felt like I was missing out on some character insight and/or background. The book jumped around from one scene to another without proper segues, and felt disjointed. It takes a skilled writer to write action scenes that are vivid, excit ...more
David Matteri
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I appreciate Kaplan's style of action writing, however the rest of the book fell short and I stopped reading halfway through. Perhaps if I read the first book in the series I would have a stronger emotional tie with the protagonist, but this book seems to take itself too seriously and the hero seems flat and humorless. If you like spy thrillers and have read Kaplan's work before, then you will enjoy this book. I may try reading Kaplan's other works, but this one didn't satisfy as much as I had h ...more
Warren Thoms
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a good story with twists and turns but I found it a hard read. I am not sure if it was the writing style or I just was not in much of a reading mood the past few days. Kaplan has two more books in this series but I am not sure if I will continue with it. I am going to take some time and then try the third book and see how it goes. I wish there had been a little more about Scorpion, background and different other things that would have made me feel more for him.
Peter
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
SPY THRILLER! IN MY OPINION THIS IS A BOOK THAT MAY APEAL TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF READER AND SORRY TO SAY I AM NOT ONE OF THEM. WHILE THE PLOT SEEMS TO BE GOOD THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS THAT HAPPEN YOU NEED A SCORE CARD. THE CHARACTERS TO WHICH I GIVE THE MOST IMPORTANCE ARE AGAIN IN MY OPINION NOT WELL WRITTEN. LIKE I SAID BEFORE THIS BOOK WILL APEAL TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF READER BUT FOR THE REST OF US I CANNOT RECCOMEND THIS BOOK.
Susan
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it

A bit tough going at first. Also agree with some reviewers that the continual use of foreign languages is quite distracting -- although this diminishes significantly as the book goes on. The story is complex, the feeling is real, and the end is a huge surprise. And very scary since highly plausible. An excellent and very current plot, with movie written all over it.
Jeffery
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lot's of 'inside baseball' of the spy game in this one. Kaplan inserts too many foreign phrases into the dialog, which he doesn't always translate and which begins to tire the reader.

All in all, not bad, but I haven't read the other book(s) in the series and I found myself somewhat lost at times.

Kaplan surely knows what he's talking about and the plot was very good.
Rosemary Dreyer
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars: This is the second book in the Scorpion books. I found it more choppy, with leaps in action, and harder to follow. While I like this character and the fast paced action, I don't think this book was as well crafted as the previous one.
Carole
May 12, 2012 rated it did not like it

There were so many Arabic and Dutch words that it threw off my concentration. Also he had to explain the moves he used in fight scenes as if it was a text book. The story line was good, but I was distracted much of the time.
Julia
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ed
Aug 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spies
One-dimensional characters, overly-complex confusing plot, repetitive writing. Gave up because I didn't care about the characters or about learning how it was going to end. Life's too short to waste on this kind of book.
Jenn Hutchinson
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Scorpion was a little too undercover for me. Had a hard time understanding where the hell he was and why the hell he was there in the first place. But he did seem to know what he was doing and he certainly got his spy business done.
Adrian Bello
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
pretty good story but not very well written. plus the super hero spook/agent thing is getting boring
Mark Boss
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
loved this book. relevant plot told in a believable framework.
Matesha
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The story started interesting then just became boring. Shame
Gina
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, mystery, issues
This is a good book for fans of The Bourne Identity series. It has lots of action and twists to the plot, all in exotic settings.
Pickleman
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Really hard to get through unless you're a linguist and really know Arabic, German, Farsi, Franch,etc. Story is pretty good however.
Kevyn
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Join the numbers.. Gave up on page 50, as I've read it all before.
John
Not worth reading again.
Mikaela St-Pierre
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
It's exciting, it's brilliant, and the action never stops. Andrew Kaplan knows how to keep his readers on their toes.

• Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • The Dropper
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • A Song for My Mother
  • V-S Day: A Novel of Alternate History
  • Topgun Days: Dogfighting, Cheating Death, and Hollywood Glory as One of America's Best Fighter Jocks
  • The Omega Theory (Final Theory, #2)
  • Lord Tyger
  • The Scroll
  • Quiller
  • A Tapestry of Dreams (Tales of Jernaeve, #1)
  • After Hours: Tales from the Ur-Bar (Ur-Bar #1)
  • The Cloud (Nat Idle #3)
  • Immortal Champion (Immortal Brotherhood, #3)
  • The Council of Shadows (Shadowspawn, #2)
  • The Flamekeepers
  • Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)
  • Novels & Stories 1950–1962: Player Piano / The Sirens of Titan / Mother Night / Stories
Andrew Kaplan is the author of two spy thriller book series: SCORPION and HOMELAND, as well as three earlier novels, DRAGONFIRE, HOUR OF THE ASSASSINS, and WAR OF THE RAVEN, which was selected by the American Library Association as one of the 100 best books ever written about World War II. A former freelance journalist and war correspondent, he covered events around the world and served in both th ...more

Scorpion (4 books)
  • Scorpion (Scorpion, #1)
  • Scorpion Winter (Scorpion, #3)
  • Scorpion Deception (Scorpion, #4)
“I will kill you. I don’t want to, but I will,” he said, cocking the hammer. “Do you really want to kill a million people? Women, children? Is that who you really are?” “Who I am?” she laughed, with a touch of hysteria. “Don’t you understand? That’s the whole point! I’m a Palestinian! Who am I? What am I? I don’t belong! Don’t you see? I don’t belong anywhere. No family, no country, nothing! I wanted to belong to you, that’s the horrible joke!” She laughed wildly. “To the enemy!” 0 likes