Start by marking “A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)

Read Excerpt

A Dash of Murder

(Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou Mystery #1)

A Mystery for Ghost Hunters!
When Betsy's Aunt Maggie wants to drag her along on a ghost hunting excursion at the local abandoned tuberculosis hospital she isn't sure if she quite believes in ghosts. When she comes upon a fresh spirit in the form of a body, she starts to rethink about what really is haunting the hospital.

Betsy must solve the murder in spite of her father,
Published September 14th 2011 by Tightwad Tess Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dash of Murder

KyBunnies
I love reading a good mystery and this one did not let me down. The author will take readers on a trail with ghost, murder and a little romance. This book is a short fast read. Yet, the author created a book that will keep readers interested until the end. I did not figure out the villain until it was revealed in the book. Okay no more about that I do not want to write any spoilers.

Betsy is another female that has been let down by a male. She is not the average female. She actually makes a name
Emma Lindhagen
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, paranormal, mystery
I'll read anything with a teapot on the cover but sadly I was disappointed by this. The story seems unstructured with too many themes running on top of one another. It also could've really benefitted from editing. However, I give props to the author for making the MC a single mom in her 30s (I think that's the age, anyway) instead of a doey-eyed 20-something like so many books with romantic themes do.
Krystyna
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Asylum seekers

A gentle cozy mystery incorporating murder, a ghost, a lunatic asylum and an attractive man. Betsy has to find the solution. Flows well and an enjoyable read.
LORI CASWELL
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Being the first book in the series the author not only has to give us a mystery but also introduce us to the characters and give us a feel for the time and place. Teresa Trent does a great job at this.

The place happens to be the abandoned Johnson Tuberculosis Hospital which would be a spooky place to me no matter what time of year it is. The idea that there may be spirits lurking enough to bring ghost hunters to investigate adds to the haunted feeling. I was nervous about any
Kandy
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story with interesting characters. I think I'll be going back to Pecan Bayou again in the future.
Sarah Walker
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a nice Nancy Drew for Texans. It has action. It has scenery. It has characters who talk to each other. It has a plot and a connective outline. It has murder. And angst and romance even...a tiny bit. It has everyday life and it looks like the beginning of a series. This is a pretty good book that I finished (which I won't do if I get bored). I enjoyed it.

What it's missing is suspense and tension and a hot kiss, even a stolen one. It's missing a high action satisfying end where the reader
TAMMY CUEVAS
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Betsy Livingston, aka "The Happy Hinter", has agreed to help her Aunt Maggie on a ghost hunt at the old TB hospital. When Betsy stumbles upon the dead body of someone from her past, she knows she has to solve the murder.

This is the type of mystery novel I could read every day. It's a nice, "cozy" mystery, in spite of a bit of murder and a little strong language. The inclusion of the character of Danny, who has Down's Syndrome, is a very nice touch. This is a series I will be following happily.

Lori Henrich
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Betsy has had a difficult start to her married life. Before her son was born her husband went out for cough drops and never returned, leaving her with alot of questions and a mountain of debt. She had been saving household hints since she was a little girl. She used these hints to make a living. First by putting them in a book and then by writing column for the paper.

Betsy is very fond of her Aunt Maggie. When Maggie wants her to get involved with the paranormal society she started she is very r
Nola Arganbright
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
A very good fast moving Cozy Mystery. Betsy is a single mother with a 7 year old son. Her father is with local Law Enforcement and they live in Pecan Bayou, Texas somewhere in the northeast half of the state.
The story begins at the deserted Johnson Tuberculosis Hospital where Betsy and her Aunt Maggie of the local Paranormal Investigating Group are setting up a tour of the hospital with local news coverage. Betsy and the group find a body in the empty rundown hospital and the excitement begins.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This is a cute short quick read. A novella about a young woman, Betsy Livingston, who writes a weekly news column entitled the 'Happy Hinter.' Betsy loving her family, as she does, and so did I, agrees to join her favorite Auntie in a ghost hunting adventure for the local Access television station.

Quickly, it becomes clear that it is a good thing, Betsy's Father is Police Chief, when the first ghost of the evening adventure is found. Only...it is slightly more than a ghost.

This was a fun read. H
Kylie
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Betsy and her son live in Pecan Bayou, a small town where everyone knows everyone. Her husband walked out on her 7 years previously while she was pregnant, and she is still not over it. Her father is the town cop, her aunt is a ghost hunter. A body is found, her former husband's business partner. The mystery begins.

This was a light read, that sounded good on the blurb, but fell short of expectations. The story line was quite thin. The plot had potential, but failed to deliver.

I finished it pure
Mindy
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love a good murder mystery. I love that this book has a hint of romance at the fringe but never goes into full blown romance. That hint just adds to the mystery and tension. And the story keeps you pulled in until the end. And when you find out that the murder is … You didn’t think I would really tell you, now did you? Let’s just say I wouldn’t have guessed it in a million years.

I give this story 4.5 out of 5 clouds.

This product or book may have been distributed for review; this in no way af
Gayle
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Lisa Godina
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
What happens when you mix paranormal investigation and murder... you get the book A Dash of Murder. It is a delightful and easy to read story with an interesting twist. I enjoyed this book with a cup of Caramel Mocha. My neice wants to try a couple of the recipes that the author so kindly includes with the book.
Karen M
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually giving this cozy mystery a 3-1/2 stars. I liked it enough to go on and read the next book in the series but it had a short comings in this first book. I don't recall any real clue as to the identity of the killer but I have to say that's my only complaint. I like the characters and the fact it's set somewhere I've never been.

I look forward to reading the next book.
Deb Novack
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun little cozy mystery/paranormal book. An amateur paranormal group is checking out the town;s old falling down hospital reputed to be haunted. When doing a walk through a dead body is discovered and the investigation ensues. If you want to discover all the details please read this book.
Rebecca
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great little mystery. Easy characters to understand and like. Good plot twists. Nothing too complicated. Could have used a dose of romance with the dash of murder - perhaps in the next one. I would be interested in reading more in this series. A bit more editing would have refined it. Loved the hints and recipes in the back.
Kassandra Lamb
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great start to a new mystery series! I enjoyed this story very much, especially the characters--just quirky enough to be interesting but still believable. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
Feb 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
We.ll... I didn't finish it, but I really couldn't get into it and just couldn't find the energy to put into reading something that clearly held no interest to me. Maybe someone else will like it, but definitely not one i liked
Sandra
A nice cozy mystery I enjoyed very much.
Cecilia Pulliam
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lighthearted and fun with just a dash of who-did-it.
Glenda
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of the Pecan Bayou mystery series. I enjoyed it. A lot of questions left unanswered. I will read the next book "Overdue for Murder".
Anita
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was a spooky, fun and quick read. Although, the true culprit came out of thin air. There was no following the clues to a conclusion. I also found several editing mistakes.
Susan F
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Good story overall. My one problem was I didn't see a clear 'hint' that directed me to the true criminal early in the book. Maybe I missed it. :)
Karen
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay plot but solution is out of the blue--no real clues leading up to it. I thought the characterization of her son was not well done--not a typical seven year old. Seemed like lots of disconnects.
Terri
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

Well written murder mystery with loads of details. You know it's a good book when you feel like you are in the story! Can't wait to read the next one!
Kaate1922
rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2018
Bethany
Mar 05, 2013
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Buyer's Remorse (Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery #3)
  • Cat's Paw
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • Collateral Damage: An Annie Ogden Mystery
  • Secret Vow
  • My Future Husband
  • Town Haunts
  • Death Tidies Up (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #2)
  • The Road to Mercy
  • Mother of Pearl
  • Down & Dirty
  • Second Chance: Tanner & Shannon (New Beginnings, #2)
  • Across The Winds Of Time (Winds of Time, #1)
  • The Contessa's Vendetta
  • River's End (The Inn at Shining Waters, #3)
  • The Final Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery Series, #1)
Teresa Trent writes hilarious cozy mysteries that take place in the small towns of Texas. She was first inspired to create Pecan Bayou after visiting the Texas Hill Country to view the millions of springtime flowers alongside the roads and highways.
Teresa also writes the Piney Woods Series with Camel Press and debuted the first book in the series January 2018.
Teresa also features other cozy auth

Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou Mystery (7 books)
  • Overdue for Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #2)
  • Doggone Dead (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #3)
  • Buzzkill (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #4)
  • Burnout (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #5)
  • Murder for a Rainy Day (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #6)
  • Till Dirt Do Us Part (Pecan Bayou Book 7)