Start by marking “Skeleton Lake (Hollows #1)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Lake (Hollows #1)

Read Book

Skeleton Lake

(Hollows #1)

Unsure if she's drowning or being saved, all Marlow wants to do is run away. Ensnared in a haunting love triangle, she realizes both boys have holes in their hearts; gaping spaces she can never hope to fill.

Scars from loving the same girl, a girl who managed to stay dead.

Now she is being hunted, for what she has become and what she never asked to be. Even as a Skeleton Mar
Paperback, 1st Edition, 290 pages
Published October 21st 2011 by Red Iris Books (first published October 17th 2011)

Runningrabbit
This is well written and definitely something a bit different. The creativity scale is huge and Angela Kulig has created a unique world where death becomes an extra part of life, with new threats which also creates a whole realm of new fears.

If you want a paranormal romance which takes you on a different journey of life, because let's face it - what is life, then this is for you.
Coty Lynn
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Death permeates this story perfectly from beginning to end. Paranormal romance is not my usual genre of choice, but I'm glad I stepped out and tried this book. The writing flows so well and although the pace is fast, it was really easy to keep up with what happens in the story. I was a bit upset with how dependent the main character is upon a guy in her death, until I started to understand the reason behind the closeness. Most everything in the book was explained to my satisfaction, but especial ...more
Rhiannon Frater
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a rough book to review because I really liked a lot of the elements, but in the end there were such massive gaping holes in the plot I wanted to bash my head against the wall.

Warning: Spoilers ahead

What I Liked:
I enjoyed the teenage characters quite a bit. I felt they were well-defined in personality and interacted with each other in what I felt was a believable way (outside the main character, that is).

The concept of the Skeletons and Skeleton Lake was really a cool idea. I LOVED it (t
Melanie McCullough
The idea of soulmates is one I cling to. I like to believe that somewhere in the world we each have someone with whom we were meant to be (in case you didn't know, I'm a little bit of a hopeless romantic). What I like best about Skeleton Lake is the fact that Raidan and Marlow are in fact soulmates. Instantly drawn together and destined to love one another. Yeah, swoon.

Of course at this point enter Conrad because, after all, you can't have a love triangle without three sides. I didn't love Conra
Satarupa
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got his book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank Angela Kulig, author of The Skeleton Lake, for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this fabulous book.

Wow! This is an awesome-sauce story and I fell in love with the total concept on Skeletons. The heroine Marlow is a skeleton, Can you believe it guys? Well I felt the same when I read this book and enjoyed every bit of it.

It is a real page-turner and I complete
Lourie
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
“Skeleton Lake” is wonderfully original.

It’s seems harder and harder to find a story that will capture your attention but still be new and invigorating. Kulig manages to do this with her beautiful prose and creative storytelling about skeletons.

The story is told in the first person from Marlow’s point of view and it moves very quickly. However at points it does move to swiftly leaving you to piece together key points that would have made the story more coherent if explained better.

As for the c
Star
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Skeleton Lake grips you in it's bony embrace and doesn't let you go. When Marlow gets the shock of her life (so far), she runs away and ends up in Skeleton Lake. She is found by Raiden and given a new gift and new love. Can Marlow choose the right path or will she end up finishing what she started the night she came to Skeleton Lake?

Skeleton Lake is a story that is fresh and unique. The characters were well-developed and you learned their back stories as the events unfolded. I read Skeleton Lake
Ember Shane
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately drawn into Kulig's Skeleton Lake from the start. Her descriptions are vivid, her narrative voice lilting. It's always exciting to come across a paranormal premise for a story I've not yet read, so the idea of skeletons had me from the start. And I have to admit, I'm drawn to this cover. The gothic feel of the tones, subject, and font are all very pleasing to the eye. (view spoiler) ...more
Jennifer Anderson
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Fantastic book! Wonderful idea.
I was hooked immediately and couldn't put the 600 page book down! And the pages flew by. Once I was done, I immediately contacted the author and asked when the next one was coming out.

The descriptions were well done and allowed me to believe I was standing by Skeleton Lake. I could almost feel my clothes being absorbed from my body.

The relationships were angst filled which to me, is extremely important in YA.

If you haven't yet, you have to check this book out.

Brenda
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Such a unique spin on the paranormal genre. Dude they are skeletons!! I mean how awesome is that right?!
I find I would have liked a little more background info on the characters but it doesn't really matter you get so caught up in the story and get lost in this world of soul mates and skeletons.
I really hope there is going to be more books in this series, this is a world I could get lost in again and again.
Linda Dao
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I can't praise this enough. Hopefully my future review will suffice. I want everyone to pick up a copy! It's full of awesomeness!
Karen Siddall
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Marlow shows up unexpectedly at a party and discovers that her boyfriend and best friend are a couple, she’s distraught. When she realizes everyone already knew this but her, she is publicly humiliated and runs away, hysterical and hopeless, thinking to end it all in the lake. The next thing she knows she wakes up, being taken care of, in the bed of Raiden Mast, a boy from her school. She’s surprised and confused but even more so when Raiden tells her “Last night you ... died.” And thus beg ...more
Angela Sanders
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton Lake!

Amazingly written, and so unique. This book has quickly become another favorite, and I can't wait to buy the next one!
These characters, the skeletons, and even the hollows, are nothing I could have ever imagined. I kept panicking, the closer I got to the ending--I didn't want it to end.
The close group or family and friends is real, you feel their pain, their loss, their love for one another and the circumstances in which they live.
This is a must-read book, and I can't wait to re
Gypsy Madden
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adored the beginning of this book! I loved the early descriptions of Raiden, and the flashbacks of Marlow trying to remember him from school (and I love his name!) I loved the desolation of Marlow as she attempted to commit suicide and was rescued, only to have her world turned upside down as she was told that she was now a skeleton. And I loved that the author attempted to create an entirely new supernatural creature for once. Everything out there right now is vampires, and werewolves, and dr ...more
Natasha
Jun 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
What did I just read? I feel like I just read Twilight all over again but instead of vampires, it's about skeletons.
Nancy
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good book however I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Chelsea Moye
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictive Characters & An Immersive New World

I can’t get enough of the characters in this book! I identify heavily with Marlow, and I love both Raiden and Conrad. I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book in the series!
Katy
Apr 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but it is one of the worst books I have ever read. While the concept was truly unique and had a lot of potential, the story was chaotic and made no sense whatsoever.

I'm already put off after reading the first chapter. I don't know from personal experience, of course, but you can't just drown by throwing yourself into the water. There's a reason why you weigh yourself down because you float and you have a natural instinct to save yourself when you begin running
Eric Townsend
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
A mixture of emotions flows through me after reading Skeleton Lake. The idea of a Skeleton in the way Kulig represents them is fascinating and I was intrigued from the onset. Killing off your main character, even if not completely in every sense, right at the beginning of the book is always an entertaining way to go. Once you’ve done something like that it challenges the writer to essentially reverse the usual writing order of things, your ending is essentially your beginning. I felt Kulig did a ...more
Rebecca
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s not every day that I find a book about skeletons, in fact Skeleton Lake by Angela Kulig is probably the first one I have read in which the protagonist is a skeleton. That being said, I really enjoyed Skeleton Lake.
The first reason I enjoyed it so much was because it was so original and I thought the skeletons and the lake was explained really well within the book. I did have a couple of questions about one or two of the concepts but I believe that this is the first book in the series so I’l
Jamie (LadyJai) Dement
All the reviews I read made me want to read this book. I was so excited when I received my copy and couldn't wait to read it.

From the first chapter, I was completely lost. I had no clue what was being said. Maybe this was deliberate since Marlow was "drowning". So, I kept reading. The story began to work itself out over the next few chapters and I could see it more clearly.

The characters were not very deep. Even though the story was told through the eyes of Marlow, I just couldn't get into her
A Book Vacation
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
While I found the premise of this novel to be phenomenal, the story itself did not impress me as much as I’d hoped. It felt rushed to me—moving too quickly without giving me the background information or characterization that I needed to really become enamored with the novel.

The novel starts off with Marlow running away from a party where her boyfriend, or ex boyfriend now, is hooking up with another girl. Almost immediately, she becomes a Skeleton, and two Skeleton males are suddenly vying for
K.T. Hanna
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a few chapters to get into the book. The first few chapters, while essential to your understanding of Skeleton Lake, moved a little slow for me.

However, once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.

Angela builds a vivid world with a compelling story. She skillfully fills in the backstory in such a way that you know more about the characters than you thought you did just when you need to.

The main characters, Marlow and Raiden, are very well constructed. As the reader, you come to care
Brittany
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
*Let me start off by saying that I absolutely HATE not finishing a book. However, in the case of Skeleton Lake I think I might have to make an exception.

The Good
- the concept behind the book was surprisingly fresh. Instead of using the typical YA cast of zombies, wolves, and vampires the author chose to go with skeletons. Kudos to her for stepping outside the box
- the main character, Marlow is very easy to relate too. She's not some perfectly made up bombshell but instead a socially awkward t
Anna
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Angela has built an intense world with this fascinating fast paced story. Once you reach for this book there is no going back, I just wanted to read and never stop. I absolutely love a book where I feel like I'm right there and its all happening around me and Angela has done just that with this amazing book. The fact it's fast paced leaves you to think more about why or what or where and isn't that what a book is about.. we can't leave the author to spell it all out for us!!

The characters were w
Emily
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked the idea of this book, but felt a bit confused throughout it. It took me a while to get into, but every time I started reading I felt lost and ended up feeling I had missed reading something important that would have helped me understand what was going on. At some point I just kept reading hoping I would start to get it...and to some extent I did. I just wish it would have gone into more detail about the skeletons, the hollows and the tree creatures. I didn't quite understand a lot of wh ...more
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.75/5

First thanks to the author for gifting me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Since I read Skeleton song I was curious about what was gonna happen in that one and I was wondering about the link between Marlow and Cassie. Since we have a classic tale of soul mate with a twist of skeleton I was a little bit scared I would find myself back into the same love triangle than the short story and yes the triangle is back but the story is about so much more than that a
Liesl Hion
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Concept ... brilliant. Writing ... fantastic, beautiful sentence structure. Pace ... all over the place which made the story hard to follow, so many gaps and very choppy. Now to the editing. Was this written using predictive text? So many words were wrong that it interrupted the reading flow. Even names were spelled differently from one part of the book to the other. Argh, so frustrating. This could have been a brilliant book. Angela has a beautiful writing style and the way this book began had ...more
Nancy
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running through the forest, mad as hell, hurt more than mad; Marlow saw the old dock and did what her heart told her to do. She jumped. The water wasn’t cold, even with the snow on the ground. It welcomed her and made her feel loved.
Not so much when she woke up on Lena’s sofa with people staring at her. Kids she knew from school in a “Hi, what’s up?” kinda way. Not close friends at all. Then she gets news she hadn’t planned on. She’s dead.
This isn’t a simple thing at all. Her bones are a lovely
Siobhan
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I loved this book. Why? Because it is something ORIGINAL and different.
I'm so used to reading about warlocks, vampires, werewolves, demons, etc that books unlike the norm are a breath of fresh air. This one was.
I love the concepts of skeletons and how they come to be.

I love the romance that is woven into this book and even how the skeletons aren't fleshy humans but they still behave like that, e.g. Getting scared when seeing someone you love injured and hurt. They are apart but don't view themse
Indie Authors Mon...: Skeleton Lake FREE til Fri on Amazon 1 14 May 20, 2013 11:35AM

• Bone Dressing (Book 1)
  • War of the Witch (Legacies of Talimura, #1)
  • Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1)
  • Vortex (Return of the Effra, #1)
  • Murder at Malenfer
  • Ashes (Arson, # 2)
  • The Rhine Maiden
  • Eaters: The Beginning
  • Cicada (Cicada, #1)
  • Black Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #2)
  • Click
  • Sunrise (The Daylight Cycle, #2)
  • Year 50
  • Grimm End
  • The Glassheart Chronicles
  • Aladdin and His Wonderfully Infernal Device
  • The War Inside (The Horizons Trilogy, #1)
  • Fairytale on Fifth Avenue (short stories)
Angela Kulig is an American gypsy, and former pirate. She has been from sea to shining sea--and though she is currently trapped in the desert against her will, she escapes everyday in the form of many books.

Hollows (3 books)
  • Dust of the Dead Sea (Hollows #2)
  • The Desert of Ash and Waves (Hollows #3)