Start by marking “Beethoven's Hair: An Extraordinary Historical Odyssey and a Scientific Mystery Solved” as Want to Read:

The basis for the movie of the same name, an astonishing tale of one lock of hair and its amazing travels--from nineteenth-century Vienna to twenty-first-century America.

When Ludwig van Beethoven lay dying in 1827, a young musician named Ferdinand Hiller came to pay his respects to the great composer, snipping a lock of Beethoven's hair as a keepsake--as was custom at the
Published October 9th 2001 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Beethoven's Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beethoven's Hair

Start your review of Beethoven's Hair: An Extraordinary Historical Odyssey and a Scientific Mystery Solved
La Tonya  Jordan
Oct 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: History Readers
Recommended to La Tonya by: Palladium Bookies
Shelves: good-read
Ludwig Van Beethoven lay dying in 1827 and a young inspiring composer Ferdinand Hiller snip a lock of his hair as keepsake which was the custom of the day. How this lock of hair traveled through the centuries of 1827 Vienna to be auctioned and sold on December 2, 1994 by Sotheby's auction house in London, England is a mystery? The book takes the reader thru Vienna, Denmark, Cologne, the sea port city of Gilleleje, and countless interviews to piece together this mystery.

At times the book reads
kingshearte
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
Although this book had an interesting story to tell, I had some issues with the way Martin chose to tell it.

For starters, the structure of the book was a little off-putting. He alternated chapters concerning the journey and fate of the hair with chapters about Beethoven's life, and I found that kind of jarring, somehow. I also found that he repeated himself a lot, and went into greater detail about seemingly minor incidents than felt necessary. Frankly, a lot of it felt like filler. This book
Kathleen Dixon
I hadn't read anything abut this finding of a lock of Beethoven's hair, so found the topic fascinating. However, I found the book far too wordy and I skimmed an awful lot of it. A slim volume, one quarter the size, would have held my interest and would have received 4 stars in a review.
Melissa T
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
As boring as this may sound--I was fascinated! It was amazing to see the progression of "beethoven's hair" along to modern times when we actually were able to do testing on it to find out why Beethoven was deaf. Probably my favorite part of the book was when his hair was with a violin in Denmark during WWII--it had probably 40 pages full of the heroism of the Danes during WWII. Obviously that has nothing to do with Beethoven (except that apparently a lock of his hair experienced it!), but well ...more
Sheila
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This historical non-fiction book is about the true story of Beethoven's lock of hair that was innocently snipped from the musician's corpse by a 15-year old piano student, Ferdinand Hiller who, before he died by the age of about 80, passed it to his only son, Paul Hiller, who in turn gifted it to an unknown museum in Germany and was mysteriously given to a doctor in a small town in Denmark by an unknown refugee fleeing the Nazism that was endangering the lives of the Jews in Europe.

Beethoven
David Hines
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful little book that is a wonderful read! Tells the story of Beethoven through a lock of his hair, carefully handed down for generations, and intermingled with the tale of how it came to be passed on through an encounter during World War II when Jews came through the Denmark city of Gilleleje and residents there tried to rescue them and transfer them through to Sweeden. It's a wonderful tale of the legendary classical composer and a relatively unknown but heroic tale from World ...more
Mary
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
When Beethoven dies, a promising young musician, Peter Hiller, clips a lock of his hair. This book is about the journey of the hair through time until it comes into the hands of some American Beethoven admirers.

These two men agree to have some of the hair tested by scientists to see if they can learn the source of Beethoven’s deafness and other illnesses. What they discover is very interesting.
Deirdre
On the whole, I really liked this book. It told a fascinating story -- the journey of a lock of Beethoven's hair from Vienna to the United States, by way of Cologne, Germany, Gilleleje, Denmark, and London, England; and its subsequent scientific testing. The intertwined biographies of Beethoven and the people who loved him or interacted with him down the years were particularly fascinating.

So, why only three stars?

First, because of a certain apparent carelessness in some of the writing. For
Barbara
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
IN CASE you were just interested in the forensic stuff about the hair, just skip to page 176 (about the middle).

Pages 1 through 175 are a byzantine recounting of the provenance of the hair itself, which is interesting....but the author spends too much time going down rabbit holes. Those rabbit holes are described in excruciating detail and florid prose. Ultimately, the mystery of how the hair got from Vienna to a Danish fishing village remains undetermined.

However, the forensic stuff is
Rachel Pollock
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I do love a good, readble, well-paced nonfiction book on a compelling and odd topic, and this was a very good example of exactly that. Yes, it's ostensibly about how a lock of Beethoven's hair came to be auctioned by Sotheby's, and of course it weaves in a biographical sketch of the composer throughout, but it also takes the reader some pretty amazing and unexpected places: the heroic rescue efforts undertaken by the citizens of Denmark on behalf of their Jewish countrymen during the Holocaust, ...more
Eugenea Pollock
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: car-books
I found this book to be a fascinating examination of the (1) provenance of a significant relic (analogous to that of a revered religious saint) and (2) possible cause(s) of Beethoven's deafness, as well as his other debilitating afflictions, I light of 21st century analytical tools. It had aspects of a scientific thriller, which I would love to have seen developed to a greater extent.
Jennifer Stringer
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
"Seriously, mama? You are reading a book about a ratty piece of hair." Grace Stringer
Lisbeth
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book in the Book festival, and it is quite an interesting topic, of which I had never heard before. Since I love a real life mystery, it was a must for me. It seems that when Beethoven died in March 1827, the fifteen-year-old musical protégé Ferdinand Hiller was in Vienna, visiting the composer together with his instructor Johann Nepomuk Hummel. Hiller later wrote:
"He lay, weak and miserable, sighing deeply at intervals. Not a word fell from his lips; sweat stood out on his
Renee Roberts
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yehudit Reishtein
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: music lovers
Very interesting exploration of Beethoven's career and health, and what happened to a lock of his hair which was cut after his death. More than half the book discusses what happened to some of his hair after it was cut by 15 year-old Ferdinand Hiller. Hiller had the hair enclosed in a locket, as was the custom in 19th century Europe, and many years later gave it to his son. Somehow, the locket ended up in the possession of a family in the small fishing village of Gilleleje Denmark, and was sold ...more
Kyoung Hae Kim
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beethoven has been my recent fascination since I moved to Vienna, where the grand composer actually lived, performed, and died. The fact that I am living near Heiligenstadt where he spent critical moments (let alone the famous Heiligenstadt Testment) gives me a special bondage with this great man.

Walking along the Beethovengang(Beethoven trail) I ponder upon his deepening frustration and his ultimate victory over his pain.

"Ah, how could I possibly admit weakness of the one sense which should
NancyJ
This wasn't quite what I expected, but it fit the bill for a Beethoven themed book club meeting I'll be attending tonight. This book gave me just enough information about Beethoven's life and health, plus information about forensic hair analysis, culture in late 1700's - 1800's Europe, a new world war II story (in Denmark this time), and investigative efforts that tie all those things together.

In 1994, two Beethoven fans bought a locket of Beethoven's hair from a Sotheby's auction, and over the
David Meyer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure where this story would go, and it did not disappoint. A young prodigy gets to meet Beethoven, eventually cuts off a lock of his hair, and the book takes off from there. The story follows not just what is happening with the hair in the present, but follows the likely course the locket that held the hair took as it exchanged hands multiple times. This path leads into some fascinating details about World War 2 that I'd never heard before. The books discusses Beethoven's life (many ...more
Tmittman
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.8 As a great aficionado of Beethoven I found the book interesting and worthwhile. I would recommend it to anyone with similar interest in the composer. The author explores a detailed search for answers to how the hair ended up in the hands of a Danish woman and where the original holders of the hair parted from it. The author alternates chapters delving into Beethoven's life of music and illness with chapters detailing the search for answers to the above questions. This necessarily leads to ...more
Nina
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was really fascinating. A clipped lock of Beethoven's hair was purchased from a Danish Sotheby's auction by two Americans, who then began a sleuthing investigation to figure out how it had landed in Denmark as well as pay for tests on the hair to see if they could determine the cause of Beethoven's decades of multiple health problems and deafness. The book gives us a history of the Vienna music scene in the early 19th century and a little known history of how the Danish people helped the ...more
Robert
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If You Love The Great Classical Composers... You'll Enjoy This Book

Interestingly written jumping back and forth between befors Beethoven's death and after, made this a much more interesting read. For something as small as a lock of Beethoven's hair to survive 2 World Wars is a miracle. Reading how... is the foundation. I highly recommend reading this book if you enjoy Classical music. Beethoven was one of the most highly recognized of these composers... the John Lennon of his day.
Peter Steiner
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Beautiful Granddaughter, Rayna, was born on the day this genus was born. So the story had extra special resonance.

It is amazing how Beethoven suffered from a confluence of severe maladies and was still able to produce such sublime and everlasting music.

This book is a travelogue through time, struggles and triumph. A medical whodunnit, stories of great composers and their relationships and stories about wartime struggles and post-war adventures.

I loved this book and highly recommend it.
Doris
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I'd have found this book far more fascinating if it had been a lengthy article, where the information could have been streamlined and distilled. It was certainly an interesting reveal about both Beethoven and his hair, but the research was a bit too padded with posing and reposing questions and positing likely answers rather than just working toward the facts as they were discovered. One fascinating reveal was in the summation instead of in the story of events, which I found odd. I also thought ...more
Emily Cook
I personally thought it was a bit weird. The whole book we are following this dead man's hair, which is something I couldn't get out of my head and the pictures of it just skeeved me out, but that's just me as a person. I did enjoy reading about the history of Beethoven and how his hair got to where it did and I enjoyed how the writing was interesting to read and easy to follow along. If you have anyone who is interested in Beethoven or musical composers in general, I highly recommend this ...more
Gita
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really really interesting book. Among many fascinating threads, the question what is the price of creation runs through this. Staggering to read of the amount of physical pain and constant discomfort that plagued Beethoven--had he had all the conveniences of modern medicine would he have composed such phenomenal music?
Then, the threads of anti-semitism, and how the hair survived. Worth the detour to read this book.
Susan
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, this is one of the best books I have read. This book covers Beethoven's life alternating with the documented history of a lock of his hair taken from his corpse by another composer. The book is all drama and mystery, and all true. Just an amazing read. I finished the book and thought what a great movie this would make. Then I discovered there is supposed to be an award-winning docudrama mad from this story in 2005, but it appears not to be very accessible.
Diane
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I will take fate by the throat; it shall not wholly overcome me. Oh, it would be so lovely to live a thousand lives.”
Beethoven
An excellent book about a man many know little about except for his music. Anyone would be fascinated to learn about this lock of hair, taken the day after He died, where it traveled and how it revealed so much about Beethoven’s life and health. Why did he have terrible stomach pain, headaches, mood swings, etc?
This little story will give you the answer.
Enjoy!
Mollymc
My three stars has more to do with my expectations of what this book was about. I expected a novel and instead got information that I wasn't really interested in. Still, its a fascinating story of the journey of Beethoven's hair and I will now listen to his music with a different awareness and appreciation.
Diane Althoff
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
First half was difficult to follow. Lots of jumping around in time periods within the same chapter. More of a scholarly research paper approach than a novel, which should have been evident from the title. Lots of facts, specific names, locations, etc. However, the information about WWII and the forensics was very interesting in the second half of the book.
Michele
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book that was recommended to me and one I would have easily picked up after reading the cover. In short, this is my jam. History. Science. I love it. It starts off on a good note but ultimately the writer lacks the literary flair to transform historical fact into something deliciously readable. Try Mark Kurlansky or Russell Shorto if you wanna love learning something.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Play Book Tag: Beethoven's Hair, by Russell Martin, 3 stars 5 17 Sep 08, 2019 01:28PM

• Beethoven: The Universal Composer
  • Silence: Lectures and Writings
  • The Ninth: Beethoven and the World in 1824
  • The Cello Suites
  • Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician
  • Stradivari's Genius: Five Violins, One Cello, and Three Centuries of Enduring Perfection
  • The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy
  • Indivisible by Four: A String Quartet in Pursuit of Harmony
  • The Return of the Great Brain (The Great Brain, #6)
  • The Great Brain Is Back (The Great Brain, #8)
“only my art held me back. Ah, it seemed impossible to leave the world until I had produced all that I felt was within me, and so I spared this wretched life.” 0 likes
“Two decades later, Ferdinand Hiller had proposed in a long essay—published in a special issue of the magazine Salon that celebrated Beethoven’s centenary—precisely where the light of his genius shone most brightly. He had concluded that the fundamental brilliance of the master’s music was that it achieved softness without weakness, enthusiasm without hollowness, longing without sentimentality, passion without madness. He is deep but never turgid, pleasant but never insipid, lofty but never bombastic. In the expression of love, fervent, tender, overflowing, but never with ignoble sensuality. He can be cordial, cheerful, joyful to extravagance, to excess—never to vulgarity. In the deepest suffering he does not lose himself—he triumphs over it. . . . More universal effects have been achieved by others, but none more deep or noble. No, we may say without exaggeration that never did an artist live whose creations were so truly new—his sphere was the unforeseen.” 0 likes