Start by marking “On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)” as Want to Read:
On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)

On Thin Ice (Ice #6)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,869 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
Published September 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about On Thin Ice, please sign up.

Lauren The books are loosely linked through the heroes who all work for the same organization. Although the various plots are standalone, there are spoilers…moreThe books are loosely linked through the heroes who all work for the same organization. Although the various plots are standalone, there are spoilers for earlier books in later ones so I would read in order. (less)

Alex is The Romance Fox
Synopsis:
Elizabeth Pennington has come to the war-torn South American country of Callivera to volunteer at a tiny mission. Kidnapped by the local rebels who are more interested in ransom than politics, she ends up at their camp in the Andes where she meets Finn MacGowan, member of the infamous Committee, a covert organization dedicated to destroying terrorism. MacGowan has been held hostage for almost three years, and he's chosen the night she arrives as the night he plans to escape. When he doe
Shawna
Oct 01, 2011 Shawna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Anne Stuart, dangerous heroes, & dark romantic suspense
Shelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, romantic-suspense, i-read-own-faves-keepers, format-ebook, author-anne-stuart-kristina-douglas, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, favorite-romance-series, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, series-ice-fire, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, exotic-wild-settings-survivor-lovin, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, wager, hero-gambler, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, assassin-hitman, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, hh-warrior, i-read-kindle, kindle, 2011-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2011, 5-stars, steam-3-hot, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, hero-brooding, hero-walking-hardon, heroine-heiress-socialite, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, controversial-memorable-event-scene, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, editing-nightmare, heroine-miss-independent, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, action-packed, violence-reader-discretion-advised, hero-dark
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Awesome read! Finally another ICE book and it delivered! With exotic locales, nonstop action, edge-of-your-seat danger, knuckle-gripping suspense, uber nasty villains, an unforgettably sexy, ruthless Irish hero, a heroine who manages a minimal amount of whining for such extreme and violent situations, hot sexual tension, and steamy romance, On Thin Ice is definitely a must read for fans of Anne Stuart’s ICE series and dark romantic suspense! My only quibble is that the
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This is the best f*cking book ever!!
Anne Stuart, you are the greatest!!!!
Kathleen
Feb 25, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this wonderful romantic adventure. Set in rain forests, with a kidnapping / escape trope, a secret agent, and a heiress, it brings to mind Linda Howard's Midnight Rainbow and -- to less extent -- Heart of Fire . It's reminiscent of Stuart's The Soldier And The Baby, and Lovelace's Night of the Jaguar (in e-book Dangerous to Hold). All these titles have "jungle love" escape plots, with an earthy bad-boy.

I ♥ this book. Love. It. However, because of some quibbles, listed last, I ca
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️

March 2, 2016 Audio Book review:

photo 5ae020b0bd3ce802ee52bdb758d240be_zpsvpc0wnc6.jpg

5 Killing Stars!!

Heiress Elizabeth “Beth” Pennington has come to war-torn South American country of Callivera to volunteer at a small rural mission. The Mission is invaded by the local rebels who kill the Padre and Nuns, and kidnap Beth for ransom…..among other things. Finn MacGowan is a member of “The Committee" and has been a prisoner there for almost three years, the reason that he has been kept alive for as long as he has is a mystery….even to him.

On Thin Ice photo PicsArt_1456981903725_zpsdnhj1e1s.jpg

He has p
Crista
Why on earth does this author have the ability to leave me with a silly grin on my face while I replay countless scenes from the book in my head, which inadvertently prohibits me from moving on to my next book? I guess with this question, all roads lead to Rome, which is obviously this author's unique, awesome, and unparalleled talent.

On Thin Ice was an unexpected gift as I thought that Fire And Ice was the final chapter in the ICE series. Now instead of being grateful and satisfied, I find myse
Jane Stewart
Weak on motivations. Too much telling no showing. But good for emotional appeal and sensuality. It may fit your mood.

This was supposed to be romantic suspense. But the suspense was off stage. It was told more than shown. For example. Barringer (the main bad guy) was too conveniently all knowing. Finn was kidnaped and held for three years in the South American mountains. How would Barringer know that Finn would escape now and go to specific towns? How did he know Finn was planning to stay a few d
Diana
Adding to my audio shelf. Narrator Xe Sands nailed it. Finn's Irish accent is lovely and lyrical yet studly and, did I mention sexy? I'm so glad she didn't make him sound like a wee leprechaun.

I LOVED this. Finn is Irish and cheeky and adorable. He was trying to be an Anne Stuart bad boy, but he just couldn't pull it off.

Great book, great narration. I'll take Anne Stuart and Xe Sands any day.
Gamatst
Dec 05, 2011 Gamatst rated it it was amazing
ETA - My wish was granted! On Thin Ice will be coming out as an audiobook, and it scored the same narrator as Fire and Ice, I'll be a very happy listener after having been a happy reader the first time around.

An author I've read for more years than I can count - can you say Catspaw I and II? And then there are the fabulous Moonrise and Nightfall?

She brought us Black Ice, with a hero nearly cold enough to give you frost bite, until you get to know him of course - to the outrageous Reno with Jilly
Melanie
5+++++ stars for 'On Thin Ice'

5 gazillion stars for the whole dang series!!

What a thrilling end to an amazing series!! I'm so glad Anne Stuart decided to save Finn McGowan from his three-year captivity in South America. It was hellish and grueling, but I think Finn would agree everything he endured was worth it the end - because it led him to Beth, the love of his life.

Everything in this one was pretty darn perfect! Finn is a more than worthy Ice-guy who (grudgingly!) steps up to play the hero
Yvonne
Oct 02, 2011 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. It is now my favorite Anne Stuart book. I have no idea how I'm going to follow up this book!
Finn! Wow Finn, probably the best hero I've read in a very long time. Just absolutely everything I want from a romance hero. I'm heading to bed a happy reader! LOL
MBR
Anne Stuart announced about the release of the On Thin Ice, the 6th book in the ICE series when I had long given up hope that there would ever be another book in the 5-star series that I had enjoyed immensely from the minute I picked up Black Ice. For me, Anne Stuart is one of a kind; an author who manages to deliver heroes in a league of their own, passion that absolutely scorches through the pages and a love when it comes, binds the hero and heroine for all time to come. And On Thin Ice turned ...more
A. Bookzilla.
Still coming down from the high that was this book. Finn MacGowan in South America, I wanted to read about you ever since you went missing in Ice Storm! I just knew you'd be a treat. Brilliant.

It stands out from other ICE books simply because the hero is different in so many ways than the other heroes of this series, and it's missing that "how about we kill all innocents that get in our way, and while we're at it, I like you but I'd kill you, too!" element.

Finn is resourceful, intelligent, and y
Duchess Nicole
Oct 24, 2011 Duchess Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense readers who love barely redeemable heroes
I have yet to meet an Anne Stuart book that I don't like. This is the final installment of the Ice series, which truly breaks my heart. Ms. Stuart writes in such a way that I really think that I could read on to book forty and still get a fresh new hero and heroine.

While this one was slightly shorter than her other Ice novels, (200 pages on my reader), I wouldn't call it novella length. It certainly felt like a full length book.

McGowan has been missing for three years, being held captive by a c
FeliciaKaren

“You’re sure you’re not a sister?” he tossed back at her, his voice little more than a growl on the night air.

She was closer than he thought, making decent enough headway on the steep hill. “I’m an only child.”

Stupid, he thought. “I’m asking if you’re a holy nun.”

“I told you, I’m not a nun, holy or otherwise.”

Okay, she met the criteria for fuckable.

********************

MacGowan was better at cheating than she was, Beth realized in no time at all. All her machinations got her exactly nowhere. If
Maria_Love_For_Books
Jan 18, 2015 Maria_Love_For_Books rated it it was amazing

You can see the following review also here: https://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.c...

Another great book in this series! But they told me that this is the last one in this series? Is that true?? I hope not! This series is definitely one of the best contemporary I’ve ever read! Non-stop action, badass men, traveling all over the world and some of the hottest sex scenes ever!

In this story we get to know what happened to Finn MacGowan (we knew that he was missing) and how he met Beth Pennington. He w
PepperP0t
Humanitarian heiress Elizabeth 'Beth' Pennington is a volunteer teacher in war torn semi-stable Callivera. One night the priest and older women Beth works with at the compound are murdered and she's captured by rebels seeking ransom. After a hike through the mountain jungles she's tossed into a cell with an 'Englishman' while their captors try to outwit each other to see who she will belong to.

For some unknown reason the rebels have held the 'Englishman' and he's surprised when Beth is tossed i
Pamela(AllHoney)
The sixth addition to Anne Stuart's exciting Ice series. Heiress Beth Pennington was kidnapped by rebels in the small South American mission where she is teaching English. Finn MacGowan has been held by these same rebels for the last 3 years and decided it was time to plan another escape. He certainly doesn't want the added burden of Sister Beth along for the ride. He has already agreed to help two others escape with him. But Beth is determined not to stay behind, especially when it is obvious w ...more
Mareli
Apr 15, 2015 Mareli rated it really liked it
well, this last one was good, too! Another good heroine with some backbone and the hero was not so bad, when he met her he didn't try to kill her on spot! (Well, later he tried to left her in the hands of their abductors, but hey, you can have everyting, right?)

So, they met as captives and when he escaped he sort of take her with him (after the promise of a huge amount of money) and during their escape the things developed.

All in all I cannot say I loved this series so much. I think it missed th
Brittany B.
Tentative 4 stars. Might change to 5.
I really liked this book. I would have better reading this one right after Fire and Ice. I may listen to the lovely voice of Xe Sands again soon. I was interrupted too many times to get into the story as much as I normally do.

Despite all the interruptions, I enjoyed this plot and was riveted to the end. I don't feel like I connected with the characters, and that's why I want to reread it...

Highly recommended. Audio version is exceptional!
willaful
I suspect that if I had read this in print, it might have come across as a bit same old/same old, but a really excellent narration kept it fresh and exciting. Terrific accents, very sensual sex scenes. The hero is somewhat less dark than usual for this series; as Diana said, he wants to be bad, but he can't quite make it.
-Ya
5 stars for the hero
4 stars for the heroine
4 stars for the romance

Noelle
I have Love the whole ICE series and when I heard that she wrote another one I bought it right away. And I'm soooo glad I did. I loved this book and I wish I had chosen to read it on a month that wasn't so darn busy, it's one that I wanted to curl up on the couch with and not put down until it was done. But no such luck, I k.ow that I will reread it soon though.

Beth (h) is a very wealthy woman but she was also very lonely. Her parents are both gone,she has no other family and she's never been g
Lauren
Dec 24, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
On Thin Ice
4 Stars

Finn MacGowan has been held captive in South America for the last three years. On the night that he finally has an opportunity to escape, his captors arrive with a new hostage, heiress Elizabeth Pennington. Now Finn finds himself on the run with the beautiful blond and an obnoxious teen. Can the three make it back to safety with the ruthless rebels and a host of secret operatives on their tail?

The final installment in Stuart’s Ice series has all the traits of the earlier books
Ruth
For some completely inexplicable reason, this one was lurking on my kindle, unread and forgotten. A bit like MacGowan really. Until I found it after a re-read of the other Ice series books, and it made me realise just how much I bloody well love the books this author writes.

There's action, there's great characters (and not just the hero and heroine either), there's solid plots, there's absolutely fabulous dialogue, there's just enough sexy bits to maintain interest (but not too much to make it t
Maqluba
I really enjoyed this book. This is one of those rare books where I like the heroine much more than the hero. She seemed supremely strong emotionally in the face of all the violence surrounding her- even her breakdowns are very well done and made me want to cry right along with her.
The hero wasn't really special to me so I feel a little let down BUT the banter between them is very spot on. Their back and forth dialogue was so enjoyable to read and I definitely wasn't letdown in that department.
Susan (the other Susan)
Delicious Finn McGowan is the easiest Ice man to love, so I can confidently recommend him to readers who are leery of the cold-hearted, murder-y heroes in this steamy series. He even shows a hint of softness in his first meeting with the heroine, which is remarkable. Mind you, he's still bad to the bone (and such a bone!) but there was never a moment when I thought the heroine should hit him over the head with a crowbar... One thing I really liked about On Thin Ice is that(view spoiler) ...more
Taria Reed
I LOVED FINN!!! No really, Finn was such a sweetheart even though I knew he was a trained killer. I thought the story was so good. I loved that this book was never about him killing her, it was always about him protecting her and wanting her. What am I saying, of course he wanted "Sister" Beth, after all, it's been THREE YEARS....lol.

Story - 4.5
Narrator - 4

Xe gave a solid performance again. She gave Finn the sexiest Irish lilt I can imagine a woman pulling off. You go girl! I think I have a girl
Nikki ♥
Oct 09, 2011 Nikki ♥ rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It was just as good as the rest in the series if not better. A little hard to compare since it's been a while since I've read Fire And Ice.

It's nonstop action and suspense. Just as soon as you are getting a chance to breathe something else happens.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone following the series.
Bobbie
Mar 05, 2013 Bobbie rated it it was amazing
Agggghhhh, I DO NOT want this series to end. Anne Stuart is a master and with Xe Sands as the narrator, I could listen forever. Ms. Stuart, please tell me this series is not over!
Farewell Peter Madsen... 3 28 Dec 16, 2014 08:59AM
Anne Stuart Fans: On Thin Ice (Ice Series Book #5) 5 22 Jun 30, 2013 07:08PM
  • Wild Encounter
  • Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Best Man
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • River of Eden
  • Skin Tight (Skin, #2)
  • Wild Orchids
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Midnight Run (Midnight, #2)
  • Cullen's Bride
  • When One Night Isn't Enough (Madrin Memorial Hospital, #1)
  • Falling Hard
  • Worth the Trip
  • Breaking The Rules
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • The Dragon and the Pearl (Tang Dynasty, #2)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart...

Ice (6 books)
  • Black Ice (Ice, #1)
  • Cold As Ice (Ice, #2)
  • Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Fire And Ice (Ice, #5)

“(Beth) “You can’t leave me behind!”
“I can and I will, if I have to break your neck to keep you from following me.”
“I’d like to see you try.”
“No, you wouldn’t.” His voice was flat, unemotional, but even in the darkness she could see the faint flicker in his eyes. She looked behind her, at the crumpled body of the pot smoking soldier, his head at an odd angle, his eyes open and staring.
“Oh, God,” she whispered, horrified. What had seemed a strange kind of nightmare was suddenly, terribly real. “Did you kill him?”
“No, the tooth fairy came along and took care of him.”
6 likes
“He halted abruptly, and this time she did slam into him, but at least it was his back absorbing the blow of her soft body. He could pretend to ignore it. “What have you got on your feet?” he growled.
“Shoes.”
He looked down, his eyes accustomed to the inky black. Light-weight sneakers, already soaking wet from the damp undergrowth. “Christ, woman,” he muttered.
“I didn’t exactly get a chance to choose my wardrobe when they kidnapped me,” she said.
Damned if he didn’t like her.”
5 likes