Start by marking “The Brontë Collection” as Want to Read:
The Brontë Collection
Emily Brontë

The Brontë Collection

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,113 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The Bronte Collection. Includes Jane Eyre, The Professor, Shirley, Villette, Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey, Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Cottage Poems and more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Brontë Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brontë Collection

~Nadia~♥ sometimes, you gotta pretend everythings okay♥i sleep to escape from reality♥~
Wuthering Heights

Out of the three books, this took me the longest to read, and was the one I liked the least. It was very violent, and the way they interacted with each other kind of put me off. Heathcliff is so vengeful, I have no idea what Catherine saw in him.

Jane Eyre

I could not put this down, I loved it so much. I had read an abridged version, and a modern version, Jane, which was really good, and made me want to read the actual book. I liked Mr. Rochester, though he did seem a bit crazy, l
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I had to buy this version of the book for class and it had all three novels packed in together I'm just going to give a short and sweet review for each.

Jane Eyre - Jane is everything! On my second reading I realized that Mr. Rochester isn't really that romantic, he shows signs of manipulation and his subterfuge with Bertha is the biggest red flag in all of literature. The weirdest part is that I still felt very drawn to Mr. Rochester and still considered him a dream boat and I was warring
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hormis "Jane Eyre" qui reste, selon moi l'œuvre littéraire la plus merveilleuse qui soit, j'avoue avoir eu beaucoup de mal avec "Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent". Malheureusement, l'envoûtement n'a pas opéré sur moi... Quant à "Agnès Grey", celle-ci fut, toutefois, plaisante à découvrir.
Lilly Lee
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection to read as relaxing in bed. Must read classics.
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel continues to be one of my lifetime favorites. I have read it several times before, but this is the first time in the new century. Many people have commented on reading this novel; almost one hundred years ago Virginia Woolf wrote about an exhilaration she felt (a feeling which I share) of reading the opening scenes of the novel:
"There is nothing there more perishable than the moor itself, or more subject to the sway of fashion than the "long and lamentable blast." Nor is this exhilara
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, quick read. Agnes grew up with her father as a clergyman of the north of England and a mother who walked away from the wealth of a family to marry. After Agnes’ father lost their savings in a business adventure, Agnes is employed as a governess. The story relates her experience while being a governess for the Bloomfields' and then the Murray family.

This story is written first person, journal style. So it is full of musings, deliberations and dreams.

A few of my favorite passages:
“I h
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, you always hear the classics being referred to, but often when you sit down to read them, they are not always so great. Jane Eyre was the exception!!!! I absolutely loved it, got totally caught up in it. A little slow to start, but necessary character building in the beginning. Jane is a worthy heroine with strong moral principles, but still has her weaknesses to overcome. I couldn't put this one down and when I had to, I was thinking about it constantly. I also love the style of writing and ...more
Wuthering Heights :-

For many this epitomises a love story, as love really is. One may decide to be prudent, to marry well and suitably, but when your heart is given it will not follow the diktats of mind and society, however much one reigns it in. Short of raising consciousness and rising above there might not be a way out.

Cathy and Heathcliff epitomise tortured love that cannot let go and will not let social structure or healthy relations dictate heart. They seem to be bound by more than heart
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
These past two days I have reviewed Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey, by Charlotte and Anne Bronte. I just wanted to take a moment to note the wonderful edition that I read them from. This large (but not too large) volume contains Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Agnes Grey. This was definitely a good book for me, containing all three. Since I really enjoyed Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, I wanted to have my own copy of each book, and I was very happy when I discovered this volume from Penguin Classi ...more
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Jane Eyre and as this was my second read-through of it, I still found it just as engaging and wonderful of a story (if not a little long-winded at times). However, I gave this book two stars because Jane Eyre is as far as my enjoyment went. Wuthering Heights, though interesting enough, has to be one of the most most dramatic books I've ever read. The few main characters are so dramatic over everything I couldn't help but be annoyed as I was reading it. I can't say I regret reading it but ...more
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Agnes Grey ended a bit abruptly and predictably, but it was a sweet story with insights into 19th century society, expectations of relationships, and what it means to live a life doing God's work. Anne Bronte's writing style in Agnes Grey most prominently showed that she was the daughter of a curate.

Overall, the three novels were a wonderful read. I remain quite vexed with the discordant and dysfunctional relationships of Wuthering Heights while admiring the writing. Perhaps I just need someo
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In recent time, The Bronte Sisters have become one of my favourite classic authors. The entire history and story behind the women themselves is what intrigued me to give first Wuthering Heights, then ane Eyre a chance and each time I am left amazed. Though I have yet to read Agnes Grey by the last Bronte sister I hope to one day. Though they were written around the same time, by sisters years apart then spent many times together Wuthering Heights and ane Eyre could not be more different. Both no ...more
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre - not bad, but a bit too lengthy considering the fairly simple plot. That was what I thought at 14, and my opinion did not change upon re-reading this at 20.

Wuthering Heights - the best of the three. I'd give it 5 stars were it the only novel in the book. Heathcliffe is definitely the antihero one loves to hate!

Agnes Grey - 1 star from me. Laborious to read, and not as rewarding as Jane Eyre which, despite its tiresome length, does have its highlights.
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection to have. Paperback, lightweight, reasonable size, and three great stories.
I am especially glad of the order in which they placed the works. The emotional turmoil of Wuthering Heights followed by the heartbreak of Jane Eyre and the (somewhat) more subdued love story of Agnes Grey. It's nice, and none too jarring to move from one tale to the next, if read straight through.
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It all started when the teacher said in class: "each one of you chose a book to read in spring break" and i was the only one of 29 students in my class that chose this book (maybe because i am the only one in my class the actually reads!!). And i didn't regret not even a little tinny bit! truly epic!
Katja Nielsen
It was delightful to have the Brontë Sisters' novels collected like this. It is amazing what difference there is between them, but they are all wonderful in their own way.
Jane Eyre was dramatic, romantic and overflowing with descriptions of nature. Withering Heights was dark, twisted, but still moving. Agnes Grey was quiet and sweet. Very different books, but still great, wonderful books.
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to re-read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, and I had never even heard of Agnes Grey--much less have read it. Interesting account of a much put-upon governess by the least-known of the Bronte sisters.
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics-read
Five stars for both Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey; three stars for Wuthering Heights. I would have loved a longer introduction as well, but as this edition is so pretty to look at, I can't be too displeased.
Feb 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Jane Eyre and just finished Wuthering Heights. I am taking a hiatus from the 18th century and will read Agnes Grey at a later date. Hopefully the third Bronte sister will not have such a gloomy tale to unfold as did her preceding sisters.
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jane Erye was my favorite and I would give it 5 stars. Wuthering Hights was my second favorite and I would give it 4 stars. Agnes Grey is ok but is very short and I would give it 3 stars.
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this novel.
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my summer reading when I was in high school and I read it again in my 20s
Nov 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I read it. Liked it. Not as much as P&P, but a good read if you're in the mood for a romantic period piece.
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I longed for discussion concerning so many things that intrigued me. How is it possible I missed reading this in school? Reader, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Shokufeh شکوفه  Kavani کاوانی
The Cruelty of humans to each other and the strenght of human nature.........
Finally finished 3 stories I'm pretty sure I was supposed to read in University, but just watched the movies!
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 100 pages or so were a bit hard to get through because of the hardships of Jane Eyre, but after that, it was great.
Jane Eyre: ★★★★★
Wuthering Heights: ★★★★
Agnes Grey: ★★★
Anna Allen
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little disappointed in Jane Eyre, but I adored Wuthering Heights. I have yet to read Agnes Grey.
  • Aesop's Illustrated Fables
  • Classic American Short Stories
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Jules Verne Seven Novels
  • Classic Fairy Tales
  • The Wizard of Oz: The First Five Novels
  • The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
  • The Little Girls
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Fairy Tales From Around the World
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Painted Shadow: The Life of Vivienne Eliot, First Wife of T. S. Eliot
  • Deadman Switch
  • David Goodis: Five Noir Novels of the 1940s and 50s
Emily Jane Brontë was a British novelist and poet, now best remembered for her only novel Wuthering Heights, a classic of English literature. Emily was the second eldest of the three surviving Brontë sisters, being younger than Charlotte Brontë and older than Anne Brontë. She published under the masculine pen name Ellis Bell.

Emily was born in Thornton, near Bradford in Yorkshire to Patrick Brontë
More about Emily Brontë...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“The clock strikes off the hollow half-hours of all the life that is left to you, one by one.” 9 likes
“Yes Mrs Reed, to you i owe some fearful pangs of mental suffering, but i ought to forgive you, for you knew not what you did while rendering my heart strings, you thought you were only uprooting your bad propensities.” 5 likes