Start by marking “How to Babysit a Grandpa” as Want to Read:
How to Babysit a Grandpa

How to Babysit a Grandpa

A New York Times bestselling picture book -- from the creators of the hilarious HOW TO... series -- about a child spending time with his grandpa. Written in a how-to style, the narrator gives important tips for "babysitting" a grandpa, including what to eat for snack (anything dipped in ketchup, ice cream topped with cookies, cookies topped with ice cream), what to do on a ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Babysit a Grandpa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Babysit a Grandpa

Dorine
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, children
This is a very cute book that we bought our grand-daughter for her birthday. The look on her face when she read the title was precious and she giggled as she read it. I can see this one becoming a favorite. I'm sure my husband will get even with me by getting the "How to Babysit a Grandma" book next.
Kara Belden
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delaney - "twenty hundred stars because it's funny!"
Read  Ribbet
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Probably a better book for home than school but a whimsical fun book about a boy and his grandpa and what they like to do together. Nice book for inter-generational themes. Written in part as a set of tips which could be a good mentor text for writing similar texts.
Colby Sharp
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-graphic
Super cute book. I see a lot of grandmas buying this book for their grandchildren.
Brindi Michele
This book is awesome! Love the layout and the story line....definitely a fun book for story time.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
So fun! I can totally see my son and his Grandpa enjoying this book together.
JennE
"Babysitting a Grandpa is fun-- if you know how." When Grandpa rings the doorbell, what should you do? HIDE!" This fun books describes all the important points for babysitting Grandpas. "How to" tips include stay quiet like pretending to be a shark waiting for dinner, appropriate snacks for Grandpa such as "anything dipped in ketchup" and how to entertain a grandpa by putting on a scary play, somersaulting across the room and showing off your muscles. Finally, "how to say goodbye to a Grandpa" b ...more
Kate
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Cute picture book written from the perspective of a little boy who’s grandpa comes over when the little boy’s parents go out so that the little boy can “babysit” grandpa.
Sam
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was cute, but not quite as cute as the Grandma book. I still really enjoyed it and hope that my future father-in-law and my niece will enjoy reading it together.
Kay Mcgriff
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what every kid needs to know before taking on the job of babysitting grandpa. It is chock-filled with advice on how to hide and stay quiet (pretend you're a shark waiting for lunch) to entertaining the big guy (put on a scary play) to saying goodbye (give him a picture you've drawn and lots of hugs and kisses). I can't wait to give this one to my nephew on our birthday celebration during vacation.
John
Dec 26, 2015 added it
Shelves: children-s
My 2 and 1/2 year old grandson gave this to me as a Christmas present with a little help from my daughter. A cute read that had me laughing out loud. I loved some of the lines including the grandchild's response when PaPa (my grandson's name for me) rings the doorbell, which is to, "Hide!" Other lines I identified with (my grandson must have read the book before giving it to me) including snacks for PaPa and how to entertain me.
Susan Kennedy
From two reflective teachers
How to Babysit a Grandpa by Jean Reagan would be a great mentor text for students learning to write "All About" or "How to" books, since there are instructions and bulleted lists on almost every page. This book is another resource for teaching students that sometimes they have more in their bag of writing topics than they think they do!
Alexandra
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super cute. Really enjoyed this one as well as the one on how to babysit a grandma. Loved the cozy illustrations and fun ideas about how to keep your grandpa entertained and safe! This book will be great for teaching kids to be responsible and think of others, not just themselves. I think every kid and their grandpa should read this together and do some of the fun activities :)
Maria Burel
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How to Babysit a Grandpa is exactly what it sounds like: a handy, dandy how-to guide for surviving an afternoon with those need-to-be-kept-busy charges. Survival tips include such important areas as snacks, what to do on walks, how to entertain, and how to wake sleeping grandpas. The childlike perspective is both humorous and, in the end, touching. ...more
Kristen Rigau
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book How to Babysit A Grandpa written by Jean Reagan is about a young boy and his grandpa. In this particular story, the average roles of a grandpa and his grandson are reversed. In the beginning, it is shown that the grandpa is coming over to play and the boy immediately says, “Babysitting a grandpa is fun-if you know how.” From that sentence, you are then aware what the book is going to be about. They first begin by playing hide and seek, then the parents leave the house and the grandson i ...more
Ben Truong
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
How to Babysit a Grandpa is a children's picture book written by Jean Reagan and illustrated by Lee Wildish, which tells a story about points and tips on how to babysit one's grandfather. Today is Grandparents' Day (9 September 2018) – at least it is in my part of the world, so I thought it would be apropos to read this book.

Reagan's text is rather simple and straightforward. It is a story about how to entertain one's grandfather when he comes over to babysit you or rather you babysit him. It is
Sophie Klockow
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-438
Summary: This story is similar to that of Jean Reagan's "How to babysit a grandma" but is about a little boy, instead of a little girl, providing instructions for properly babysitting one's grandfather instead of grandmother, such as offering him tasty treats and entertaining him with special games.
Connections: My Poppy or grandpa always loved to play games and eat sweet treats.
How you would use it: I probably wouldn't use this in my classroom unless a student mentioned something special about t
Bree
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary

In this story, a little boy tells us how to properly babysit a grandpa. This includes what to eat for snack, what to do on a walk, how to play with grandpa, and how to put grandpa to sleep for nap time. Then they must clean up their mess and say goodbye to grandpa with a hug and a kiss and ask “when can I babysit you again?”

Activity

With a partner, think of activities and adventures you would like to go on while babysitting your Grandpa/Grandma. Think of what you would like to have for sn
Maya Gutierrez
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This easy to read picture book is about a little boy who takes the roll of a babysitter to take care of his grandpa when his parents leave. Throughout the book the little boy, who is also the narrator, plays with his grandpa, takes him for a walk, makes him take a nap, and even has him clean up before Mom and Dad come home. This is an adorable book for kids to read to make them feel no so young when being babysat by a relative. When I was reading this I couldn’t help to think about some of my su ...more
The Reading Countess
Adorable. Concrete way to teach perspective.
This helpful guide for the enterprising and thoughtful kid includes tips on:
-how to be quiet
-snack suggestions
-activities to do while on a walk
-ways to entertain
-how to play
-how to handle nap time
-how to say goodbye
This guide for kids curious about the best ways to fill a grandpa’s day is equal parts hilarious and clever. It’d be fun to brainstorm alternative ideas like how to babysit a grandma, which, coincidentally, there is now a published versi
Dana Thomas
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book about a grandson "babysitting" his grandpa. It's a clever book and pretty true to what happens in our family when our parents watch the grandkids. Love to see my parents interact with my children and how my children react.

I would have liked to see something a bit more gender neutral but understand it's a boy with his grandpa. But what about a girl with HER grandpa? Maybe another book is in store?
Maddie
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious, as it takes the concept of a child being babysat and flips it on its head from the perspective of a little grandson. Adorably the child goes through all the proper steps of "babysitting grandpa" which are all traditional activities from the perspective of an adult reader. Much of the story-telling is told through the great illustrations that playfully match the text.
Shirley
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Babysit a Grandpa was a gift for my husband's birthday from the grandkids. We can't wait until they come to visit so we can ask them to read it to us. The illustrations are bright and funny. The text brought smiles to grandpa and granny's faces as we read it upon its arrival. Jean Reagan's book makes a terrific gift. I promise you won't be disappointed.
Sam Sheely
How to Babysit a Grandpa was a very cute book that can be tied into many subjects. Obviously reading, but you can also do writing activities with it and also math activities. This book also introduces them to "how to.." books. This book would be a great addition to any library.
AnneMarie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book. My daughter and my dad aka her grandpa I swear are best friends. I read the book to her tonight and I can very much see them doing this in the future. So many cute ideas and just dead honest ways to have fun with grandpa without any cost just pure love and joy.
Mark Roossinck
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I got this from my grandson for Christmas. It left a smile on my face! I simple and cute illustrative story book on how to spoil a grand child as the grandfather invests his energy in spending fun time with his grand child.
Andria Davis
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book written from a little boy's perspective on how to babysit his grandpa. It explains the whole evening of things to do with him as you are babysitting

I thought this book was very cute. I liked the story, I thought it was funny and the pictures are very colorful.

(Picture Book)
Linda
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute and creatively written. This author is very good at reversing the child/adult roles. Illustrations are funny and beautifully done. This series of "how to" books are very entertaining and fun to read to a child.
Annabel Rodriguez
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(review by 6 yo)

It was hilarious. A kid's not supposed to babysit a grandpa and a grandpa is supposed to babysit a kid. Until Mom and Dad came back, they had fun. My favorite part was when they were playing a game where they can't touch the floor because sharks will eat your toes.
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, kids-books, fiction
This book was really cute. I found it funny how grandpa did things a little more wildly than grandma in How to Babysit a Grandma.
In the classroom 2 4 Nov 11, 2014 09:24PM

• Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos
  • I Like Old Clothes
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
  • A Kiss Means I Love You
Jean Reagan lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband, Peter, and daughter, Jane. Their beloved son and brother, John, died in 2005. Born in Alabama, Jean spent most of her childhood in Japan. Since graduting from Earlham College, she has worked as a community organizer, a union activist, and a writer. She cherishes her years as a full-time mother when she also worked at her children's public ...more