Start by marking “Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential” as Want to Read:

Based on the premise that accountants often make finance unnecessarily confusing, this guide helps small business owners see beyond the numbers. It shows the reader how to use key financial indicators as a basis for smart business decisions, with a focus on companies in the range between start-up and $5 million in revenue.
Published August 1st 2011 by Greenleaf Book Group (first published July 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!

Hayden
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I wish I had this book earlier in my business life as it talks directly to the biggest mistakes I made with finance in my first, now failed company. He is a straight talking writer who makes you look at yourself and stop lying about how well you think you are doing, and actually gives you the simple and proven ways to make sure you are on the right track. While the book is about finances mostly, he does talk about culture, hiring staff, and co-founders. I think it's a must read for anyone in bus ...more
Bartosz Majewski
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
If I'd read this book 18 months ago before I started Casbeg I probably wouldn't get the brilliance of this book. But maybe, 6 months after we've started the company would be the right time.

The title says it like it is. It's simple. It's around profits and other business metrics. And it's a very down-to-earth approach for a down-to-earth businessman and women.

If you feel like you suck at finance and feel that P&L, Profit statements, and balance sheets are way too complicated and overwhelming
Nick
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for any entrepreneur attempting to start or run a small business. I wish I had read it 17 years ago when I started my company. Hopefully, it's not too late, now that I know how to look at the numbers intelligently -- and what numbers to look at. Essential for financial survival, especially post-2008, for all small business owners.
Mike
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits! - This is a fantastic book for understanding your numbers as a business owner. The author does a great job of providing tactics and direction for navigating topics like valuing the business, labor productivity, taxes, forecasting, and much more. The book is 177 pages long (not a single one wasted) and each chapter ends with a summary of key concepts. There are several charts and graphs for visual representation and a few situational examples to give yo ...more
David Skinner
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Crabtree has many interesting insights regarding selling a business, understanding the valuation for business, and key financial indicators that monitor the health of a company. He is an accountant and I am not, so some of the concepts and examples were over my head - but for anyone seeking to have a better financial understanding of their business, this is a great resource.
Dunrie
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I'm enjoying this book - it is straight talk indeed, and definitely a "solve simply" book for leaders of entrepreneurial and growing companies in the <$5Million/year revenue range.

Giving me lots to think about.
Dale
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Helped me understand how to make sense of the financial side of my business. I devoured this book after attending a seminar taught by a partner at the author's firm. I highly recommend this to any small business owner with 2+ employees.
Luke Gruber
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an UNBELIEVABLE book for business owners or executive management (1-5 million in sales companies). Author is an accountant and explains methodologies and metrics to help monitor and run a company. Very practical and brilliant. Every company has metrics they monitor to help fuel success, but he offers other metrics that are simple but very telling in regards to the health of a company. I loved this book.
Jay Buys
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. I really wish I would've had this book 11 years ago when I started my business. It's a fantastic overview of all the things you'll hear from your accountant (you do have a good accountant, yes?) in terms that are easy for non-finance folks to understand. Definitely a great read for any small business owner or entrepreneur.
Glenn Burnside
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tore through this over the weekend to get caught up on some fundamentals while working on some forecasting and modeling work. Was worth it. It gets a little thin at the end on forecasting, but I appreciate the key idea there - "Budgets are permission to spend. Forecasts are permission to turn a profit."
Kunal Pande
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book, Easy Read and Simple concepts which are often overlooked

Simple and easy to understand book. As a small business owner myself, I could understand and relate with the importance of the simple things which are often overlooked in business.
Franciszek
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Good book, little too simplistic. I think even smaller business should have more complex attitude when it comes to finances.

Some ideas are really brillant though, but I've seen them earlier on "Scaling up", so maybe that's why it's not a five star review.
Nathan Palmer
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very straight-forward and well thought out book. If you're currently running a business I'd encourage you to apply his thinking against your business and see where it makes sense to change. We didn't agree with all of his recommendations, but there is a ton of value in those that we did.
Daniele
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
Great book, it helped me understanding the financial numbers that I never got right :) and fixing the mistakes. Easy to read, and the tables are easier to read on the complementary website simplenumbers.me
Kevin Hallenbeck
Really great way to simply how to think about the financials of any business. Well worth the read!
Vignesh Kumar
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highest-impact
Very Helpful

Very very helpful. I realized what I am doing wrong in my business and what I needed to do fix it.
KingKong
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jdn
Peter
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biz
Wonderful read! A MUST for anyone who runs a business.
Keri Holm
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read, easy to follow, clear examples and concrete tips and guidelines.
Joshua
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
JoshuasBookReviews

Disclaimer: I read this book in the form of a detail book summary via Blinkist

Just like the title says, the book is delivered in the same fashion: direct, practical and very useful.

The book primarily focuses on a business's account. How you should structure your numbers, what metrics to look out for, and generally how to budget your business are key takeaways in the book. If that's what you are looking to learn, then this book is for you.

Although I am from the business school, the book gave me
Khalid Sulami
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Take-Aways

If you’re a business owner, pay yourself a market-based salary.
Strive to make a pretax profit of between 10% and 15% of revenue.
Master the “four keys” to profitability: “the owner’s salary, profit, labor productivity” and “business physics.”
Pay your taxes; they show how well your business is doing. Instead of fixating on how much you owe in taxes, focus on building your business, and the numbers will follow.
High turnover is expensive, so be careful whom you hire and how you train them.
E
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Certified public accountant Greg Crabtree and business journalist Beverly Blair Harzog outline “four keys” to profitability and challenge American entrepreneurs and small-business owners to rethink their accounting practices. They show why proprietors should pay themselves a market-based salary, earn a pretax profit of at least 10% of revenue and derive the maximum productivity out of every dollar they spend on labor. This book has a strong US focus, especially regarding the US tax system, but i ...more
Jennifer Osbon
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I saw the first few chapters of this book presented seminar-style last week. I was inspired to sit down with my own company's numbers and read the book. Greg made it so easy to really see where we are and create a roadmap to get us where we want to be. His straight talk style takes all the "what about's..." and "but I want to's..." away and leaves us with nothing but simple truth and reality. Clarity is a powerful thing. It forces us to be honest about what we really want and holds us accountabl ...more
Eric St-Pierre
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to understand for someone who has 0 knowledge or whatsoever of numbers. It gives a great roadmap to understand what are the critical numbers you need to focus on in your business. Loved it, i have been doing numbers in my business for 10 years now, never had a training and pickup all the accounting skills on the go, and if I could have had read this book five years ago, I believe I would have changed a lot of bad decision. But live and learn is good too !
Alex Devero
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Maintaining profitability, avoiding debt and enhancing productivity are some of the prudent business practices that can help you increase profits and boost your company’s market valuation in the longer term.
Bryan
If I am still in business in fIve years, I will give this a five-star review.
deleted d
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
focus on profits. that's pretty much the book lol

Dan
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and clear

Might be the most useful business book il be read all year. So grateful for the clear explanation of concepts. .
Patrick "P.C."
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard Greg speak at the American Association of Political Consultants and he was amazing. It was great advice for starting my small business.
Brandon Carlson
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quick read with some unconventional wisdom such as "The more you pay in taxes the better your company is doing". Filled with practical advice for managing your business through the first 5 years.

• The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Thinking Statistically
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. —Thomas Edison” 2 likes