Start by marking “Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl” as Want to Read:
Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl

Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl

(Young American Voices #1)

In this first book in the Young American Voices series, young Rachel and her family travel by covered wagon following the Oregon Trail from Illinois all the way to California. The terrain is rough and the seven-month trip is filled with adventure--a surprise encounter with Indians, a thunderous buffalo stampede, even the perilous crossing of a flooded river. Rachel's own h ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rachel's Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel's Journal

Rosie
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
From the author of the "Amelia's Notebook" series, this historical fiction journal is written from the viewpoint of Rachel, a girl travelling to California with her family on the Oregon Trail. Rachel describes the adventures she has with eager excitement but also writes about the dangers of living on the trail, such as ferrying across rivers. Rachel's story combines the fictional events the characters experience with the historical locations and details of the Oregon Trail. There are also "souve ...more
Robin
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Well told story of a covered wagon journey from Illinois to California. Pages are densely covered with text in a font mimicking cursive. This may be challenging for younger readers and an obstacle to an increasing number of readers that have not been taught to read and write script.
Hope
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute book to read. Enjoyed showing this book to my young daughter to show about pioneer life.
Katherine Kapellen
I love that this book was written in a journal format and talked about real struggles of crossing the United States during the California gold rush.
Maureen
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a detailed chronicle of a young pioneer girl who travels from Illinois to California along the Oregon Trail. Filled with vivid descriptions of the pioneer experiences through a child's voice and vision. This book is an informative yet entertaining depiction of the the struggles and hardships experiencd by the pioneers who transversed the frontier.

This is a wonderful resource for intermediate students. It would probably appeal more to girls, but would make a wonderful companion to Li
This book is a "hand written" journal that is about a young 10 year old pioneer girl, Rachel, who is traveling with her family from Illinois to California along the Oregon Trail. This journal is very informative yet still holds the readers attention with the struggles and problems of the pioneers who traveled the frontier. Since this is Rachel's personal journal, there are her own personal drawings that depict Rachel's corky sense of humor.

I rated this book a 3 out of 5 stars because I think th
Miss Amanda
gr 3-5 unpaginated

1850, Oregon Trail. Rachel tells of her family's adventure on their journey to California. The story, written in a journal format, has a nice mix of story and historical facts. I think readers will also enjoy all the additional drawings and facts that "Rachel" has written in the margins.
Aubrey
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this when I was littler. It's illustrated by the same artist that does Amelia's Journals (American Girl). I used to love pioneer narratives when I was a girl. This was one of my favorites.
Sean Chambers ray
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love pioneer fiction, and this book was no accception. It was an excellent book and I think the author was realistic.
Amelia
Jul 26, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I remeber reading this book in third grade! I loved it so much
Cws
Feb 12, 2009 added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-Mos
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think my granddaughter would love this book.
H.
May 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This was okay. I can see the appeal at a certain level to younger readers with all of the drawings and doodles but I will stick with Laura Ingalls books and actual accounts for my fourth grader.
Kathleen
I adored this book!
Megan Rowland
Rachel's Journal is a kid friendly journal, with illustrations, about a girl and her family going on a journey accross the country. This book is good during social studies when discussing pioneers.
Melody
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great addition to our Oregon Trail class. Great descriptions and artwork in the margins. The kids had a blast reading all of Rachel's doodles :)
Lydia Smedry

• If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • The Thanksgiving Story
  • Rain School
  • The Drinking Gourd: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Bound for Oregon
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • The Great Railroad Race: the Diary of Libby West (Dear America)
  • Matilda Bone
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub

Young American Voices (4 books)
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Hannah's Journal: The Story of an Immigrant Girl (Young American Voices, #3)
  • Rose's Journal: The Story of a Girl in the Great Depression (Young American Voices, #4)