Start by marking “Naked Fashion: The New Sustainable Fashion Revolution” as Want to Read:
Naked Fashion: The New Sustainable Fashion Revolution

Naked Fashion: The New Sustainable Fashion Revolution

Naked Fashion invites you to join the movement of consumers, entrepreneurs, and creative professionals who are using their purchasing power, talents, and experience to make fashion more sustainable.

Anyone with an active interest in fashion and where our clothes come from or looking for a career in fashion and the media will find inspiration and advice on how to make a diff
Published April 10th 2012 by New Internationalist (first published September 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Fashion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Fashion

HBalikov
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
You have seen the headlines: Workers killed in sweatshop disasters; streams polluted with fabric dye; apparel employees paid less than subsistence wages; and at least a million are poisoned by pesticides that are deemed necessary to grow the cotton which is used in apparel. The author does not believe that such events are inevitable in creating fashion and apparel.

Safia Minney knows how to put together words and pictures to dramatize her point that fashion and apparel can survive, even thrive,
Mariana
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone that is into fashion or wants to be in the fashion industry. I'm a fashion design and merhandising major and through the program at my school I've been exposed to a world that I would have never known about with just being a regular consumer. For myself reading this book and knowing that there are so many people fighting for one amazing cause to rebuild a sense of humanity around the world is astonishing to me. Knowing that corporations honestly condone the fact th ...more
Robin
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't find this book educational enough on the fast fashion industry. It was mostly interviews with clients of People Tree's, and felt more like a promotion of their brand rather than slow fashion/fair trade as a whole.
Katherine
This books reads like a glossy catalogue. I thought it would be more of a memoir, but it's just one page entries of interviews with people who have collaborated with people tree and lots of color photos of their clothing. I wish the book was more comprehensive and talked about fair trade fashion in general, not just what people tree is doing.
Leone
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fast Fashion is harmful to people and the planet. We know this and yet consumers seem to have few choices. This book reminds us of why we need to look for ethical fashion, how to be involved in the industry and where to look. It highlights the many people already involved in ethical fashion with lots of thought provoking stories from people in the fashion industry.
April Stanley
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the information supplied by Minney in this book. I feel that she makes a serious effort to help the reader understand the need for social responsibility and sustainability in the fashion industry. The question and answer sessions with professionals in the industry paint a more realistic picture of the changes that are occuring and those yet to come.
emma
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-to-be, nonfic
This is such a beautiful book, full of incredible photographs, wonderful interviews and so much more! Educational (for basics though... I knew everything already, but I'm glad we bought it. ) for everyone interested in fashion.
Madelaine
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
An interesting,fresh look at fashion.
Jessica
Vanessa
Sep 23, 2012
Georgia Whitear
Nov 25, 2017
  • To Die For: Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?
  • How to Set Up and Run a Fashion Label
  • The Fashion Designer Survival Guide: Start and Run Your Own Fashion Business
  • Global Girlfriends: How One Mom Made It Her Business to Help Women in Poverty Worldwide
  • Marketing Fashion: Portfolio Series
  • The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty
  • Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds
  • One: How Many People Does It Take to Make a Difference?
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Fixing Fashion: Rethinking the Way We Make, Market and Buy Our Clothes
  • The Bathhouse
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Basics Fashion Design 01: Research and Design
  • A History of Costume
  • No Greater Love
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • Style Yourself
  • The Empire of Fashion: Dressing Modern Democracy
Safia Minney is founder and CEO of Fair Trade and sustainable fashion label People Tree. Safia has turned a lifelong interest in environment, trade and social justice issues into an awardwinning social business. Safia is widely regarded as a leader in the Fair Trade movement and has been awarded Outstanding Social Entrepreneur by the World Economic Forum’s Schwarb Foundation and an MBE for her wor ...more
“It's just so impressive to see how the women have used making Fair Trade clothes to escape poverty and empower themselves and their children. - Emma Watson” 3 likes