Start by marking “Forbidden Mind (Forbidden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Mind (Forbidden, #1)

Forbidden Mind

(The Forbidden Trilogy #1)

She reads minds.
He controls minds.
Together, they might get out alive.

I've seen into the minds of killers and have crawled into the darkest mental corners of humanity, but even I wasn’t prepared for this.

I thought that when I turned 18 I would be released from my secret school of paranormal spies and free to follow my dreams and make my own life. That's what we all thought.
Published October 14th 2013 by Daring Books (first published September 1st 2011)

The Clearing by Thomas RydderEveryone Burns by John DolanSend More Idiots by Tony Perez-GieseHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeStarshine by G.S. Jennsen
Great Indie Novels
1,786 books — 1,992 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerShatter Me by Tahereh MafiFirelight by Sophie JordanNightshade by Andrea CremerDeadly Cool by Gemma Halliday
best "eye" on the cover
756 books — 1,887 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana Stormblessed
For a book that's less than 150 pages, it was actually a pretty interesting read. Its well written and easy to follow. The story is set in an x-men type academy for paranormal kids. The kids are rented out to rich people to basically let them blackmail others, or for some other immoral dealings. The kids are paid for each assignment, but most of the money is set aside into a savings account for them that they can access when they turn 18 and are supposedly cut lose to go to college and lead a no ...more
Nikki Wilde
Sep 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
What seemed like an excellent premise for a book turned out to be poorly executed.

Sam a mind reader and working for rent-a-kid to turn up hidden secrets for the highest bidder is about to turn 18 and be sent off to college to do as she pleases. Or so she thinks. Little does she know that all at rent-a-kid is not as it seems.

Drake, being able to control minds and being super strong hides out as much as he can. He keeps to himself but his one dream of becoming a surfing legend has him confused. H
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Overall I liked this book. I thought that the whole pregnancy thing was weird. Especially how she didn't even know the guy. The people that they worked for were creeps so I'm glad they plan on exposing them to the world. Now that they are on the run and she is pregnant it will be interesting to see where the authors go with this. Hopefully in the end everything will work out.
V.A. Dold
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this new series! Thank you so much Kimberly for this wonderful gift of entertainment.
Lora
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying, I think this would have been stronger as a full-fledged novel, rather than a novella. I blew through this in less than an hour, and was left with a lot of questions that I think a longer piece could have answered.

The horror element of this piece is strong, even stronger than the paranormal aspect, in my opinion. People reading minds, eh, sure, that's pretty standard, but the horror part? Yikes times a million! The reveal that (view spoiler)
Nickle Love
Originally published in my blog: http://www.nightowlreads.org/2012/10/...

I received a copy of this ebook from the author as part of the book tour. All opinions are my own and are influenced by no one.

I was surprised with how good this book is. Granted it has some elements that I didn't like, but it worked well with the whole story.

While reading, X-men, Dollhouse, and Nikita came to mind. It's like those 3 got married and gave birth to Forbidden Mind. Children and teens with para-powers are kept
Lissette
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently had the honor of reading this book when Kimberly asked for a couple people to review the book before it officially released. I have to say that it was hard to put it down once I started reading it. It was that engrossing and hooked me in from the beginning.

Sam seems shy, at first, but she believes that the people behind Rent-A-Kid are taking good care of her and is looking forward to the moment when she can go out into the world and make it on her own. Her life is going just the way s
Katrina
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shannon Mayer
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Kinrade has put together a great story that has a fast paced plot, likeable yet still very real characters and a twist that was fantastic. :) The story revolves around Sam, an 18 year old girl with the ability to read mindds on the verge of adulthood. It's at this point that her whole world gets turned upside down and she takes us along for the ride.

I really enjoyed this story and am eagerly looking forward to the next book in the series! Well done!!!
Chey
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't know how to rate this. It was poorly written, but you do want to know how it ends. This book could be very good, the story has potential. But it has no build up, NONE AT ALL. Honestly it kinda felt like a children's book trying to enter puberty, but not successfully.. I don't think I'm going to read the next one.
Patti Larsen
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD!! Loved Sam, how real the author kept her despite her talent. She's such a strong female MC, fantastic! And the premise is awesome... great story line, page turner, loved it. Can't wait for the next book!
angela
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, Superb

I loved this, just wonderful. I highly recommend this book / series I truly don't think you'll be disappointed at all.
Lacey
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
First Thoughts:

So I'll admit the beginning intrigued me, the idea of "renting" these paranormal kids out was different than what I'm used to reading. Actually this whole paranormal idea is new to me, most books I've been most interested in has been more realistic and perhaps a tad of supernatural nothing like what I read in this book. I enjoyed the strong connections, the suspense and most of all I enjoyed that not once did I look at how much more I had to read...I loved that it was a fast read
Ally Atherton
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sam is nearly 18 and has the ability to read people's minds. For as long as she can remember she has lived with other children with amazing powers and has been looked after by Rent- A-Kid. Some can walk through walls, others can tell if people are lying. All her needs have been met and throughout her life they have sent her on various assignments where she uses her gifts to help others.
But one day a boy arrives through the doors who can also read minds and she discovers that all is not as it see
T.G.
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Forbidden Mind ensnares the reader within the lives of Sam and Drake. Sam's grown up as a Rent-A-Kid. Drake's been brought in by force. Neither have a choice in what happens to them. The only choice is what they plan to do about it.
I love the strength of the main characters, that they don't plan on taking things lying down. Filled with well-developed characters and a plot that will keep you at the edge of you seat, Forbidden Mind is unputdownable!
Kimberly Kinrade has created realistic, true cha
Michelle Birbeck
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up a little while ago and it's been sitting on my computer waiting for me to read. I am now kicking myself for not reading it sooner!! Having finally got an ebook reader, I started reading this earlier today, and didn't stop until it was finished. I loved the concept behind the book, how everything was paced and how it flowed. I adored the characters and how they dealt with everything that happened.

I am a huge fan of supernatural and paranormal books, and this one was everything I
Sláinte Wanderlust
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastically fucked up book!
Wow my mind is blown by the creepy & twistedness of this story. I LOVED this book.
It was dark and depressing but moving & uplifting also at times.
I cannot wait to read the next books!
READ THIS BOOK!

(to read this review & more like it visit - http://bookprotagonist.blogspot.co.uk/)
 ⇝LEAH⇜
I actually have a updated version of this.. This was updated on my Kindle not long after I finished it and it supposedly has more story to it which is welcome because the original version is short; but good, nevertheless it could be better.
Tahlia Newland
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A terrific, unusual well written story. I really enjoyed it. If you like ya urban fantasy, you'll enjoy this.
John Allen
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong characters in desperate situations. What could be better!
Booknut
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow.

This was deep.

Really deep.

Like, ocean-bottom deep.

Deep-fried deep.

Deep-sea diving dee- ok, I'll stop now. :)

Review to come!

Carol
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up after reading a couple of very intense novels, figuring it was shorter and, hopefully, lighter. It was both: shorter at only about 150 pages, and lighter because it ended up being too short for the reader to become very emotionally involved with the main characters. The plot was fun, and I do so love stories that smack of the paranormal. But the ending was atrocious...no ending or wrap up at all. It so much stops in the middle of the story that I was actually shocked. Why? Why m ...more
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
(Note: The author graciously provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

Kinrade's handling of this darkly dystopian tale makes for some highly compulsive reading! This is a novel full of great characters that the reader can empathize with and get to love immediately. It starts off a bit slowly at first, but then builds momentum until the tension created by the suspense has the reader frantically turning pages to find out what happens next.

The plot involves a sinister, althoug
Adah Udechukwu
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was super awesome
Mykayla Wilson
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I really enjoyed it and can’t wait to get started on the next book. I mean how cool would it be though to have these abilities. Well some of them anyway. I’m looking forward to more of their writing.
Dani
Reminiscent of both X-Men and Alias, Forbidden Mind is simultaneously thrilling and heartbreaking, full of shocking twists and turns that continually took me in directions I never expected. When beginning Forbidden Mind, I assumed that the book would inevitably hold danger and perhaps some mortal peril, but what I wasn’t expecting is how dark the story quickly became. Kinrade includes some pretty serious, heavy themes and subjects in Forbidden Mind, and it’s not for the faint of heart. While thi ...more
Mimi
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sam is sure that college, as well as a normal life, is within her reach. After years of being “rented” out to the rich—and greedy—for her paranormal abilities, Sam can almost taste freedom. She can finally leave Rent-a-Kid on her eighteenth birthday. But when her mind-reading ability allows her to connect with Drake, who has been kidnapped and held against his will by the people at Rent-a-Kid, Sam begins to realize that her life is one big lie. And her dreams—college, freedom, and normalcy—is no ...more
Penumbra Publishing
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
FORBIDDEN MIND
By Kimberly Kinrade
Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy
Ebook provided by the author for review
Reviewed by Willa Kaye Danes, author at Penumbra Publishing

Sam is approaching her eighteenth birthday and looking forward to finally being able to live a normal life, go to college, and be on her own. But Sam is not ‘normal.’ She reads minds. This makes her a valuable asset to her employer she and her friends jokingly call Rent-A-Kid. The organization’s huge campus has every convenience to suppo
Liz at Fictional Candy
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: super-power
This book was introduced to me as X-Men meets Dollhouse. Those are two of my favorites, so my answer was a definite “yes!”.

And it is true, there are X-Men-ish and Dollhouse-ish elements to Forbidden Mind. But I think that is selling it short. There is a giant personal element here that I don’t think either of those other stories captured.

Sam is the female protagonist. She goes to private school and works for the school in an operative type status. The students have dubbed the school as “Rent-A-K
Cass
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review posted at: http://librarymosaic.blogspot.pt/2012...

Review:
I received this book from the author in exchange of an honest review and Forbidden Mind is a thrilling and fascinating story full of twists that are able to take the reader by surprise.
In the world of Forbidden Mind some people, like Sam, have special, paranormal abilities. Sam can, in fact, read minds. She lived with other kids with abilities at a place they call Rent-A-Kid.
When she’s almost ready to leave, she meets a boy named D
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine Books 16 31 Nov 17, 2011 11:53AM

• The Forbidden Trilogy (The Forbidden Trilogy #1-3)
  • Seduced by Pain (The Seduced Saga, #2)
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Torn Together
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Blood Awakening (Blood Burden, #0.5)
  • The Apocalypse Gene
  • Sky Ghosts: Marco (Sky Ghosts, #1.5)
  • When Fully Fused (Schasm #3)
  • iFeel (Vis Vires Trilogy, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Souls (Ivy MacTavish, #1)
  • The Day of First Sun (Wizard Hall Chronicles, #1)
  • Son of Eden (Tales of the Guardian #1)
  • The Silver Sphere
  • Vampire Seeker (Samantha Carter #1)
  • Chameleon (Ripple, #2)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Ignite the Flame (The Sectorium #1)
Karpov Kinrade is the pen name for the husband and wife entertainment duo Lux and Dmytry Karpov-Kinrade, aka The KK Duo.

Together, they write award-winning, internationally and USAT bestselling books, make music, create art, write screenplays and direct -- all the things.

Look for more from Karpov Kinrade in the Vampire Girl series, The Nightfall Chronicles and The Forbidden Trilogy. If you’re looki

The Forbidden Trilogy (3 books)
  • Forbidden Fire (Forbidden, #2)
  • Forbidden Life (Forbidden, #3)
“In one blow, that dream died as they dragged me—him—away. A tear slid down my cheek. I wasn't the only one mourning the loss of a dream.
"I'm sorry."
'You're not alone, I just wanted you to know that. And someday, when I have my powers back and am free, I'm going to do some serious damage to the people who've hurt you.”
3 likes
“I opened the door and stepped in. Raw pain filled me at the sight of my painting.

'Show me what it looked like, before the fire.'

His request surprised me, but I did as he asked. With eyes closed, I projected the exact details of the painting I had poured my soul into. Just as I had experienced his love of surfing in a visceral way, he shared not just the visual beauty of my work, but the love and passion with which I had dedicated myself to it.

'Thank you. Now, it will never truly be gone.'

I choked back a sob and went to Mr. K's office.”
2 likes