Start by marking “Extra Innings: More Baseball Between the Numbers from the Team at Baseball Prospectus” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In 1996, a brassy young team of fans produced a guide to baseball statistics. Printed on a photocopier, its distribution, which was in the low hundreds, was limited to friends, family, and die-hard stat heads. Sixteen years later, the Baseball Prospectus annual regularly hits best-seller lists and has become an indispensable guide for the serious fan.

In Extra Innings, the
Published April 3rd 2012 by Basic Books (first published February 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Extra Innings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extra Innings

Jeremy
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports, baseball
Despite being tedious at points and typo-ridden, Extra Innings was ultimately extremely insightful. It may not have hit a home run, but it was a nice piece of basehitting.
John Lee
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
Definitely a step up from Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong, simply because it's much more modern. This book covers all seasons up until 2011, making for a much more relevant experience. This is another very friendly guide to sabermetric thought, though it covers many more interesting topics and isn't as much about statistical manipulation as the first book was. It really is, as the title states, "extra". However, this doesn't mean that it's bad in any ...more
James
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
With teams, particularly those working under smaller budgets, seeking any advantage, organizations have embraced non-traditional statistics as a means to identify new approaches in the post-Moneyball world. This, of course, makes the folks at Baseball Prospectus happy, because if there’s anything they love more than a new stat, it’s asking thought-provoking questions that force people to rethink long-held beliefs about what works and what doesn’t.

The overall theme of this book is how best to con
Arlo Lyle
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this as much as Baseball Prospectus' previous book, Baseball Between The Numbers. There is still quite a bit of math in this book, and in a few cases math that I would need to freshen up on to fully understand the equations used. However, this book seems to be trying to appeal to a larger audience. As such, much of the math is explained away or added as an afterthought. This is unfortunate. I'm currently reading ex-Baseball Prospectus employee Nate Silver's book The Signal and the ...more
Zach Koenig
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
When I read "Baseball Between The Numbers", it was pretty much my introduction to baseball sabermetrics and I was hooked. This follow-up edition, however, was a bit of a letdown in that it felt like many categories were "reaches" instead of solid statistical digging.

First of all, I really didn't start getting into the book until about the half-way point. The chapters on scouting don't even have a place in this book IMHO, while the multiple steroids chapters again are not the thought-provoking ma
Nelson
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, mathematics
Another good update. Some chapters were amazing.

Exciting stuff like Pitch f/x, pitcher injury analysis, steroids, nanotechnological athlete enhancement, juiced ball physics, and bat physics, signal that baseball analytics is moving in a hard science direction, as much of what is to be discovered through bare-bone statistical analysis has been exhausted.

A couple of chapters by Jason Parks on Scouting Latin American players and scouting players in general, here at the top sabermetric company, sh
Mark Geise
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Anything by the Baseball Prospectus team is worth reading, but I didn't enjoy this anywhere close to as much as I enjoyed their previous offering, Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game is Wrong. What I expected in this book was more detailed statistical analysis, but instead, this had much less. The questions they posit are interesting and the discussion is worth reading, but it was not nearly as enjoyable as Baseball Between the Numbers. The book is broken into si ...more
Jack
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting way to look at baseball.

A number of short essays that cover everything from the response to steroids to how players are scouted/acquired/developed. The writers discuss how we can evaluate general managers and field managers. There are essays on pitching, fielding and offense.

And these are all from the perspective of using statistics and math to draw conclusions.

Some of the essays were a little too obtuse for me. Others are down right eye opening.

Consider the conclusion of evaluat
Aaron Sinner
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball
Briefly: Took its eye off the ball

In the original Baseball Between the Numbers, Baseball Prospectus showed the way statistical reasoning could be applied to many longstanding baseball questions. This time around, the team strives to tackle many questions for which an immediate application of statistics appears difficult. Unfortunately, the way the writing team addresses those problems quickly shows that first impressions can be accurate. The book bounces between chapters that don’t even touch on
Jason Hall
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball
Extra Innings is an excellent follow-up to Baseball Between the Numbers. In many ways, it is superior to it's predecessor. Especially informative were the chapters by Jason Parks on scouting and player development. Colin Wyers brings us up to date on the state of fielding metrics (hint: we have a long way to go), and there are excellent chapters on the amateur draft and what we should make of the "steroid era." I can't imagine there could be a baseball fan who wouldn't enjoy this book. I only ha ...more
Fred Forbes
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
No. I didn't read it in a day, just noticed when I finished that I had forgotten to add it to the list. I am a baseball fan and have an interest in numbers and statistics but this book based on the statistical analysis of baseball is definitely overkill. I am not surprised at it's popularity given the rise of the "Moneyball" style of management, but I am not sure I want to know there is a database being generated for every pitch thrown in major league ball with regard to result, speed, location, ...more
Greg
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Meh. Not as good as Baseball Between the Numbers Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong. I think they had to dig deeper for topics and delve into more specific areas, some of which were interesting but usually they didn't warrant more than a few pages.
Matthew
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Fantastic. Whether you agree or disagree with the authors, the arguments made are clear, concise, and supported with evidence. It's a delightful read for that reason.

Furthermore, the book serves as a mile marker for how far baseball has come. Even with "Moneyball" becoming ubiquitous, the team at BP still manages to find room for experimentation; as stated in the book, bullpens, rotations, and draft picks are areas of particular interest.

A great read for any sports fan.
Railroad_Ross
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting read for baseball fans. Makes some new and interesting challenges to conventional wisdom about defense and does a solid job of framing saber-metric areas of study for the future. A little too math intensive (without solid explanation) and not enough baseball anecdotes for me to give it 5 stars, but a solid follow-up to Between The Numbers. If you liked Baseball Between The Numbers, this book is better and you will enjoy it.
Zeb Snyder
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of essays on baseball from a sabermetric perspective. But don't think of it as a book on statistics. Think of it as Freakonomics for baseball. The authors ask interesting questions about roster construction, how to evaluate amateur talent, and in-game tactics, and provide thoughtful answers based on data. But it isn't about crunching numbers. It's about the thought process. It's about how some folks think about baseball, and it's fascinating.
Brian Sison
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was decent, but nowhere near as good as Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong. The high point was the analysis of the impact of the Steroid Era on the Hall of fame. Low points included an overly long section on scouting in South America.
Chris Witt
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Didn't have the same weight as the first "Between the Numbers" book, which I found very eye-opening and thought-provoking.

Maybe it's just a result of being exposed to so many sabermetric voices over the past few years, but this collection felt very meh. Or at least very "yes, yes, we have read this before on BaseballProspectus.com, Fangraphs.com, TheHardballtimes.com, etc..."
Frank
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: baseball
It's possible I would have given this a higher grade a few years ago. Now, I skipped a lot of the chapters, not having the patience to hack through the dense statistics and dry writing. The work presented is fascinating, but the presentation leaves a lot of runners on base. It's what always set Bill James apart from his peers.
Ray
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of typo errors in the book but it continued the discussion from the previous book by Baseball Prospectus "Baseball Between the Numbers" quite well. It explained a lot of the terms of Sabremetrics such as Warp, FIP, OPS, etc. This is the way baseball is trending by using these stats to get a true evaluation of each player.
Sean
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy the sabermetric inquiry into the game of baseball, it's so refreshing from the talk radio emotional blowhards.
Only quibble, is that some of the information and theories already feel dated and this was just published after the 2011 season. Nonetheless I look forward to BP's next tome.
Liz De Coster
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Wow, these writers are no keen on Jeter.
A collection of essays, each examining a different baseball statistic or case study illustrating the use of the statistic. Good for baseball nerds, but probably too dense for a general audience.
Tara
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball
The Jay Jaffe pieces on the Hall of Fame and the piece on the effect of steroids in baseball are worth the price of admission, as well as Jason Park's on scouting players, but many of the other articles are sorely lacking.
Mark Flowers
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
As with any anthology, some chapters are better than others, and much of the whole section on drafting and development is just not interesting, but by and large this is more great writing and great analysis from the smartest baseball guys around.
Scott Allen
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not smart enough to understand some of the elements contained in this book, but the practical suggestions & summary statements are enlightening!
Jessica
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, baseball
This book really made me think a lot deeper about baseball. Some chapters were more interesting than others, but overall I liked it.
David
Jan 18, 2013 added it
Good book for stat geeks.
Austin Gisriel
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series of essays on the current state of baseball. The section on player acquisition and development as well as on the use of relief pitchers is especially interesting.
James Ballentine
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dollar Sign on the Muscle: The World of Baseball Scouting
  • The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball
  • Mind Game: How the Boston Red Sox Got Smart, Won a World Series, and Created a New Blueprint for Winning
  • The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics
  • Weaver on Strategy: The Classic Work on the Art of Managing a Baseball Team
  • The Hidden Game of Baseball
  • Big Data Baseball: Math, Miracles, and the End of a 20-Year Losing Streak
  • The Bill James Handbook
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • Cardboard Gods: An All-American Tale Told Through Baseball Cards
  • Trading Bases: A Story About Wall Street, Gambling, and Baseball (Not Necessarily in That Order )
  • Fenway 1912: The Birth of a Ballpark, a Championship Season, and Fenway's Remarkable First Year
  • Veeck--As In Wreck: The Autobiography of Bill Veeck
  • The Only Rule Is It Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team
  • The Wages of Wins: Taking Measure of the Many Myths in Modern Sport