Start by marking “Campbell's Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Campbell's Kingdom

Campbell's Kingdom

At 36, Bruce Wetheral, a London insurance clerk, finds he hasn't much time to live. A few hours later he also learns that he has become sole heir to his grandfather's failing Canadian enterprise.

Campbell's land--perched at 7000 feet in the Canadian Rockies--may contain vast resources of oil. The old man's partners offer him a moderate sum for control. He declines the offe

Published (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Campbell's Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Campbell's Kingdom

Dominique
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
Sarah Harkness
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good old fashioned adventure
I think I first read this book when I was 13 or 14, at the same time as I was reading Alastair McLean and Len Deighton. I saw it by chance last week on the bookswap shelves in the gym and picked it up out of curiosity to see how it had aged - and couldn 't put it down! Innes was just a fantastic spinner of yarn, and i really enjoyed it again. I think this is one of his more famous works- if it was published now, they'd make a film of it, as it has all the visual hallmarks of a great action movie ...more
Rick Piatt
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The only way I can describe the experience of reading any Hammond Innes book is to say it feels like I'm reading a 1950's black & white movie. A very good black & white movie.
David Beeson
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How would you spend the last few months of your life?

Bruce Weatheral faces the dilemma when he’s diagnosed with untreatable stomach cancer. It’s hard to know which is worse: the prospect of death within weeks, or the idea that he will spend them living in his dingy rented room in London and commuting to his uninspiring City job in insurance.

But the same day he receives his death sentence, he also learns of an actual death: his grandfather, Stuart Campbell, died the previous autumn, in his lonely
Michael Wilton
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone

Campbell’s Kingdom by Hammond Innes, published by Collins in 1952, is one of my favourite stories, and one I am happy to read at regular intervals when there is nothing else on the skyline.
In essence, after gaining three months first hand background experience of drilling in the Canadian Rockies, Hammond Innes got down to writing a gripping adventure story.
Given only two months to live, 36-year-old Bruce Wetheral returns to his lodgings one day in a dream, feeling that he has wasted his life as
Gerard Laanen
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book in English I read in 1961. I had FL. 2.50 pocket money a week at the time. Books like Innes wrote were about Fl. 2 each. I bought all of his novels available in those days and learned to improve my English considerably that way. I still have all those books. Fond memories.
Rik
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, adventure, fiction
This was much like a Desmond Bagley book, with the same sort of central character; tough, resourceful, ex army, motivator, with high moral standards. The writing was pretty good, and whilst not fast paced it kept my interest, slowly building to the climatic end. You can tell this was written in '52, but that contributed positively to the feel of the book and the raw, rugged, red neck characters. Glad I picked this up at a second hand book fair.
David Gilchrist
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I again love this type of adventure story, that good it was made into a film.
Lee
Hubby is an Innes fan and has almost read his whole catalogue. He thoroughly enjoyed this book and it only took him two days to get through. Comes highly recommended.
Ellen
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was much better than I expected! When I first got this book I had no urge to read it, I only picked it up because it was cheap and the edition matched my other classics, and I didn’t even read the blurb on the back so it was definitely an impulse buy!

Basically, this book follows the character of Bruce Wetheral, an English man, who finds out his Grandfather has died and left him some land called Campbell’s Kingdom. This land was in the Rocky Mountains and Bruce’s Grandfather was convi
Julie Barrett
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Campbell's kingdom by Innes Hammond
About the oil fields in Canada with background of all the intricate details.
His grandfather had formed a company in Canada and he's now the holder of all of the company as his grandfather has died.
Early 1900's He had never given up on finding oil...hydroelectric production and plans...
Bruce travels to Canada and meets many of his grandfathers associates. The lawyers are trying to pressure Bruce to sign the deed over to them...
Lots of mysteries await him as he
Sue Law
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reread of one of my favourite Hammond Inneses and still a gripping, fast paced adventure. One day Bruce Wetheral learns first that he has stomach cancer and probably only 2 months to live and then that his maternal grandfather has died and left him his property in the Canadian Rockies. His grandfather died firm in his belief that there is oil under the property despite the scorn of the world. Should Bruce try to vindicate his grandfather or accept the offer for the land which came with the wil ...more
Derek Durant
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In his era Hammond Innes was one of the UK's best thriller writers and I love all his work. This is one of the best known and a fine example of his talent. How refreshing to start at the beginning and read through to the end in a single thread. It may be a bit dated but it was written and set over 60 years ago.
Lili
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite writers, I'm never disappointed. He always write a gripping good story, and the reader is never disappointed.
Robert Newell
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Superb book, great story and hard to put down. The imagery of the Rockies is really strong. This is one of Hammond Innes best!
Val
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not one of Hammond Innes' best books (in my opinion). It involves oil-prospecting in the Canadian Rockies.
Ilse
rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2018
  • Wyatt's Hurricane
  • Clonmac's Bridge
  • No Return
  • The Last Frontier
  • Angel of Fire (The Macharian Crusade, #1)
  • The Secret People
  • The Last Raider
  • Avalanche Express
Ralph Hammond Innes was an English novelist who wrote over 30 novels, as well as children's and travel books.He was awarded a C.B.E. (Commander, Order of the British Empire) in 1978. The World Mystery Convention honoured Innes with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Bouchercon XXIV awards in Omaha, Nebraska, Oct, 1993.

Innes was born in Horsham, Sussex, and educated at the Cranbrook School in Kent