Start by marking “Food and Trembling” as Want to Read:
Food and Trembling

Food and Trembling

What hidden evasions and exclusions lie behind the subtle perfection of the BLT? What is the etymology of the croissant? Why did we drink all that Bud Lite Lime? What did you do to my face? This collection of writing by Jonah Campbell--metalhead, misanthrope, unrepentant good eater--explores the both the finest and most furtive of culinary pleasures. Food & Trembling a ...more
Published October 15th 2011 by Invisible Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Food and Trembling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food and Trembling

Joey Comeau
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas of food writing. Half the time it stumbles completely free of its fascination with food and into drunken adventure or the weird quiet depths of memory. Jonah writes like a sketch bag asshole with a fancy talking university degree that completely failed to make him any classier. This book is thoughtful and vulgar and hard to describe, but it is never boring. I love it.
Andrew
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Last week I stumbled upon some highlights of Jonah Campbell's recently launched book Food & Trembling, based on his excellent blog, in an article at the Toronto AV Club. I was so taken by the excerpts that I went out that night to my closest, oppressively gargantuan, big-box-bookstore and snagged a copy. I've had it close to hand ever since.

Food & Trembling is a wonderful collection of essays on our (I say "our", meaning humanity's) obsession with food—in both the upliftingly positive an
Arlette
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read a bunch of books about food, but I've never read any other that had me fervently drunk-emailing the author about omelettes at two in the morning. It's chaotic and joyful and loud and hilarious and verbose and sharp and philosophical and full of cussing. It's perfect.

Plus, really, that Julia Child omelette is a total fucking game-changer.
Yuliya
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of books that causes traffic and pedestrian accidents, as I stroll into intersections without bothering to notice I am in one or what color the light is, as I know I only have a limited time to read and I won't waste it on paying attention to where I'm walking.
Niya
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea of the book far more than I liked the book. It may have to do with the disjointed style, the lack of strong narrative, the lack of predictability, or the strange posturing the author seems to do. Readers of the blog will likely enjoy it far more than the uninitiated.
Me
Dec 13, 2011 is currently reading it
GREAT
August Bourré
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and fascinating. I actually finished it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.
Adam
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll be writing a review on my blog. Dress-as-smart-as-you-are.com.
Jialynne