Start by marking “A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship” as Want to Read:
A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship

A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship

A collection of statements Congressman Ron Paul has made over the past 30 years dealing with foreign policy from the date he was first elected to Congress.
372 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Foundation for Rational Economics and Education (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Foreign Policy of Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Foreign Policy of Freedom

Start your review of A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
Dan
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of an alternative viewpoint for US foreign strategic policy since WWII. Although the author begins his ascent into the Congressional stage starting primarily in the 1980's, his frequent allusions to earlier policy coalesce into well formed themes that persist throughout his oratory challenging to the neo-conservatism and the big welfare/warfare body of politic that emerged at the dawn of 21st century. A political and economic scholar, and not unlike a prophet, Dr. Ron Paul ...more
Marcus
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
A selection of Paul's speeches before Congress on topics such as war, taxation, civil liberties, foreign policy, etc. Reasoned, prescient writings against Federal excess: excessive taxing, excessive spending, excessive foreign meddling. If you were to remove references to dates you could apply them flawlessly to their identical, current, policy-blunder counterparts. One maddening déjà vu after another. Many of these fiascos are still festering as badly today.

The book is a collection of previousl
Zinger
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
This book explains how the Founding Father's advice to stay clear of entangling alliances with all countries and free trade with all is the most peaceful and problem free foreign policy any country could possibly have.

The current neo-con policy we have now (supported by both major parties and the main stream media) gives foreign aid to both sides of warring parties and puts US service men in the middle of the crossfire. Both warring sides are pissed off at the US for funding the other side, furt
John
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
There was a time in America that when we left other nations alone, allowing them the opportunity for self determination, as we desire for ourselves. But there was a stark turning point when Woodrow Wilson brought us into World War I. We had no interest in a war amongst European nations, yet Wilson brought us there on false pretenses that he largely created himself. Since then our presidents have been very active in meddling in the affairs of other nations.

Our interfering in the affairs of foreig
Adam
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lot of good stuff in this book. Really cool to see Paul's consistency over the years. Ultimately, though, it was a really draining and depressing read because you see how nobody listened to his sensible, just, and upright arguments for so many years. One imagines that Paul was speaking into a vacuum, and the others in congress just shrugged off his warnings in the 90s of potential terrorist attacks on our soil. So much play acting that had to go on in Washington, attempting to act surprised wh ...more
Claudia
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Peace, commerce , and honest friendship with all nations-Entangling alliances with none.-Thomas Jefferson, First inaugural address, 1801.
Ron Paul speaks to us -The American people_in the House of Representatives. What more can I say? It is respect for the Constitution at its best, and honest smart, strong thinking.
Kym Robinson
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
A dry book of reference material more than an actual narrative. It is a good piece of reading which covers the consistent integrity of Dr Paul during his career as a US Congressman over a period of history with many moments of conflict and human tragedy.

60 %
Tim
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Honestly a great read if you're new to Dr. Paul's ideas on foreign policy. It really shows how seemingly prophetic he was on most of the issues stemming from the horrible U.S. foreign policy of the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. The only negative is many of his speeches do start to sound the same, evidence of how consistent he was and is, so the book can get tedious at times.
Patrick
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compilation of Congressman Ron Paul's speeches while in Congress that demonstrates the disastrous blowback that America's poor foreign policy decisions has had over the course of the late 20th thru early 21st centuries.
Skye Bee
Unfortunately this went a bit over her head. We will revisit this at a later date.
Melissa
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political
"America's policy of foreign intervention, while still debated in the early 20th Century, is today accepted as conventional wisdom by both political parties. But what if the overall policy is a colossal mistake, a major error of judgement? Not just bad judgement regarding when and where to impose ourselves, but the entire premise that we have a moral right to meddle in the affairs of others?"

This book is a collection of speeches that Ron Paul delivered to Congress between 1976 and 2006. For 30 y
Mary
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
I am still not all the way threw with it, but I like the way it makes me ponder more about American foreign policy. And about interventionism. It makes me want to read more books about Foreign policy and American History. Mostly American conflict History, because I really know little history. It's a deep book. Sometimes a difficult read. Only because I do not have some of the knowledge to understand. I can only read a few chapters at a time before I have to just let it soak in or investigate mor ...more
Greg
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is primarily a compilation of Ron Paul's various speeches on the house floor over the past 30 years he has served. They are evidence of Paul's remarkable consistency and all promote a sound, logical foreign policy of non-intervention. He backs up everything with valuable historical or academic information that is so rare in politicians. It does get somewhat repetitive, especially if you've read or listened to Paul before, but that comes with the nature of house speeches. It's hard to b ...more
Katieb (MundieMoms)
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Wow! This was a far better book than I thought. It's very eye opening and if more people would get out of their heads that Dr Paul is "way out in left field" and read this book, they'd be voting for him! I was once one of those people. From reading this book, I've realized that Dr Paul and I agree with many things. There's nothing in his book that's not already proved to be of truth. Too bad Congress hasn't listened to him more carefully. I highly recommend this book, even to those who don't agr ...more
Kaydence
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is eerie in its prophecies and predictions. Ron Paul repeatedly warns against the U.S. providing arms and financial backing to governments around the world and is ignored. Now we see so many conflicts that have emerged from ignoring those warnings.

This is an eye-opener. I didn't realize so many corrupt things were going on in the Government in broad daylight. I mean, of course there is conspiracy or agenda pushing, but it's usually subtle. All you have to do is look at the congressiona
Nick
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting and pretty exhausting read of Ron Paul's stances on the many issues of US foreign policy from the start of his membership in the House of Representatives to around 2006. This book mainly dealt with the expanding American Empire, and America's foreign policy in the Middle East. How intervening in other countries affairs did not strengthen America's National Security, and how doing this caused all sorts of problems for America from the Iranian Hostage Crisis and more enemies to Al Q ...more
Charles H
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The book is a collection of Ron Paul's speeches and journals. As perfectly as such things can translate into a book, they do. The ~300 pages are filled with passion, truth, and honesty. Yet this very property made it somewhat difficult to read. Time and time again Ron Paul would warn loudly of the dangers of U.S. foreign policy. Time and time again he was ignored by those in both dominant political parties--to much loss of life and prosperity. So I was both intensely inspired and angered. I supp ...more
Lewis
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all lovers of freedom
As a US diplomat serving currently in Africa I have a different perspective than some on American Foreign Policy. I see America slipping away from the Constitutional Republic the founders started, and into a militaristic empire that they feared, one that will ultimately bankrupt us economically, politically and morally. Ron Paul, though too extreme in some ways for me, sees this, and offers a way out of this devolution. Just remember, we're all too extreme to someone. That's what representative ...more
David Robins
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reading this and seeing the sensible, non-interventionist foreign policy that Paul has espoused for 30 years makes one wonder what's wrong with the rest of Congress - I suppose one answer is greed and short-term thinking. I rate this high for content, but since it's primarily Paul's speeches, there is a lot of repetition (fortunately some salient paragraphs are bolded), since when given they were separated by weeks or months. But it's important that they were included to see his consistency; one ...more
Dhatchard
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive collection of all the speeches Congressman Paul has give before the House relating to America's Faulty and unconstitutional foreign policies spanning his entire career as a Congressman since the early 1970's.
Full Title is a quote from one of our founding fathers and the words of advice to us regarding the United State's role in the world. "A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship"
Adam
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
It is a colleciton of speeches Paul made on the House floor during his Terms in Congress. This takes Ron Pau's ideas from End the Fed and Revolution and applies them to real life scenarios. The same points are made redundantly throughout many areas; so it may be difficult to read cover to cover. Still they are very good points explained well and illustrated as best they can be; through proposed solutions to the world's real problems as discussed at the House of Representatives.
Don Incognito
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of Ron Paul's speeches in Congress (it does not include other speeches) during his congressional career. It's an excellent book for learning which recent U.S. government policies he has supported and opposed. However, it's no help in understanding Ron Paul's overall political philosophy or his motivation.

The book is poorly edited, with many typos and spelling errors, but still perfectly understandable.
Bob
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not the easiest book to read but the content is worthwhile. This book is mostly made up of speachs that Ron Paul gave on the house floor and other places. It proves one thing without a doubt and that is that Ron Paul is 100% consistent on foreign policy. His non-interventionist approach which he preaches today is exactly the same as the policy that he encouraged and fought for going all the way back to the 80's when he first served in Congress.
Cormacjosh
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book which clearly explains what is wrong with our present foreign policy, and how following the foreign policy of our founders worked in the past, and can work today.

Since discovering Dr. Paul, I have felt less frustrated with politics, because I know he has read and applies all of his viewpoints according to what Our Constitution allows.

I know now that I am not alone in feeling that this is how things should be done.
vince beazel
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I can follow our nation's pattern of committing to both sides of a conflict, going back 110 years, after reading Dr. Paul's book...

We have lost perspective as a nation; there are no checks on our spending or our foreign interests. Anyone can buy influence with this federal machine; we see no one standing up to oppose this abuse of power, with one exception...Dr. Ron Paul.
Laura Aka LoLo
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Paul is hekka smart the only guy who makes any sense of our bad foreign policy. He has solutions to the many problems we are currently facing with our economy, health care, immigration etc etc. If everyone read this book we would be well informed on the things that need changing here in the US. He is truly a great patriot in my lifetime!
Jon
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, politics
Excellent collection of Ron Paul's speeches while in Congress in regard to foreign policy. It is amazing that he has so much consistency in his message over 20 years in and out of Congress. Number 1 rule he quotes over and over from Thomas Jefferson: No entangling alliances, trade with all. Read this and you'll have a new understanding of Iraq and the Middle East.
Jackye  Stephens
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, historical
Ron Paul wrote a book with a collection of statements he had made over the past 30 years dealing with foreign policy from the date he was first elected to Congress in 1976. His speeches, articles and journal entries are a great history lesson about foreign policies and economics. Dr. Paul speaks simply and with great wisdom since he's been saying the same thing since 1976.
Christopher
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought it would be Ron Paul's ideas on Foreign Policy and written as such to make a solid argument for non-intervention but it ended up being a compilation of his speeches from the house floor. Still a really good read as he does give that argument in his speeches but not exactly what I expected.
Mark
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-politics
This is a collection of Ron Paul's speeches on Foreign Policy in the House. If you have not read or listened to any of his speeches, I can attest they are absolutely great. One can tell that Dr. Paul puts a lot of work and preparation into the speeches which no one in the House cares to heed. Dr. Paul will go down in history as the man who re-ignited the flame of liberty in our day.

• The Law
  • The Theory of Money and Credit
  • Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest & Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
  • Human Action: A Treatise on Economics
  • Propaganda
  • Cosmos
  • The Essays
  • Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
  • LSD: Doorway to the Numinous: The Groundbreaking Psychedelic Research into Realms of the Human Unconscious
  • Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook
  • Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality
Republican United States Congressman from Lake Jackson, Texas, a physician, a bestselling author, and a former 2008 U.S. presidential candidate.
Originally from the Pittsburgh suburb of Green Tree, Pennsylvania, he studied at Duke University School of Medicine; after his 1961 graduation and a residency in obstetrics and gynecology, he became a U.S. Air Force flight surgeon, serving outside the Viet