Start by marking “The Imaginary Emperor” as Want to Read:
The Imaginary Emperor

Read eBook

The Imaginary Emperor

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Joshua Norton is bankrupt and desperate in antebellum San Francisco at a time when the whole nation seems to have gone mad. He discovers that madness is a viable option, and so becomes Joshua Norton I, dei gratia Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico; a position many people of the city happily accept. He soon discovers, however, that even with the power of m ...more
Published June 15th 2011 by Untreed Reads (first published May 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Imaginary Emperor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Imaginary Emperor

Richard Sutton
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Steve Bartholomew is first, and foremost a storyteller. The Imaginary Emperor is the second of his books I’ve had the rare pleasure to read, and once again, as I turned the last page I was very disappointed to have the tale come to an end. He is also a discerning researcher and this book shows his skills in that area very well indeed. Throughout the pacing is excellent, the voice perfect for the period while still remaining immediate and accessible.

This is the story of Civil-War era San Francis
Rebe
As an introduction to the life of Emperor Norton, this is a good book. As a work of fiction, as art, it's rather mediocre. Reading this wasn't a chore, and there are certainly elements I appreciated (such as the irony of Sophia's ending), but the writing isn't particularly captivating, inventive, or elegant. Meh.
Robert Davidson
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was recommended to me by Richard Sutton. I'm appreciative of the advice as I thoroughly enjoyed it as a piece of light, but nevetheless well researched, reading. The author, Steve Bartholomew, crafted it with just the right amount of finesse for it to be exceedingly entertaining.
My thanks to both Steve and Richard.
Haphazard802
Somewhat amusing

It was mostly story, with some facts I guess. Despite the introductory disclaimer I still anticipated more of a historical accounting.
Book-reader
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A vividly detailed, well-researched story about San Francisco in the 19th century, and the true historical figure who declared himself emperor. Funny and real, and well worth reading.
Cynthia Brewster-Keating
John Martine
is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2018
Untreed Reads: Audio Booksigning: Steve Bartholomew 1 1 Sep 13, 2013 03:57PM
The author was born a long time ago. He spent three years in the US Army where he learned a lot of vital skills, such as how to use a soldering iron and screwdriver, as well as how to make the bed, mop the floor, and wash dishes. He grew up and spent most of his life in San Francisco. After obtaining a useless liberal arts degree, he became a social worker and did more than 20 years in the mean st ...more