Start by marking “I Knocked Up Satan's Daughter: A Demonic Romantic Comedy” as Want to Read:
I Knocked Up Satan's Daughter: A Demonic Romantic Comedy

I Knocked Up Satan's Daughter: A Demonic Romantic Comedy

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Jonathan Vandervoo lives a carefree life in a house made of legos, spending his days building lego sculptures and his nights getting drunk with his only friend-an alcoholic sumo wrestler named Shoji. It's a pleasant life with no responsibility, until the day he meets Lici. She's a soul-sucking demon from hell with red skin, glowing eyes, a forked tongue, and pointy red dev ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Eraserhead Press

Dustin Reade
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even though he says he doesn't want to be remembered for this book in his introduction, I think this may be Carlton Mellick's finest hour.
So far.
Of course.
I mean: "his finest hour so far."

This book is exactly like a romantic comedy. Because it is one. And secretly, everybody likes romantic comedies. Those who speak out against them love them the most. (see how I did that? Now, anyone who comments on this review and says "I don't like romantic comedies!" will look like a fool who REALLY likes r
John Jr.
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’ve never even heard of the Bizarro Fiction genre before I stumbled across “I KNOCKED UP SATAN’S DAUGHTER.” But the combination of the B-Movie inspired title, the wildly warped description, and that inappropriate but beautiful cover completely caught my eye. I needed something new to read this week, so I decided to give Mellick’s “demonic romantic comedy” a try.

Surreal humor usually works best in small doses. I’m a big fan of surreal short comedies like “Aqua Teen Hunger Force” and “Children’s
William M.
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 AND 1/2 STARS

Mellick comes out swinging in this excellent bizarro tale. A wacky blend of romance, comedy, and Troma-type violence, I Knocked Up Satan's Daughter is a lot of fun to read. The relationship of the characters feels authentic from their perspective and the journey Mellick takes us on feels familiar yet original at the same time.

Because events seem to conclude how you might expect in a romantic comedy, Mellick still delights in reminding his audience that his Tarantino violence is s
Kit
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The first time I read a Mellick novel I was underwhelmed. A close friend is a huge fan of his and of bizarro fiction in general, so when she recommended him, I was game. That book fell very flat and I'd been unwilling to try him again.
Finally, I decided to try again, and she said this book was one of his best. I was not disappointed this time, and, in fact, I enjoyed the romance of this book in spite of the excessive violence and absurdity. This was an enjoyable read, despite some very odd choi
Scott
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had everything. Romance, violence and gore, trips to Hell, Jesus Cyborgs, dinosaurs made of LEGO’s come to life in an amusement park, shredding families alive, body parts whizzing overhead. I would rate this every star in the sky if I could. It was absolutely hilarious and a little bit brilliant.
Christine Desrochers-Broderick
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hilarious!!!
Teresa
In the beginning of this one, CMIII mentions that there was a running joke about who would write the first 'romantic comedy' in Bizarro. Well, with this book, he accomplished the task. Yes, it read like a movie, which isn't surprising, seeing as how he DOES say he followed some sort of seven point plot line that all those Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore movies have. Which is cool and all, but I think I like my books more like books than movies.

That being said, I still liked this book quite a bit. I
Matthew Vaughn
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro, reviewed
In Carlton Mellick III's introduction he talks about romantic comedies and how no matter how much he hates them he can’t stop watching them. I have to agree with him, there is something about romantic comedies that suck you in. It doesn’t matter how bad you may hate the actors, if it’s on, most people will sit and watch it until the end. Even if they hate the fact they’ll never get those hours or minutes back.
I never felt like I wasted any of my life reading I Knocked up Satan’s Daughter, though
Jeff
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan's family considers him a loser because all he ever wanted to do was build things with Legos. He even lives in a Lego house that he built himself.

One day a cute demon from Hell shows up at his door and tells Jonathan that she is pregnant with his child. Nine months ago she had her first assignment as a succubus, which was to seduce Jonathan and absorb his soul, but she goofed and absorbed his seed instead and has realized that she is in love with him and wants to marry him.

This doesn't g
Eric
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, bizarro-fiction
By all accounts, losing your soul to a succubus is not a very pleasant experience. Oh sure, there’s sexual activity involved. But there’s nothing fun about eternal damnation.

But what if a succubus falls in love with her victim? And what if the succubus is the cutest little pixie in Hell? Suddenly you’ve got a Reese Witherspoon/Ryan Reynolds romantic comedy on your hands. Or a zany Carlton Mellick III novel.

As we all know, all rom-coms have a crazy cast of supporting characters. This one is no
RoboCrew
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you go into this book with no expectations you might be pleasantly surprised. It's full of gore and kink and shock, but also a lot of genuine heart. It's also very funny. If you read the back cover you will probably think it's idiotic or ridiculous, and it is... but it works. It also helped to imagine the whole scenario as some kind of twisted John Hughes meets Tim Burton and they direct a Clive Barker screen adaptation. Its also very short, 152 pages, so it's a quick read with a lot packed i ...more
Kevin
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book. Put it off for a while just because it's advertised as a demonic rom-com. I knew it would probably be good because it was Mellick but I just struggled to start it. I shouldn't have waited. It was fantastic. So many great ideas crammed into one book. I could have read another 130 pages with the characters and hope he does a sequel where they spend more time in Hell. This one has no badly drawn comic at the end like the last few I read. Never enjoy the comic's Mellick draws ...more
Stefanie Von Guest
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night and absolutely adored it. A brilliant take on the " Romantic Comedy" genre. The build up of emotions between the characters is what I enjoyed most about this book and how they conquered their differences between family.

A gorey book (Like various other Carlton Books) but still it keeps a lot of emotion and the characters make you fall in love with them!

A perfect addition to my ever expanding Bizarro collection!
Ame
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro
In-between Lego dinosaurs having a merciless chomp fest on the frightened folks at Legoland and the hurling of spines in a local bar, there lies a love story of charmingly demonic proportions. Behold the oldest story ever told, when boy meets succubus, succubus tries to take boy's soul, but succubus screws up and gets preggers with unholy offspring. Bizarro rom-com couldn't be sweeter.
Kyle Muntz
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best romantic comedy I've seen. It's adorable, funny, and occasionally gross, with a nice side-dish of gore. The interesting thing is it's a romantic comedy: like, it goes through all of those very familiar motions except they aren't familiar anymore. I've always loved Mellick's romances, and this sits really well next to the Haunted Vagina as one of his best light-hearted books.
Eric M
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I had fun with this one, but just fun. I didn't get that strange little high I got from reading Haunted Vagina. I keep thinking how the story should have gone darker toward the end. I suppose this is how Mellick wanted it. Light and poppy.
Lonnie
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Recognizing that this was not meant to be a literary piece, but instead to be simple and many ways ridiculous, I let myself go with the story and found myself laughing and enjoying an equivalent of romantic comedy that debuted on the Sci-Fi Channel.
Michael Ling
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, he pulled it off and actually managed to create a well done romantic comedy...who knew it was possible!? This book sucks you in to the story and by the end you really do care for the characters....adding a lego subplot was just icing on the cake, too!! Good stuff!
Jason Payne
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable romp wherein the Lego-obsessed son of a scary-religious family accidentally impregnates the succubus out to take his soul to Hell. Hijinks, romance, and a fair amount of ultra-violence ensue. Fun for all ages.
Victor HofsøY
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i fell so in love reading this book! reminded me of my own experiances in the love department and the preasure from family during the pregnancy of my first born! hell and back just to have the love we both deserved! not as violent, but a nice stroll thru memory lane! well done CM3!
Judy
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not for one second was I deluded into thinking this would be an intense literary classic, but I did think it would be a little less stupid. I enjoy silly mindless reads from time to time but this one was just a little too ridiculous.
Bill Fletcher
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's all relative, right? If you like Carlton Mellick, you'll really love this one. If you don't, well, this one may annoy you slightly less.
Katie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Surprisingly not terrible.
The ending sucked though, he tried to just wrap it up way too quick. Very unrealistic, even for a book about human-demon babies.
Joshua
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro-fiction
I really enjoyed it. A well-written story with lovable characters. Highly recommended.
Keira
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bizarro
Overall, the book was simple and pretty silly, but the climax and epilogue were worth trudging through the rest of the book.
Josh Bunting
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarre, fantasy, fiction
Rom-com for guys who don't like rom-coms, but love Satan.
Duane
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mellick
Weird, hilarious, and oddly heartfelt, this is my favorite Carlton Mellick III book so far.
Yoki
  • Jimmy Plush, Teddy Bear Detective
  • Shatnerquake
  • Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged
  • Starfish Girl
Carlton Mellick III (July 2, 1977, Phoenix, Arizona) is an American author currently residing in Portland, Oregon. He calls his style of writing "avant-punk," and is currently one of the leading authors in the recent 'Bizarro' movement in underground literature[citation needed] with Steve Aylett, Chris Genoa and D. Harlan Wilson.

Mellick's work has been described as a combination of trashy schlock