Start by marking “The Wind From Miilark (Norothian Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Wind From Miilark (Norothian Cycle, #3)

The Wind From Miilark (The Norothian Cycle #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The third volume of the Norothian Cycle, wherein the exile, Jonathan Deskata, returns home to the Islands of Miilark. Sometimes late is not better than never.

With the Trade House disbanded during John's absence and his Law Sister, Rhianne, reduced to poverty, the last of the Deskatas have no choice but to take up the ancient Island right of the blood vendetta, and turn to
Published (first published September 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind From Miilark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind From Miilark

Teresa
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I still really like this series. It gets too bogged down in details at times, but once you learn to skim the 1000 year old history parts the story really goes.
Kyra Halland
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The third installment in the highly-enjoyable Norothian Cycle, The Wind From Miilark focuses on John Deskata, who has headed home to Miilark to try to rescue his family's fortune and be reunited with his love Rhianne. The situation when he arrives home is dire, and, vowing to avenge his family's downfall, he sets out with Rhianne, a gangster-assassin named YuPao, and the sailors and fighters who are still loyal to House Deskata to drive the family that ruined his to their own ruin.

This book seem
Melissa
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Although I normally make small individual reviews, this series has me doing the rare combined review. I LOVED this series. I do mean L.O.V.E. This series NEEDS to skip everyone's to be read lists and go straight to BUY. This series, entirely, had me entranced. I did not stop, not even for air. This series is great for men and women alike. There is no doubt in my mind that this series can easily make for an amazing muti-million (Hundreds) dollar movie series.

With all that being said, on with the
Lorena
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am still *loving* this series, and I can't wait for volume four. The series has darkened since the first book (which was darkish to start), yet the arcs of the characters feel true. Highly, highly recommended for fans of heroic/epic fantasy.
Charlene
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
keep reading, it only gets better

absorb the history and geography, you're going to need it. you're going into the culture and minds of the inhabitants of the lands across the channel. now you'll really get to know who/why John Deskata is.
Techcobweb
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprising ending
Kara Prem
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
In this 3rd book of the Norothian cycle was not my favorite. The first 10 chapters dealt only with John Deskata and new characters. John has returned to Miilark, too late to stop the dissolution of his family's Trade House. He was exiled because he was sleeping with his "law sister" Rhianne. She was basically adopted by his family, he slept with her and was exiled and she continued to live in luxury, and was beautiful and all the statues on the island were modeled after her "almost indescribable ...more
Mark
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, I wasn't expecting that! What an absolute barsteward...

Who, what and why, I hear you ask. To find out the who and the why you'll just have to read the what, which happens to be the third mammoth instalment of M Ed McNally's Norothian Cycle series, The Wind From Miilark.

Now, I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I am rather limited in my descriptions of the novel, but I will say it builds on the high standards McNally set with the first two instalments, The Sable City and Death of a Ki
Christine
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In a way, it's silly to start a review from scratch on the third book in any series. Because you're not going to look at this unless you've already read the first two, right?

So, let me say that if you HAVE read the first two (and if you haven't, and you love epic fantasy, you'd better get right on it) this book will not disappoint you.

We open on John Deskata returning to Miilark and his only love, Rhianne (remember her?). We didn't know much about her in the first two, but now we go deep. She's
P.J. Jones
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It has taken me a few days to try to find the right words to sum up how I feel about The Wind from Miilark. Sadly, I doubt any review I write can do the third book in this saga justice. I humbly realize now, that unlike M. Edward McNally, I am not that great a wordsmith.

The characters in this novel often times refer to their fates as being unpredictable, and they are metaphorically speaking, blown by the wind. As I read The Wind from Miilark, I felt as if I was being blown about in a storm. Just
Heather Adkins
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
point of no return.

That's what happens in The Wind from Miilark. The characters we have come to know and love throughout the first two books of McNally's Norothian Cycle come to a point from which they'll never be the same. Just like the title might suggest, the winds of change - the winds by which the Miilarkians live their lives - bring about terror, destruction, and even the hope for a new future.

This book is hard. It deals with hard themes, and it ends on a note even more difficult than you
Lynne Cantwell
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
McNally has once again provided readers with a crackling good time.

In the third installment of his Norothian Cycle, John Deskata goes home to Miilark to find his ancestral home being dismantled by Miilark's new ruling house. With help from allies -- including Rhianne, his foster sister and the love of his life -- he procures a pirate ship and embarks on a war against his new foes.

Despite some old friends turning up along the way, things don't go exactly according to plan.

And Rhianne must get t
Férial
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

My least favorite so far. The way events eventually unfolded are hardly credible (view spoiler)

NB: The numerous typos were distracti
Andy
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
the twist at the end was excellent.
a great read and a great series
KD Rush
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My review for this series can be found here...
Matt Reed
Jan 02, 2014
Erik Heller
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Yikes, this page gave me an option to enter my "date of death." That's disheartening. Anyway, North Carolina born Irish/Mexican, grew up Midwestern along I 35 Northbound (KS, IA, MN), now in AZ among the scorpions and javelinas. Studied English Lit and Russian/East European History in school, and at the place where the two bumped together, I wrote some Musket & Magic Fantasy books. Deus Impedi ...more
More about M. Edward McNally

The Norothian Cycle (5 books)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Death of a Kingdom (Norothian Cycle, #2)
  • Devil Town (Norothian Cycle, #4)
  • The Channel War (Norothian Cycle, #5)