Start by marking “Himmelsgöttin” as Want to Read:
Himmelsgöttin

Himmelsgöttin

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  26,489 Ratings  ·  1,284 Reviews
Eine Insel in der Südsee, Palmen, Strand, eine atemberaubende Blondine und ein paar Wilde: das Paradies auf Erden. Allerdings nicht für Pilot Tuck, den geborenen Verlierer. Die Eingeborenen entpuppen sich als Kannibalen, und die Sexbombe als pures Gift.
Doch das ist noch nicht alles - ein skrupelloser Arzt mißbraucht die Insulaner für seine Geschäfte. Zusammen mit einem ver
Published 1999 by Goldmann (first published August 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Himmelsgöttin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Himmelsgöttin

Lyn
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore tells the story of Tucker Case, a ne’er do well corporate pilot who, after a hilarious allusion to Shakespeare, winds up in a chaotic Moore created bad trip in Micronesia.

Somewhere along the way we meet reformed cannibals, a transvestite Filipino navigator, some wacky Pacific Ocean cargo cults, and the ghost of a WWII fighter pilot. Not one of his best novels, all the same, Christopher Moore novels join the ranks of pizza and sex where a good
seak
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2012
Christopher Moore is a popular writer and satirist in the vein of Terry Pratchett and Kurt Vonnegut with titles like Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal; You Suck: A Love Story; and many Moore (how could I resist?).

Island of the Sequined Love Nun was actually my first foray into his work, but what got me more than anything else, even more than Moore's popularity and humor, was the title itself. It says it all. And after having read it, it's actually an extremely fitting t
Mick
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay. I like humor. Some people tell me, based on my looks, it's darn good I like humor, 'cause I sure need a sense of it. I like funny movies, funny stories, dirty jokes; what I don't see a whole lot of, are funny books. I mean, laugh-out-loud funny books.

ISLAND OF THE SEQUINED LOVE NUN is a witty exception. I had read Christopher Moore before ("Coyote Blue"), and while I enjoyed his work, his humor was just a tad too quirky (and for me, that's saying something). But with this book, I had a go
Elise
Jan 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dick joke enthusiasts
Shelves: abandoned, fiction, 1990s
This book reminded me of Meet the Parents, a movie that I stopped watching after the main character's name was revealed to be Gaylord Focker (his first name has "gay" in it and his last name sounds like "fucker"! That is hilarious). So when Moore presented the character Zoophilia Gold, I knew that the book could safely be added to my trade-in pile.

Granted, my simple lady-mind is ill-equipped to recognize and appreciate humor. In the 30 or so pages before Zoophilia's entrance, nothing struck me a
Bandit
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure it's impossible not to enjoy Christopher Moore's books. His awesome imagination creates these terrifically preposterous scenarios and his killer combo of wit and humor turn every story into such a fun read. About the only author to consistently have me laugh out loud during reading. Tucker Case is a disgraced pilot with a quite literally Shakespearean (Hamletian to be specific) past and a revoked license. When he gets an offer he simply can't refuse to be a private pilot for a sm ...more
Marvin
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does Christopher Moore know how to write a bad novel? Does he even know how to write an average novel? While Island of The Sequined Love Nun is not the equal of Lamb and A Dirty Job, it is still a total delight with Moore's cast of insane characters and tightly woven if outlandish plots. And of course It is frigging hilarious. Cargo Cults, talking bats, stripper bimbo masquerading as goddess, pink Lear jets, transvestites. All the sort of things that no one but Moore could tie together in a funn ...more
Twan
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Island of the Sequined Love Nun is absolutely hilarious. Christopher Moore has a style akin to Tom Robbins, of whom I am a big fan. Sardonic and clever. Excellently ridiculous story line, completely engaging. If done right, could be made into an excellent movie. I highly recommend this read.
Rachel
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-08, humor
somewhere between 3 and 4 stars...but definitely closer to 4.

very different from the previous christopher moore i've read.

i guess i've stuck to the "supernatural" moore (except for "lamb" which is in a genre of its own), so this is the first "normal" novel of his that i've read.

(and yes, i use the term "normal" very loosely)

"island..." was reminiscent of carl hiaasen (one of my favorite authors), so overall i really enjoyed it.

i was slightly disappointed with the ending...i felt it just sort
Wendi
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you read the first chapter of this book you will say to yourself, what the He**? Only not in a bad way. I could not stop reading and actually had read halfway through by the end of the day. It is about a washed up pilot who is an alchoholic and is asked to fly a jet for a Mary Kay type person. Needless to say, the jet is bright pink. The opening chapter sums the main character up pretty much in a nut shell, his luck with flying, booze and women. It only gets better from there. I hope I didn ...more
Yael
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've now read several of Christopher Moore's novels, and each one leaves me more impressed with his skill as a novelist than the previous one. Island of the Sequined Love Nun is no exception. The story of Tucker Case, a totally hopeless geek trapped in the body of a gorgeous jock, Island of the Sequined Love Nun is an epic journey into a world of cargo cults, cannibals, mad scientists, ninjas, and one talking fruit bat.

After Tucker Case manages to demolish his boss's pink executive jet during a
Marta
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shark People, a Sky Priestess, a Sorcerer, Roberto the talking fruit bat, a man-girl navigator, an old grouchy cannibal and a complete loser who thinks with his penis make up the cast of Island of the Sequined Love Nun. In proper Moore form, some supernatural and some insane silliness ensues. Tucker Case starts out as sex obsessed loser jerk, but slowly turns into a decent human being while uncovering the mystery and his sense of decency.

Starts out rather low-brow and dated, but it picks up and
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
Feb 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _-_abandoned_it
I suspect that if I was the type of person who found the very idea of naughty spanking unbearably hilarious, I would have loved this book. Moore seems to write for the kinds of people who consider the phrase "fur handcuffs" to be a laff-riot punchline, deserving of its own paragraph. Sorry -- I've read enough shocking filth that sex on a plane doesn't strike me as all that titillating.
Bettie☯
pub 1997
boy humour
autumn 2012
madcap adventure
fraudio

Not sure I will get to the end of this but it's enjoyable enough in the background for the moment.

3* Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
2* Island of the Sequined Love Nun
TR A Dirty Job
2* Practical Demon Keeping
4* The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
stormhawk
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkably Crazy

Like most of Christopher Moore's books, I can't reveal much, if any, of the plot without spoiling the delight. Rest assured, there is a whole lot of quirky going on to the tune of the Glenn Miller Orchestra, Technicolor explosions, and the most horrific personal injury in the history of American literature.
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Amusing:
Quite entertaining; pleasantly diverting; causing a smile or laugh!

Stephanie Griffin
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Island of the Sequined Love Nun, by humor writer Christopher Moore, begins with a ne’er-do-well pilot named Tucker Case, hanging upside down from a breadfruit tree, about to be a cannibal’s next meal. After crashing a plane belonging to the Mary Jean Cosmetic Corporation, he gets a job offer from a missionary doctor on a tiny island in the Western Pacific ocean. An adventurous trip just trying to get to the island ends with him in the tree and begins the mysterious story of the island itself.

Sa
Chris White
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any good book will do, this one is going to change me, I just know it. And I'm scared.

I had to track this sucker DOWN, okay? I usually read books that are available at my local library, and this one was on a back shelf in a distant annex across town, which boded something, right off the bat. And when I finally arrived at said location I proceeded to confuse the hell out of the librarian--either that or she just enjoyed hearing me repeat the title over and over again out loud.

Here's the deal
Alice
Jun 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because it's been on my to-read for a while, and I needed something light and funny to cleanse my reading palate, so to speak. This was definitely the right choice.

Tucker Case, who shares a history suspiciously similar to a certain Prince of Denmark, gets himself in hot water with a prostitute who wants to join the mile-high club. His best friend gets him out of the way by shunting him off to a job in the South Pacific, where he's supposedly running supplies for a tiny islan
Amanda
Sep 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christoper Moore fans/humor lovers
Some of Moore's books I get into and others just don't do it for me. This one was kind of a middle of the road read. It started out slow, but I got into it by the end.

Tucker Case is a pilot for Mary Jean cosmetics out of Texas with a little bit of a drinking/girl problem. When the attentions of a prostitute and one too many drinks cause him to crash, his career looks to be at an end, with his boss threatening bodily harm for the bad publicity and the prostiture talking lawsuit. So an offer from
Peter
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Verzweifelt suche ich ja immer noch nach dem ersten Buch, mit dem mich Christopher Moore nicht begeistert. Auch bei der Himmelsgöttin ist ihm nicht gelungen, mich zu enttäuschen.

Ein kleines Meisterwerk das sowohl in seinen Helden wie auch seinen Bösewichten begeistert. Fein gezeichneten Figuren, die vor allem durch ihre sympathischen Schwächen überzeugen, manövrieren von einer abstrusen Situation zur nächsten. Neben Kannibalen, Ärzten und transsexuellen Seefahrern spielt auch der Geist eines Pi
Nic
Jan 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just not my type of book. I only read it because a client of mine brought it in to me claiming I needed to read it as it is one of her favorite books. I don't think she knows much of my reading tastes and because she loved it thought I might too. I did not enjoy it in the least and just found it stupid. Sorry to those of you who love this book it's just not something I would ever choose to read on my own. I can understand people liking it if this is the type of book they usually read, if it is t ...more
Mitch
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was surprisingly hilarious and a fantastic and trippy ride! I've never read anything by Christiphor Moore before, but this book was so different from everything I ever read and so although it won't go into history like The Great Gatsby or Of Mice and Men, it is still a read that I think everyone should attempt!

I don't even want to give anything away by describing the plot so I'm just going to provide random snipets: a nerd trapped in a cool guys body who has his male parts impaled in a
Carol
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny fantasy about an isolated island and its (mostly) reformed cannibal tribe. A former missionary doctor remains on the island after his job ends and becomes rich with the help of his former stripper (now surgical nurse) wife. A WWII pilot and a present-day pilot become intertwined in an effort to save the islanders from the exploitative couple. A transvestite and his talking fruit bat friend Roberto help out.

There are lots of laughs in a Moore novel, and this is no exception. There is only o
Maigh
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reliably good writing, makes me wish I read his books in order from oldest to newest.

Best paragraph of the book, that made me - literally - lolz:

"I want you to stop them. I want covert action and deadly technology. I want Navy SEALS and snipers and spies and laser-guided smart stealth gizmos out the ying-yang. I want surgical strikes and satellite views and a steaming shitload of every sort of Tom Clancy geegaw you got. I want fucking Jack Ryan, James Bond and a half dozen Van Damme motherfucker
Ethan
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Moore is funny, inconsequential, and breezy. His books are candy. Don't think too much about the plot, because it doesn't really come together. He admits in his Afterword that his approach to research is, "Is this accurate, or should I be more vague?" I like that he admits that, because trying to read his books with any eye toward realism or consistency is, as he puts it, "like using glazed donuts as a building material."

Still, the book was funny enough, although not quite as clever
Vanessa / Little Gold Pixel
This is my first Christopher Moore book, even though he's been recommended before. It is pure insanity, and I mean that in the kindest way. Take highly unlikely circumstances and add hilarity, you will get this book.

The only reason I docked a star was because there were several times I nodded off during technical descriptions of airplanes and other mechanics. My advice: just skip a few pages and pick up where the dialogue starts up again.

*SPOILER*

Also, best ending ever. I love that Tucker manage
David Schwan
Very fun to read novel. Christopher Moore is best when he does original material. The book starts out with a wacky situation and that state of affairs continues the whole time. There is a dark undercurrent threaded through the story yet the author is able to keep the story light hearted. The ending is quite satisfying.
Kelli
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting a dark quirky comedy
I have recently discovered the strange, crude, hilarious world of Christopher Moore. This book happens to be one of my favorites. It's packed with memorable characters and crazy plot twists all set in the wonderful South Pacific. Cannibals, ninjas, hurricanes, stolen organs, and talking bats... Oh my!
Jamie Collins
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This is an older Christopher Moore book, and I liked it even more than I was expecting to. It’s quite funny, yet with a serious plot underneath Moore’s trademark goofiness. This one held up for me all the way through, when usually I enjoy the setup of his novels more than the final act.
Anna Knutson
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best travel book ever! Light hearted and easy enough to digest even with the most crippling jet lag, but plenty of twists to keep you turning pages. I <3 Christopher Moore.
  • Too Many Curses
  • Cross Dressing
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Native Tongue (Skink, #2)
  • Big Trouble
  • Santa and Pete: A Novel of Christmas Present and Past
  • The Golden Gizmo
  • The Da Da De Da Da Code

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums
More about Christopher Moore...

“Boredom can be a lethal thing on a small island.” 162 likes
“After all the evidence is in--after you've run all the facts by everything you know--and you're still lost, you have to do some things on faith.” 18 likes