Start by marking “Kenny's Window” as Want to Read:
Kenny's Window

Kenny's Window

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Kenny wakes up one night remembering the magical garden he's been dreaming about. A rooster gives him seven questions to answer, which stimulates him into awareness and maturity. He realizes that it is not necessary to discard a dream or hope because it cannot be achieved at the moment.
Published February 17th 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Kenny's Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kenny's Window

Kenny
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cover"/

Maurice Sendak's first children's book about a boy named Kenny, just like me, who goes on a quest to find a garden he had been dreaming about. To do this, Kenny must answer seven questions given to him by a rooster. Kenny’s pet dog, toy soldiers and stuffed animals and help him out along the way.

cover"/

When this book was written, Maurice Sendak had been known only as an illustrator but with this book, his he became known as an author and complements in words the poetic quality of his pictures. Kenny is
Brian
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still contemplating the book, and I may end up bumping it to five stars...

It's a children's book that most adults could stand to should read. It's full of concepts that kids should be exposed to, but they're also concepts most kids aren't going to wrap their heads around, the first time around. Do you want what you think you want? How do you discover what you really want? And how do you handle it when what you want doesn't jibe with what someone else wants?

It's quite brilliant, and quite bri
Tyler
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one is better than Maurice Sendak at portraying the strange, sad, and heartfelt feelings of childhood dreamtime.
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Lovely little story. Reminds me of Toy Story in a way. Definitely captures the spirit of boy.
Jennifer B.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit longer than I was prepared for. Nice illustrations, though.
Maya Watts
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that struck me about Kenny’s Window is that the illustrations were different. Maurice Sendak used some watercolor in this book. The dedication in this book is also touching; Maurice dedicates it to his parents. The majority of the art is similar to others by Maurice, pencil drawings with one accent color, yellow. On some pages the text is part of the illustration and others it is separated. Most pages have the words on one side and the illustrations on the other. The story is ab ...more
Dominick
What a strange, fascinating book this, Sendak's first, is. It plays on the riddle trope--if Kenny answers the seven questions given him by the four-legged rooster, he can have whatever he wants--but does so very unconventionally, as it blurs the line between reality and imagination and shows that, even from the beginning of his career, Sendak had a keen insight into the complex emotional landscape of children. Despite the cool simplicity of the illustrations, there is a lot of angst bubbling ben ...more
Madison Godfrey
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Sendak’s first book he wrote and illustrated. This book is based on boy who finds himself in a garden that is half lit by sun and moon. This is a fantasy story told as a tale. In the story Kenny meets a four-legged rooster that tells him he can stay in the garden forever if he answers seven questions correctly. Kenny is then sent on a quest to answer the questions. Some teaching ideas that this book could be used for are teaching children to write very imaginative things and to draw wha ...more
Yvonne
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no
Hmmmm. I didn't know there was anything Maurice Sendak did which I could feel hohum about, but here you go. In a dream, Kenny looked out his window and saw, among some other things, a rooster with four feet. The rooster gave Kenny a piece of paper with seven questions and told Kenny he must find all the answers.
Kenny proceeded with his days -- and found the riddles' answers in the everyday! Yay!
The illustrations are bland, the story is bland. Do you suppose Where the Wild Things Are and The Nutc
Dorothy Dentata
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: valerie
Only logging the best of the books I've read to V this year, and this is totally one of the good ones. It's been part of our quest for junior chapter-ish books, divided into 7 'questions'. It's poetic and symbolic and beautiful and I kinda want to make everyone read the chapter about how an only goat is a lonely goat. Beautiful simple illustrations on every page too, so charming.

V's verdict: absolute approval. We are reading it a fourth time over, at her request.
Ivan
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very special book about a little boy answering life's hard questions. The illustrations are very beautiful, but not what we are used to from Sendak. The story is simple and simply told, but it is also dark - or rather somber and philosophical. The boy's relationship and interactions with his teddy bear, toy soldiers and his puppy are poignant without being sentimental.
Christy
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Kenny dreams of a fabulous land where he would like to live always, and in his search for it discovers many things about himself and about growing up. ‘An unusual, imaginative story . . . in which reality blends with make-believe.' 'SLJ. 1956 Children's Spring Book Festival Honor Book (NY Herald Tribune)
Maria
The wonderful illustrations I expect from Maurice Sendak. Not for me, though I have no real complaints other than the persona. I simply didn't connect with the story or character, which might just be where I'm coming from. It might be that Sendak got better over time (this was the first book he both wrote and illustrated), or that I have trouble relating to a 1950s story.
David
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A very surreal children's story debut from Maurice Sendak. The themes are very subtle and kind of lost even to adults. It seems to lack a *real* theme or point other than the power of a child's imagination. A very psychedelic read that will probably be more interesting to adults than kids for its surreal and existential tone.
Renee
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kiddos
Beautiful with a tinge of melancholy, like the best of Sendak's books. I always slip into a specific reading pace and volume while reading "Little Bear" and "Where the Wild Things Are". This book was no different. He writes a special kind of hushed magic.
Michelle Despres
A large part of this story was Kenny figuring out responses to 7 questions he received in a dream. Love the idea, but only loved a few of the questions. Note, though, that I am an adult reading a children's book.
Kathy England
I found this at a used book store this past week. See review of The Sign on Rosie's Door. Not terribly impressed. I felt like it was Sendak's answer to Alice in Wonderland, except for smaller children. I also thought he might have been just a bit high when he wrote it.
Polly
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dreams
Kenny's Window is Sendak's first book--that he both wrote and illustrated. It gives great insight into all of his following work. My Master's thesis on the subject is only 30 pages and should be done soon if you care to read more...
Kate
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What is a very narrow escape?"
"When somebody almost stops loving you," Kenny whispered back.
I love this book. Maurice thought it was over written and didn't like the illustrations, but this is one of the most moving children's books I've read.
Chickenlips422
Jul 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is not Where the Wild Things in the least. I did not enjoy it at all. The illustrations are beige. The story does not spark the interest of children.
Suzanne
This is my favorite childhood book of all time!
Jacob
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful.
Margaret
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Sendak- beautifully illustrated, clever clever clever, heart-breaking, and important.
Kelli Melendez
Mar 31, 2008
Susan Honthumb
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Maurice Sendak was an amazing author abd artist. his stories are so simple, yet so profound.
Angela
Sensitively done, the story is good for any age. My memory care folks appreciated the sentiments and could easily identify with the protagonist. The book is also on tape (cd?)
Emma
  • Solomon the Rusty Nail
  • What Happens on Wednesdays
  • The Tiger Who Would be King
  • The Swineherd
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...