Start by marking “Madonna and Me: Women Writers on the Queen of Pop” as Want to Read:
Madonna and Me: Women Writers on the Queen of Pop

Madonna and Me: Women Writers on the Queen of Pop

For nearly 30 years, Madonna has been at the center of the media spotlight. She has sold more than 200 million records worldwide, launched her own record label, headlined an Oscar-award-winning film, authored bestselling books for both adults and children, inspired global street-fashion trends, and instigated international debates over a range of feminist issues from sexua ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Soft Skull Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Madonna and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madonna and Me

Start your review of Madonna and Me: Women Writers on the Queen of Pop
Lisa
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Starts off fun, but 30+ stories about "the first time I heard Madonna and how that made me feel," is a bit much.
J Clement Wall
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you think you’ve read all you ever want to read about Madonna, I don’t blame you and, trust me, you’re wrong. Madonna & Me is a collection of 39 essays written by fierce, funny, insightful women, each reflecting on the undeniable impact Madonna has had on them, on music, on pop culture, and on the world. Like her or hate her (and the writers in this collection do both), Madonna has commanded our attention since she burst onto the scene, “shiny and new,” in the early 80s.

Read my entire review
Rosemarie
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I finally finished this book. It took a while, but it' a collection of essays - something I don't read very often - and it's easy to read one or two essays and then put the book down and go on to something else for a time. It's also true that the essays are all well written and it often took me time to DIGEST each one before I even wanted to move on.

This is a book for Madonna fans, but be warned that some of the essays are not positive, and that's why I took one star off. I think it was a mistak
Chantay
These are a collection of essays about women and their perceptions of Madonna. Madonna has always challenged society. Fighting gender stereotypes, racial bigotry, and patriarchy. She takes on the roles of mother/whore and blends them into a hybrid that mocks the system.

I thought each woman was going to have a feminist in-depth description of Madonna the persona. There are a few authors that do take a deeper look at Madonna. A lot of the essays though seem to offer more personal anecdotes about
Lani
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I've been reading a lot of compilations lately, and I really need to stop. Unfortunately, the more you narrow the field of expertise, the harder it is to find good writers...

This book didn't have many bad essays, but it did have a few and it had a LOT of overlap. Fortunately, I am a big sucker and really like reading about Madonna. I was surprised at the few and far between critical essays, but I suppose we do need variety, and she's a controversial lady.
Laura Mazer
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Too much fun! Great smart writers on the influence Madonna has had on our lives.
Blythe
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Francy
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I feel many of the essays were a bit repetitive, but I still enjoyed this.
Elaine
Dec 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: shelved
I keep thinking about why I didn't like this book. I like Madonna and her story, even own a couple of her albums. I like short stories. I actually only read the first three stories before I shelved it. I found them boring. They were all about the authors as little Catholic girls and how she came across to them. I guess because I was older when Madonna came on the scene, I couldn't relate and I didn't feel like it was worth digging any deeper.
Adam Goldberg
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
As someone who’s admired Madonna for her courageousness over the years, I was pretty let down by this collection. It was ALL over the place and at points, I didn’t know whether the contributing writers were voicing disdain or admiration. Glad I read it and appreciate the idea behind it, but this is definitely a one time read.
jill
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology, feminist
Most of these essays were more about "me" than "Madonna." I had expected more of a cultural studies anthology, with essays placing Madonna in a broader context. There were a few that fit that expectation, but many more about the writers' personal feelings about Madonna. Like most anthologies, this one was hit and miss for me. I particularly liked Mary Gagliano's piece about how Madonna affected her youthful relationship with her Catholicism; it was a funny and vivid remembrance of how weirdly ob ...more
Migdalia Jimenez
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
The stories were good, but they all started to run into eachother after a while. I would recommend this if a) you're a 'true-blue' madonna fan, b) an anthology aficionado, or c) interested in exploring what it was like to grow up a catholic girl in the 80's/90's, the latter of which was very well presented in the book.
Rose
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For fans of Madonna alike, read articles about the Queen of Pop - appraising her and those with apathy towards her. Either way, each article is well-written and so insightful! I would re-read in a heartbeat. Very interesting.
Erin Tuzuner
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays, 2013, music, xx
Madonna may not be an artist, but shes a hell of a business woman. These essays expand and contract on that theme through the lens of authenticity, heteronormativity, and personal remembrance. Also, sex.
Brian Judd
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it

Silly fun. My favorite essay is called, "Madonna is Boring and Lazy."
Pat Keenan
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Private, spirited and gifted writing. Kelly K. Trumpbour's inspiring writing comes from the heart.
Michelle

• Face It
  • The Princess Diarist
  • A Christmas by the Sea
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
  • The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)
  • Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
  • My Lives
  • Go Pro - 7 Steps to Becoming a Network Marketing Professional
  • A Lotus Grows in the Mud
  • Between a Heart and a Rock Place: A Memoir
  • Lips Unsealed: A Memoir
  • Love, Lucy
  • Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir
  • The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage
  • Ladies Who Punch: The Explosive Inside Story of "The View"
  • The Vegetarian
  • Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #1)
  • Almost Interesting
Laura Barcella is an author and freelance journalist currently based in Brooklyn.

She wrote "Know Your Rights!" (Sterling, 2018), Fight Like a Girl" (Zest Books, 2016), "POPULAR" (with Lauren Urasek; Sterling, 2015), "The End: 50 Apocalyptic Visions From Pop Culture That You Should Know About… Before It’s Too Late" (Zest, 2012), and "Madonna & Me" (Soft Skull Press, 2012).

As a journalist, she has

News & Interviews